+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 9 months Proscar use....STILL LOSING HAIRS!!!!.

I've been using Proscar for 9 months now and I still seem to be losing hairs when I shampoo and also when I apply hair gel. I thought by now that I would have significant hair growth and my hair would have stopped falling out??? There is only the slightest decrease in the amount of hair loss since i started taking Proscar. FML i feel like giving up now....

Quote Originally Posted by townie View Post
    I've been using Proscar for 9 months now and I still seem to be losing hairs when I shampoo and also when I apply hair gel. I thought by now that I would have significant hair growth and my hair would have stopped falling out??? There is only the slightest decrease in the amount of hair loss since i started taking Proscar. FML i feel like giving up now....
    I am in the SAME boat man. 9 months on fin and I have lost about 30% of my hair. WTF.

How much are you losing? I am not an expert, but I believe 5 to 10 hairs(maybe more?) lost when shampooing or applying minoxidil is considered normal. I lose this many when I apply minoxidil, and I have regrown some hair since starting treatments close to 9 months ago. Now if you are losing 50 to 100, that seems a bit much.

Shoot. 5-10 is normal? I lose 20-30 in the shower, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    How much are you losing? I am not an expert, but I believe 5 to 10 hairs(maybe more?) lost when shampooing or applying minoxidil is considered normal. I lose this many when I apply minoxidil, and I have regrown some hair since starting treatments close to 9 months ago. Now if you are losing 50 to 100, that seems a bit much.
    Normally when shampooing I would lose about 15 hairs and normally when applying minoxidil I would lose about 5-10 hairs max!

Quote Originally Posted by townie View Post
    Normally when shampooing I would lose about 15 hairs and normally when applying minoxidil I would lose about 5-10 hairs max!
    Maybe somebody else can chime in here, but I really don't think that is actually bad. Everybody loses hair, and although there are people here that say that they stop losing hair when using certain treatments, that's impossible. Even for people that don't have MPB, they also lose hair when brushing, styling, shampooing, etc.

If you are losing massive amounts of hair, I would worry. 10 - 15 hairs, shouldn't be a big deal, unless they aren't growing back.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Maybe somebody else can chime in here, but I really don't think that is actually bad. Everybody loses hair, and although there are people here that say that they stop losing hair when using certain treatments, that's impossible. Even for people that don't have MPB, they also lose hair when brushing, styling, shampooing, etc.

If you are losing massive amounts of hair, I would worry. 10 - 15 hairs, shouldn't be a big deal, unless they aren't growing back.
    To me an interesting discussion... Why do you think hair sheds, sometimes even up to a year+ when a man begins using finasteride? I have a theory, but would be interested in knowing what others think.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

35yearsafter, I would love to hear your theory!

I have nothing to back this up at all, so if I am wrong oh well. I think as fin or even minoxidil improve the quality/thickness of your hair, you will shed hairs. Hair just doesn't go from thin and wispy to thick hair. I believe that will every improvement cycle, it is proceeded by a shed.

But I don't think shedding can really be defined as 5-10 hairs during brushing or washing. Or is that considered a shed?

I have nothing to back this up at all, so if I am wrong oh well. I think as fin or even minoxidil improve the quality/thickness of your hair, you will shed hairs. Hair just doesn't go from thin and wispy to thick hair. I believe that will every improvement cycle, it is proceeded by a shed.

But I don't think shedding can really be defined as 5-10 hairs during brushing or washing. Or is that considered a shed?
    What is the best way to take Proscar(1/4 tablet)??? I normally take the tiny tablet first thing in the morning after a bowl of cereal.