9 months Proscar use....STILL LOSING HAIRS!!!!.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • townie
    • Aug 2012

9 months Proscar use....STILL LOSING HAIRS!!!!.

I've been using Proscar for 9 months now and I still seem to be losing hairs when I shampoo and also when I apply hair gel. I thought by now that I would have significant hair growth and my hair would have stopped falling out??? There is only the slightest decrease in the amount of hair loss since i started taking Proscar. FML i feel like giving up now....
  • ericgerard
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by townie
    I've been using Proscar for 9 months now and I still seem to be losing hairs when I shampoo and also when I apply hair gel. I thought by now that I would have significant hair growth and my hair would have stopped falling out??? There is only the slightest decrease in the amount of hair loss since i started taking Proscar. FML i feel like giving up now....
    I am in the SAME boat man. 9 months on fin and I have lost about 30% of my hair. WTF.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
      • Jun 2013

How much are you losing? I am not an expert, but I believe 5 to 10 hairs(maybe more?) lost when shampooing or applying minoxidil is considered normal. I lose this many when I apply minoxidil, and I have regrown some hair since starting treatments close to 9 months ago. Now if you are losing 50 to 100, that seems a bit much.

Comment

• ericgerard
        • Jan 2014

Shoot. 5-10 is normal? I lose 20-30 in the shower, at least.

Comment

• townie
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
          How much are you losing? I am not an expert, but I believe 5 to 10 hairs(maybe more?) lost when shampooing or applying minoxidil is considered normal. I lose this many when I apply minoxidil, and I have regrown some hair since starting treatments close to 9 months ago. Now if you are losing 50 to 100, that seems a bit much.
          Normally when shampooing I would lose about 15 hairs and normally when applying minoxidil I would lose about 5-10 hairs max!

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
            • Jun 2013

Normally when shampooing I would lose about 15 hairs and normally when applying minoxidil I would lose about 5-10 hairs max!
            Maybe somebody else can chime in here, but I really don't think that is actually bad. Everybody loses hair, and although there are people here that say that they stop losing hair when using certain treatments, that's impossible. Even for people that don't have MPB, they also lose hair when brushing, styling, shampooing, etc.

If you are losing massive amounts of hair, I would worry. 10 - 15 hairs, shouldn't be a big deal, unless they aren't growing back.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
              Doctor Representative
              • Aug 2012

Maybe somebody else can chime in here, but I really don't think that is actually bad. Everybody loses hair, and although there are people here that say that they stop losing hair when using certain treatments, that's impossible. Even for people that don't have MPB, they also lose hair when brushing, styling, shampooing, etc.

If you are losing massive amounts of hair, I would worry. 10 - 15 hairs, shouldn't be a big deal, unless they aren't growing back.
              To me an interesting discussion... Why do you think hair sheds, sometimes even up to a year+ when a man begins using finasteride? I have a theory, but would be interested in knowing what others think.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
              forhair.com
              Cole Hair Transplant
              1070 Powers Place
              Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
              Phone 678-566-1011
              email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
              The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
              Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• ericgerard
                • Jan 2014

35yearsafter, I would love to hear your theory!

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                  • Jun 2013

I have nothing to back this up at all, so if I am wrong oh well. I think as fin or even minoxidil improve the quality/thickness of your hair, you will shed hairs. Hair just doesn't go from thin and wispy to thick hair. I believe that will every improvement cycle, it is proceeded by a shed.

But I don't think shedding can really be defined as 5-10 hairs during brushing or washing. Or is that considered a shed?

Comment

• townie
                    • Aug 2012

I have nothing to back this up at all, so if I am wrong oh well. I think as fin or even minoxidil improve the quality/thickness of your hair, you will shed hairs. Hair just doesn't go from thin and wispy to thick hair. I believe that will every improvement cycle, it is proceeded by a shed.

But I don't think shedding can really be defined as 5-10 hairs during brushing or washing. Or is that considered a shed?
                    What is the best way to take Proscar(1/4 tablet)??? I normally take the tiny tablet first thing in the morning after a bowl of cereal.

Comment

• win200
                      • Jul 2012

Agreed. A person with a full head of hair loses ~100-150 hairs a day from hairs naturally entering a telogen phase. Even if you don't have MPB but vigorously shampoo, you're going to get a few hairs on your hands. I'm also not positive what people mean when they say "in the shower"--do they mean the hair they see on their hands after shampooing, or literally everything that goes down the drain (like, they use a hair guard and then count?)?

After switching from fin to Avodart, I'm down to like 3-5 hairs on my hands in the shower. I see a couple when styling, but it's pretty much ground my loss to a dead halt. Fin didn't do that. If you're not satisfied with fin and comfortable with dutasteride, I'd give it a try. It's made a big difference for me (but it took around four months to take hold).

Comment

• Dan26
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by win200
                        Agreed. A person with a full head of hair loses ~100-150 hairs a day from hairs naturally entering a telogen phase. Even if you don't have MPB but vigorously shampoo, you're going to get a few hairs on your hands. I'm also not positive what people mean when they say "in the shower"--do they mean the hair they see on their hands after shampooing, or literally everything that goes down the drain (like, they use a hair guard and then count?)?

After switching from fin to Avodart, I'm down to like 3-5 hairs on my hands in the shower. I see a couple when styling, but it's pretty much ground my loss to a dead halt. Fin didn't do that. If you're not satisfied with fin and comfortable with dutasteride, I'd give it a try. It's made a big difference for me (but it took around four months to take hold).
                        Win did you go through a shed on dut? First 1-2 months seemed liek my hair thickened and wasn't shedding that much, then...BOOM, shed like a mofo for the whole past month (month 2.5-3.5), especially in the front.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                          • Jun 2013

What is the best way to take Proscar(1/4 tablet)??? I normally take the tiny tablet first thing in the morning after a bowl of cereal.
                          Sounds good to me. I take fin at the beginning of the day also. For me, it is hard to focus on sides when I am busy at work.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by win200
                            I definitely have not ruled out dutasteride. It is my back up plan if fin stops working, or the results are unsatisfactory.

Comment

• huawei
                              • Jun 2013

Looks like I'm in this boat as well now

I started at the end of July last year and shedding continued until the end of November. At this point in time I decided to up the dose as many hairs were rather unseated in my hairline and apart from a two week reprieve when I upped my dose I have been shedding nonstop. A bit over a month ago the shedding increased quite drastically for a couple of weeks and I viewed it to be a good thing as my shed original shed followed this pattern before slowly stopping a month latter. However this time around instead of slowly stopping it just decreased to the amount that's normal for me which would be a lot by anyone standards.

Comment

Working...