+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by cs2257 View Post
    Step back for a second.

I do not know how or why this happens, so Im not going to point to DHT. I do know that my scalp starts to tingle/itch whenever I have caffeine. I had gone 2 months without caffeine(believe it or not...I have some resolve) because I had noticed this being the case. Today I felt I needed a pick me up...and boy did things get itchy.

It doesnt necessarily have to relate to MPB directly. It could be caffeine and some unknown factor causing this. For me though, green tea and coffee exacerbates my hairloss/makes my scalp uncomfortable, which is why i choose to abstain as much as possible

I'd like to mention that when my hairloss started I was under intense stress, took sleeping pills/drank a lot.....and dosed on caffeine. (GF Cheated on me, New job stress, crushing student loan debt....)

Since starting propecia the itch is mainly gone and the hairloss has slowed....possibly due to propecia. However, whenever I have caffeine im back to square one with oily hair and an itchy shedding scalp.
    I occasionally get dermatitis on my scalp when i'm really stressed which I use corticosteroids or aloevera gel really helps. Stress screws with your hormones a lot man, My scalp is so much less irritated when i'm relaxed and balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroes View Post
    I occasionally get dermatitis on my scalp when i'm really stressed which I use corticosteroids or aloevera gel really helps. Stress screws with your hormones a lot man, My scalp is so much less irritated when i'm relaxed and balanced.
    So would you imagine that a cortisol spike caused by caffeine intake could trigger this?

I've read that hairloss due to stress comes months after the event.

In the case of caffeine though, the result seems to be instant.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cs2257 View Post
    So a little background...

For the last year I've been noticing a strong itch within several minutes of having Coffee, Green Tea, or any Caffeinated Soda.
    When I rub or scratch the itch, hairs fall out in that region.
    The same beverages also put me on edge to a degree. Why would it causes the itch/hairloss?

When I cut out soda/caffienated beverages, the itch is gone/I shed less.

Does this indicate anything? Has anyone else had the same experience?
    Dr. Sharon Keene in Arizona wrote a series of articles focusing on identical twins with diverse lifestyle habits including smoking, alcoholism, sunburn, etc. This was a series of epigenetic studies designed to zero in on what is generally beneficial and detrimental to healthy hair growth. Coffee was found to be beneficial to healthy hair growth. Not sure if it's the caffeine or what. I will occasionally have a "Monster" energy drink that's loaded with caffeine without any hair shedding side effects. Keep in mind that some individuals react differently. For example, I have a friend who is at risk of anaphylactic shock from eating peanuts. Everybody's distinct while a minority of people are radically different. Although there are general rules for improved hair growth, it's always best to follow a general time-tested plan to determine what works best for you as an individual, and what doesn't.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Sometimes my faith in medicine is pretty low. If androgens controlled MPB completely and solely then your really finding different variables between people but its not really controlling or related to MPB but the statistics might falsely lead you to believe it is and even show as statistically significant. I just dont know if its really true that say drinking coffee actually helps with hair or if its just a coincidence less bald men drank coffee or that less bald men drank more of it. The coffee itself might not be doing anything related to MPB. Then its a question of what in the coffee even does it?
    The big problem is there is no way to sift through those variables and figure out what causes what and that is partly why medicine is so bad at complicated problems like MPB that could have many factors or just a few undiscovered ones in combination with known ones. Then since we cant everyone guesses and snake oils galore like we have.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Sometimes my faith in medicine is pretty low. If androgens controlled MPB completely and solely then your really finding different variables between people but its not really controlling or related to MPB but the statistics might falsely lead you to believe it is and even show as statistically significant. I just dont know if its really true that say drinking coffee actually helps with hair or if its just a coincidence less bald men drank coffee or that less bald men drank more of it. The coffee itself might not be doing anything related to MPB. Then its a question of what in the coffee even does it?
    The big problem is there is no way to sift through those variables and figure out what causes what and that is partly why medicine is so bad at complicated problems like MPB that could have many factors or just a few undiscovered ones in combination with known ones. Then since we cant everyone guesses and snake oils galore like we have.
    Well it's pretty factual that androgens cause mpb just
    Look at young guys who take steroids and go bald. It could be the androgens setting off different reactions but at the end of the day our
    Follicles are sensitive to androgens. I hear ya dude. The problem is not scientist would disregard someone else's studies to
    Look elsewhere if the information is already there about androgens and hairloss. It's all about masking with the pharms

black tea is supposed to decrease DHT while Green Tea is supposed to increase DHT. I know some guys on hair loss talk forums experimented and got no results or noticed any differences with both types of tea since you would need to consume an impossible amount for it to have an effect...

Yeah or does black tea actually decrease DHT or did the study come to a false conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Yeah or does black tea actually decrease DHT or did the study come to a false conclusion?
    It made no difference, just like saw palmetto and other vitamins do not have the strength to increase/decrease. If they did they would be sold only with a script.

How can you ever tell whether the itch was going to happen anyways or its caused directly by say green tea and not any of the other stuff you ate or drank or treatments your using? I have the itch too and if one thing is for sure its not at all consistent when it happens or doesnt. I could make a list a hundred items long of things I ate or did when I got the itch and probably find some pattern. Doesnt mean there is a relationship there.