+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why is baldness seen as an old man's disease?

While in reality most of the people losing their hair are young men. If you have the baldness gene, you would start noticing hair loss as soon as in your teens. If you haven't lost hair till 30, you are almost guaranteed to keep your hair. This is because your testosterone levels and subsequently your DHT levels drop significantly after you reach 30. If higher levels of DHT couldn't cause hair loss in your 20s, why would it cause hairloss after 30? Some men do start to lose hair after 30, but that is more in the female baldness pattern, that is diffused thinning, due to the rising estrogen levels.

I started losing it late 20's, I'm nearly 45 and still thinning, albeit very slowly. Starting to show now, that's for sure.

Personally I think there's a big difference between 'hairloss' and 'balding'. And to be frank, the majority of men going visually going bald are 40 plus. There is no denying that.

Edit: I don't have much time right now, but just want to add that your theory about the age thing and diffuse thinning somehow being connected to 'female pattern baldness' and estrogen levels is utterly and hilariously wrong. Not sure where you get this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    I started losing it late 20's, I'm nearly 45 and still thinning, albeit very slowly. Starting to show now, that's for sure.
    That is what I said, that is, those that start to lose hair late (like you) lose it in a female baldness pattern (diffuse thinning).

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Personally I think there's a big difference between 'hairloss' and 'balding'. And to be frank, the majority of men going visually going bald are 40 plus. There is no denying that.

Edit: I don't have much time right now, but just want to add that your theory about the age thing and diffuse thinning somehow being connected to 'female pattern baldness' and estrogen levels is utterly and hilariously wrong. Not sure where you get this stuff.
    How can you say that. At NW3, you are visibly bald, and most men with baldness gene reach NW3 much earlier than 40. I was a NW3 at 18.

Yeah guess I am more diffuse, but whatever.. The end game is going to be a high NW for me..

Unlike my 49 yr older brother.. He has a solid head of hair, zero loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post

No, its not wrong. You would notice that even men with NW0 have thin hair at 60+.

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    No, its not wrong. You would notice that even men with NW0 have thin hair at 60+.
    The fact that your testosterone and dht levels (very gradually) decrease as you get older really is the only thing you got right in that post of yours. Allow me with to further elaborate tomorrow.

Don't know if it has any relevance to Estrogen levels, but I always look like a slim ectomorph, carrying some weight now tho, six pack is a two pack. Guess that's aging tho?

Still wonder if Fin would be of benefit to someone like me..

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Hair loss hits guys at about 10% per decade of life....meaning about 20% of guys in their 20s are losing their hair and about 70% of guys in their 70s are, although by that age even "good haired" guys will be seeing all the hairs themselves thinning.

I suspect its thought of as an old guy's problem for a couple of reasons.

First...guys get sensitive when they look different than their peers...higher forehead, crown thinning...makes a man wonder, even the most secure man.

Second...other people, male and female comment on these differences...As a facial plastic surgeon I all the time hear female patients receiving snide comments about crowsfeet, bags under the eyes They are just as insecure as us balding guys

Third...hollywood stereotyping has beaten all of this into our psyche.

Fourth...it is part of the aging process...for better or worse our genes and luck hit some of us in the hair area.

For my part, if we can take a guy with significant loss up front and give him a hairline that will be acceptable at age 40-50, that is a fight worth taking every time. But if you have a really young guy with a crown problem and genes that suggest he might lose a lot of hair...I personally try to get them to hold off. Unfortunately a good number of these guys, at least in our area, go for a crown case and then are lacking in donor hair a few years later when they really need it up front.

Remember hair is the finite resource, not money, spend it wisely.

Dr. Lindsey
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile