+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

IMHO, it has far more to do with the genetic disposition we receive at the time of conception. We simply can't change our genetic make-up.

The hormonal changes including those that are produced as we age also have a major impact on hair caliber, hair density, pigmentation, and overall hair quality.

Yet take a guy like John Kerry who appears to retain the same level of density and caliber but has lost all pigmentation.

Not many men his age with a head of hair like that!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Does any one know the history of MPB, specifically what was the rate in which 18-21 year olds lost hair? I am aware that is has gotten worse over the centuries, the biggest possibility being diet.

Just because humans made an old man's disease now also a young man's disease, doesn't mean it's natural or it was supposed to be that way.

It hasn't gotten worse. What makes you say that? Do you have any proof? People just like to state that, because they think they see a lot more young people balding.

The sad truth is that, it was already the case for previous generations. My grandfather told me there were balding 18 years old with him in the army.

It's not diet, just the genes, as it always has been.

Honestly it usually is an old man disease. We are all just extremely unlucky. It's not 50% until 50 so until age 50 half of all guys have all their hair.

It's just that, it always happens at some point in adulthood, or late teens. So it's more likely to see older people missing their hair, because they had to lose it at a point before. Are you following my not so twisted logic?

The fact is that as Spencer always say in the introduction of his show: 2/3 will be suffering from hair loss by the age of 35. There are a lot of people suffering from hair loss that are only in their twenties.

Do you really know that much people who sport a full head of hair until they are 70, then start balding? Hair loss is not an old man's disease, this is just a misconception in my opinion. You can thank the media and hollywood for that.

Hair loss is just genetic, and it can happen to anyone who's entered puberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    I started losing it late 20's, I'm nearly 45 and still thinning, albeit very slowly. Starting to show now, that's for sure.
    It you're going to go bald that the best possible outcome.

The thing is it is seen as an old man disease because it is most noticeable when guys are older/old. Most guys are losing hair by the time they are in their 30's, but for the majority of those guys they can still disguise their loss or are in the early stages where most in society wouldn't classify them as bald. Most don't even know what a norwood is and would not take a second look at an older guy with a higher hair line. With the exception of many of us on this forum, most people will not have very noticeable(higher norwoods, thinning) hair loss until they reach their 40's or 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    It's just that, it always happens at some point in adulthood, or late teens. So it's more likely to see older people missing their hair, because they had to lose it at a point before. Are you following my not so twisted logic?

The fact is that as Spencer always say in the introduction of his show: 2/3 will be suffering from hair loss by the age of 35. There are a lot of people suffering from hair loss that are only in their twenties.

Do you really know that much people who sport a full head of hair until they are 70, then start balding? Hair loss is not an old man's disease, this is just a misconception in my opinion. You can thank the media and hollywood for that.

Hair loss is just genetic, and it can happen to anyone who's entered puberty.
    I agree...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Guys like john kerry and others like him in my mind are proof hair loss is absolutely not aging otherwise no such man would exist. Its just obvious how bad medicine is at this stuff our understanding is a joke. Its like that big common exercise and diet generality we throw many problems under when we have no idea how something works.
    MPB is just not well understood and complicated a recipe for a poorly treated condition. Its certainly not aging though or no man would escape it.
    I still think in 10 years something like CB combined with propecia will effectively prevent MPB for decades so I think we are about 5 years from a preventative cure. Curing MPB in the absolute sense is at the very least 10 or probably more like 20+ away

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Guys like john kerry and others like him in my mind are proof hair loss is absolutely not aging otherwise no such man would exist. Its just obvious how bad medicine is at this stuff our understanding is a joke. Its like that big common exercise and diet generality we throw many problems under when we have no idea how something works.
    MPB is just not well understood and complicated a recipe for a poorly treated condition. Its certainly not aging though or no man would escape it.
    I still think in 10 years something like CB combined with propecia will effectively prevent MPB for decades so I think we are about 5 years from a preventative cure. Curing MPB in the absolute sense is at the very least 10 or probably more like 20+ away
    From what I've seen, if you haven't started balding before 30, you would most likely keep hair forever. In other words, those who do go bald, usually do so before 30. So, I don't understand how baldness is an old man's disease. Either you are bald or you are not bald, and that doesn't depend on age beyond 30.