+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Crowdfunding for Dr. Xu

Ok guys, after talking with one of the top docs in hair research at Penn Medicine, we came to the conclusion that us hair loss sufferers and his team can work together to get funding for them to make a new follicle from stem cells. They need about 4 million dollars that they dont currently have in order to move forward. I am willing to get the kickstarter going and design it and write it, as well as liason with the team at Penn medicine. If anyone has abilities (business/design/spare time) to help with this, it will be needed. the most important thing, which i can't do by myself is spread this to all social networks and market it and promote it in order for it to reach the amount of people it needs to be successful. If anyone is in touch with spencer kobren or other people who have access to advertising etc, please let me know and help out. While the cure for hairloss is slowly being developed, researchers in this country are sadly short on money, but want to get there faster. If things move at the current pace, they have told me that it will at least be more than a decade to ever get a functioning follicle going. I'd love to see lots of responses to this thread, as I think it's pretty special that one of the top researchers is willing to use our help and help us in return. thanks

Here are two emails I received from George Xu. His team was able to make epithelial cells from stem cells this year. I basically asked him what the holdup has been vis a vis making new hair from DP cells.

"Maintaining the folliculogenicity of DP cells may not be as easy as it appears despite several papers in the literature. We are gearing up to make hair follicles composed entirely of human cells from a same person. We all hope the solution to baldness can be sooner. Research funding has been cut in recent years, it would be great if we can get more funding to do some of the research that we would like to do. Thanks"

In response to me saying that he should crowdfund:

"I would love to work with you on this. Could you please let me know your background? You CV would be fine. I will contact our medical school to see whether there is any restriction on these types of effort to raise fund for research and will let you know. I think 4-5 million will make a huge difference in the research. Thanks"

George

Xiaowei Xu, MD, PhD

Associate Professor of Pathology and Dermatology

University of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfin View Post
    Ok guys, after talking with one of the top docs in hair research at Penn Medicine, we came to the conclusion that us hair loss sufferers and his team can work together to get funding for them to make a new follicle from stem cells. They need about 4 million dollars that they dont currently have in order to move forward. I am willing to get the kickstarter going and design it and write it, as well as liason with the team at Penn medicine. If anyone has abilities (business/design/spare time) to help with this, it will be needed. the most important thing, which i can't do by myself is spread this to all social networks and market it and promote it in order for it to reach the amount of people it needs to be successful. If anyone is in touch with spencer kobren or other people who have access to advertising etc, please let me know and help out. While the cure for hairloss is slowly being developed, researchers in this country are sadly short on money, but want to get there faster. If things move at the current pace, they have told me that it will at least be more than a decade to ever get a functioning follicle going. I'd love to see lots of responses to this thread, as I think it's pretty special that one of the top researchers is willing to use our help and help us in return. thanks

Here are two emails I received from George Xu. His team was able to make epithelial cells from stem cells this year. I basically asked him what the holdup has been vis a vis making new hair from DP cells.

"Maintaining the folliculogenicity of DP cells may not be as easy as it appears despite several papers in the literature. We are gearing up to make hair follicles composed entirely of human cells from a same person. We all hope the solution to baldness can be sooner. Research funding has been cut in recent years, it would be great if we can get more funding to do some of the research that we would like to do. Thanks"

In response to me saying that he should crowdfund:

"I would love to work with you on this. Could you please let me know your background? You CV would be fine. I will contact our medical school to see whether there is any restriction on these types of effort to raise fund for research and will let you know. I think 4-5 million will make a huge difference in the research. Thanks"

George

Xiaowei Xu, MD, PhD

Associate Professor of Pathology and Dermatology

University of Pennsylvania
    Did he come up with the 4-5 million figure himself?

I know Hellouser can help with design, and I'm sure there are plenty of people in marketing/advertising here too.

If you start it, others will follow.

Great initiative. You can put me down for 1000 dollars

Legitimacy would really have to be proven, but I'm sure many balding sufferers have some money on their hands to give to this if it's for real!

Wouldn't it make more sense to do this with a company like Aderans who was real close to a viable alternative?

How much faster would it progress with that 4 million funding? Are we talking about 5 years then? Or even less? Anyway, that's a brilliant idea, but we need LOTS of international attention. I'm thinking of how long it takes Wikipedia to get just a few millions every year.

Quote Originally Posted by ytterligare View Post
    How much faster would it progress with that 4 million funding? Are we talking about 5 years then?
    nobody knows this stuff. you guys have to get deadlines out of your heads and start living your life. It will go faster, that is for sure. If the researchers themselves are hesitant to estimate timelines, how the hell should any of us be able to. the only thing we know for sure is trials take about a decade. so no, not five years probably. first they have to build a cure and then spend a decade getting it passed.

Quote Originally Posted by ytterligare View Post
    How much faster would it progress with that 4 million funding? Are we talking about 5 years then? Anyway, that's a brilliant idea, but we need LOTS of international attention. I'm thinking of how long it takes Wikipedia to get just a few millions every year.
    true, but more people have an urgent anxiety about balding than they do about wikipedia. And agreed, it would need to get widespread international and national attention, which is why i need help to get this out once it's made.

Ok so rather than just talking and throwing around questions we can't answer (like "why not Aderans" or "how long") the first action item would be to come up with a set of steps required to launch a crowd funding effort. In other words what needs to be defined in this thread is a PLAN.

I will personally study crowdfunding tomorrow as I have a lot of time. If anyone has any experience in the field they should share insight about how to actually do this.