+ Reply to Thread

Question ? for Jotronic/Spex...Do FUE white dots show if you cut hair to a #1?

Let me say this:

Yes I am a Norwood 7....

but If I am to move on with my life, I need to do something proactive...

I tried working out, but building a better body will not change my face /lack of hair/no frame to the face.

If I was to get 1000-1500 grafts just to frame my face...Is that a terrible idea....I started cutting my hair short to a number 1 and heck, I'd like to do the same if I get a transplant....Will the white dots show?

And all these folks who do ARTAS say the robot cuts at 1.2....Isn't that huge????

FlightTL,

Good question. As far as visible dots go, it depends on two factors. How you heal as a patient (your physiology) and the size of the punch. ARTAS is something that one could not PAY me to go through. Honestly, if I were to be on the table and an ARTAS robot was doing the procedure I'd be sharting my pants trying not to move my head for fear of the punch being jammed into my skull. Aside from that, while the punch size is far too big and will DEFINITELY leave visible scarring they have been working to reduce the size of the punch to, I believe, a .9mm outer diameter. This will make a big difference but you still could not pay me to go through with a procedure.

If you want to get FUE then, in my opinion, no robot can replace the decision making and reaction to change that you would get from a 100% human guided procedure. With a motorized or manual punch the ability to reduce transection is much greater because there are decisions to be made that cannot be comprehended by software. This will increase the yield and any experienced FUE clinic will not only be using smaller punches but they will have a lot more experience with them as well. Not to mention, ARTAS is starting to push their robot to anyone that can afford it. They are no longer restricting their robot to experienced hair transplant surgeons so combined with the currently in development ability for ARTAS to eventually start planting the grafts as well then you have a very expensive recipe for disaster.

Whether or not a small procedure to get a frame for your face is a good move is difficult to judge. I don't think there is a blanket answer for this because I think it is highly subjective. On some guys it would look silly but others it may look ok. I think this depends a lot on your head shape. If you'd be open to sending me your photos I'd be happy to check them out and give you my opinion.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

I agree on this point, robotic systems can’t compare to the results of fue by manual extraction in my opinion. I would also add that any technology that generates revenue from recurring income directly related to the number of procedures being performed and is paid back to the creator of the technology outside of the cost of the technology itself is creating a monster where if other examples of different industries are any indication it will swallow up this industry whole in due time. Just do the math.

I suppose if one has little to no talent it does become an option but then it becomes a race to make as much money as possible for those that adopt it as those that sell it are interested in getting it into as many hands as possible in the least amount of time. Eventually it might be worth it just to give it away like a cell phone or an AOL disk………………lol………………be afraid.............be very afraid...............

Quote Originally Posted by FlightTL View Post
    If I was to get 1000-1500 grafts just to frame my face...Is that a terrible idea.
    I understand that FlightTL is just trying to improve his life and that is great, but is a transplant really a good idea for a young NW7. I just don't see how being a slick NW7 with a strong hairline would look good. What are the styling options with that kind of hair? I am a diffuse NW3, and my styling options are pretty shitty at this point.

I am really not trying to give FlightTL a hard time. I am really not, and maybe I can learn something here, but from what I have seen the best option for a NW7 is to either shave or to closely buzz his hair.

Who's talking about giving him back a NW1 hairline? Something like a NW3 would suffice and frankly would be more realistic.

I believe hair transplants are not only for NW3's who are over 45 years old.

Styling? I'm a very diffused NW5 with a very faint NW3 hairline, trust me, I don't care if I have to keep it below a 2. Even if I have had no styling options since the age of 20, the simple fact that I still have my face lightly framed makes the world of a difference.

It's not black or white. It seems a lot of sufferers only want it all or want nothing. Only NW7 to thick NW1 seems acceptable. What about NW7 to thin NW3?

Looking at FlightTL's original post, he did not mention a "stong hairline" at all. Not sure where I pulled that from. I still think transplanting a hairline on a NW7 would still look a little off. I just think when you hit NW7, your hair is a little too far gone and your options are very limited. A NW6 isn't in the greatest shape either, but has at least more donor to work with. Even sparse coverage(buzzed) on the top of the head looks better than slick bald, but can this be accomplished on a NW7?

I'd say it depends on the surgeon's skills. Some surgeons have a taste for challenge, others will tell you to go buy a wig.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotronic View Post
    FlightTL,

Good question. As far as visible dots go, it depends on two factors. How you heal as a patient (your physiology) and the size of the punch. ARTAS is something that one could not PAY me to go through. Honestly, if I were to be on the table and an ARTAS robot was doing the procedure I'd be sharting my pants trying not to move my head for fear of the punch being jammed into my skull. Aside from that, while the punch size is far too big and will DEFINITELY leave visible scarring they have been working to reduce the size of the punch to, I believe, a .9mm outer diameter. This will make a big difference but you still could not pay me to go through with a procedure.

If you want to get FUE then, in my opinion, no robot can replace the decision making and reaction to change that you would get from a 100% human guided procedure. With a motorized or manual punch the ability to reduce transection is much greater because there are decisions to be made that cannot be comprehended by software. This will increase the yield and any experienced FUE clinic will not only be using smaller punches but they will have a lot more experience with them as well. Not to mention, ARTAS is starting to push their robot to anyone that can afford it. They are no longer restricting their robot to experienced hair transplant surgeons so combined with the currently in development ability for ARTAS to eventually start planting the grafts as well then you have a very expensive recipe for disaster.

Whether or not a small procedure to get a frame for your face is a good move is difficult to judge. I don't think there is a blanket answer for this because I think it is highly subjective. On some guys it would look silly but others it may look ok. I think this depends a lot on your head shape. If you'd be open to sending me your photos I'd be happy to check them out and give you my opinion.

Thanks for the great response. So, perhaps if I do go for a frame shaping approach, perhaps I'll stick to traditional FUE...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR OPINION....It matters to me.