+ Reply to Thread

Default Doctor offered my PRP for ~$300; legit?

Hi,

My doctor does PRP and offered me the treatment for about $350, which is in sharp contrast to what other doctors are charging. What questions can I ask to make sure his treatment is legit? Are there associations that will endorse doctors that provide good value for their patients, that I can look him up through?

The guy is a general practitioner but apparently knows his field very well. He's also part of the local hair club and prescribed me 5 mg finasteride.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orielonline View Post
    Hi,

My doctor does PRP and offered me the treatment for about $350, which is in sharp contrast to what other doctors are charging. What questions can I ask to make sure his treatment is legit? Are there associations that will endorse doctors that provide good value for their patients, that I can look him up through?

The guy is a general practitioner but apparently knows his field very well. He's also part of the local hair club and prescribed me 5 mg finasteride.
    The disposable cartridge cost for a top blood spinning device can be around $180 each. It's possible the doctor is giving you a really great deal. There are of course other possibilities I won't go into.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

I spoke to the doctor's office again, and I guess they misquoted me the first time. They said that now it's something north of $600 for each individual treatment.

I'm not sure if I should try it as I don't think there's any guarantee. What I would consider doing is paying with credit card and then having the option to later contest the charge if it turns out bogus.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orielonline View Post
    I spoke to the doctor's office again, and I guess they misquoted me the first time. They said that now it's something north of $600 for each individual treatment.

I'm not sure if I should try it as I don't think there's any guarantee. What I would consider doing is paying with credit card and then having the option to later contest the charge if it turns out bogus.
    PRP treatment when done properly is not in any way bogus. Dr. Cole prefers to do PRP treatments during surgery as opposed to stand-alone. It's really a bang for the buck issue. No one wants to spend upwards of $1,000 only to get a subtle result. Now Dr. Greco in Florida says that regular PRP treatments will continue to "ratchet" hair shaft diameter forward in a positive direction when you stick with PRP treatments at regular intervals. He was speaking of treatment in the context of women patients, so I'm not sure if it has similar effectiveness on men with MPB. Also see if you can get some results photos or HairCheck numbers from the doctor you are considering. Most doctors doing PRP go through a process refining the platelet concentration formula. Too high of a platelet concentration can cause too much inflammation. Makes you look like a pumpkin head for a few days. We feel that PRP prepared on the Angel device is going to be about as good as it gets. Dr. Cole gets better patient PRP results using the Angel technology than he did with his previous centrifuge device.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck