+ Reply to Thread

Default Potential Hair Loss Treatment "Disappointments"

It seems to me in every post I read a lot of the veteran hair loss sufferers mention past betrayal, disappointments, lies, etc... when it comes to a legit hair loss treatment hitting the market. And its made me wonder what those "potential new treatments" were and also is the future the same for us new hair loss sufferers. Are going to end up saying the same thing when we get to our 30s, 40s, 50s, etc? I guess this post is just my way of finding some hope to cling on for the future

But damn it I DON'T WANNA GIVE UP! I'm a struggler baby! Always been my whole life.

For me it isn't a specific treatment that failed to produce results. It is the fact that after 15 years of losing hair, I have yet to see any new effective treatments.

Up to this point I have yet to see any new/potential treatments that produce positive results. Recently I have heard that the end is near(5-10 years), but I wont be celebrating until I see results on a human head.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    For me it isn't a specific treatment that failed to produce results. It is the fact that after 15 years of losing hair, I have yet to see any new effective treatments.

Up to this point I have yet to see any new/potential treatments that produce positive results. Recently I have heard that the end is near(5-10 years), but I wont be celebrating until I see results on a human head.
    Oh I see. But from what I understand hair loss treatments have been researched seriously for 3 decades. And keep in mind that technology then is not what it is now. What would you say about finasteride then? Couldn't you say for those that do not experience sides and get results in maintaining. That's surely better than nothing lol.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
    Oh I see. But from what I understand hair loss treatments have been researched seriously for 3 decades. And keep in mind that technology then is not what it is now. What would you say about finasteride then? Couldn't you say for those that do not experience sides and get results in maintaining. That's surely better than nothing lol.
    I'm not sure how many qualified individuals are actually working on a cure.

Close examination of hair cycles and growth reveal that bulge cells give rise to a progenitor population called the secondary germ cells. These reside adjacent to the bulge during telogen and produce the new hair shaft at the beginning of the anagen or growth cycle. A new secondary germ regenerates from the bulge with each new hair cycle.

During one research operation, KRT15, CD200, and CD34 expression were studied with flow cytometry to assess the stem and progenitor cell compartments in bald and haired (i.e., non-bald) scalp from individuals with androgenic alopecia. Researches were surprised to find that the stem cell population was maintained in bald scalp. However, CD200hiITGA6hi and CD34hi cells were greatly diminished. These lost cells most likely represent early progeny of stem cells, based on their position in the follicle, stem cell marker expression levels, cell size, and cell cycle state. Functionally, an analogous murine CD200hiItga6hi population was capable of regenerating an entire hair follicle, consistent with a progenitor cell phenotype. These results suggest that loss of progenitor cells, but not stem cells, contributes to male pattern baldness.

OK, so how does one determine the cause of the drop in progenitor cells? If I were a researcher, seriously looking for a cure for MPB, I might consider comparing hair in test subjects "safe" zone with miniaturized hair in the area that will eventually become bald and think heavily on a way to correct whatever difference is found in the miniaturizing hair. I would try to determine why DHT affects one and not the other. So many things can be taken into consideration. For instance minoxidil dilates blood vessels. Does increased blood supply improve hair growth or is it something else? Does increased nutrition in the blood trump the miniaturizing impact of DHT? Does one's immune system play a role in normal hair cycles as well as abnormal hair cycles? Why do balding areas of scalp have a greater percentage of hairs in telogen. PRP is known to promote healing. It also increases the hair shaft diameter of miniaturizing hair to varying degrees. This appears to imply that miniaturizing hair is in a process of being damaged. Some researchers believe DHT starves susceptible follicles and a the immune system helps things down the road to baldo-maximo.

I mentioned that last spring I got into some poison ivy. I have been using a steroid called Cordran SP. My hair is thicker. Dr. Cole commented on this and a patient who met me last year also told me my hair looks thicker. Cordran is an immunosuppressant. When I wash and comb my hair, only one or two hairs fall out. More of my hair is staying in the Anagen phase.

Perhaps researchers are focusing too heavily on the microscopic level while the solution could be something relatively simple. A can't see the forest for the trees kind of impediment. Just some thoughts.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck