+ Reply to Thread

playsound GIVING UP...well kinda (read)

So I'm getting sick of the hair shedding over everything and feeling like shit everytime more hair falls out, so I'm taking the plunge...SHAVING MY HEAD!!! Going to embrace rather than feel bad about it. I'm tired of waking up in the morning wondering "how good of a job am I going to do covering the thin spots today, or staying up until 5 in the morning, wondering how many hairs I am going to find on my pillow tonight. I URGE EVERYONE THAT READS THIS TO CONSIDER THIS OPTION! I'm still going to slather up the dome with rogaine for the next year to see if my head takes to the stuff, but if it doesn't work then everyone will be adjusted to my baldness for a year longer. For the first time in about a year, I don't feel like shit about my hair. It is quite liberating. If people want to judge me or look at me different, its their problem not mine. I am who I am, and if they don't like me for me, tough! PEOPLE CAN TELL IF YOU ARE LOSING YOUR HAIR ANYWAY, SO WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF YOUR SHAVED OR NOT? I am going from an Owen Wilson style hair cut, to 3 on my trimmer, so yes a big change, but it is necessary to keep me from dwelling on my hair loss and sinking into a serious depression. Thanks all for listening, I'll keep you informed if the rogaine does happen to work, if not, then no big loss.

Thumbs up

Go for it!. It think it’s fantastic that you have decided to take control of your hair loss rather then letting it control you. Post some pictures!

Hey man, that's great that you're buzzing it down. If I looked half presentable with a buzzed style, I would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, my head is kinda misshapen, so I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

playsound Great Attitude! | Audio Response

Quote Originally Posted by mikes120 View Post
    So I'm getting sick of the hair shedding over everything and feeling like shit everytime more hair falls out, so I'm taking the plunge...SHAVING MY HEAD!!! Going to embrace rather than feel bad about it. I'm tired of waking up in the morning wondering "how good of a job am I going to do covering the thin spots today, or staying up until 5 in the morning, wondering how many hairs I am going to find on my pillow tonight. I URGE EVERYONE THAT READS THIS TO CONSIDER THIS OPTION! I'm still going to slather up the dome with rogaine for the next year to see if my head takes to the stuff, but if it doesn't work then everyone will be adjusted to my baldness for a year longer. For the first time in about a year, I don't feel like shit about my hair. It is quite liberating. If people want to judge me or look at me different, its their problem not mine. I am who I am, and if they don't like me for me, tough! PEOPLE CAN TELL IF YOU ARE LOSING YOUR HAIR ANYWAY, SO WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF YOUR SHAVED OR NOT? I am going from an Owen Wilson style hair cut, to 3 on my trimmer, so yes a big change, but it is necessary to keep me from dwelling on my hair loss and sinking into a serious depression. Thanks all for listening, I'll keep you informed if the rogaine does happen to work, if not, then no big loss.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by mikes120 View Post
    good call man, you are doing the right thing.......

Yeah man, I just did a similar thing a day after reading your post. I got tired of stressing over what my hair was doing, whether or not the thinning was visible,and I felt like I was getting a little obsessive.

SoooOOo, I chopped it mostly off, now you can clearly see where my hair is thinning, but as you said, its liberating in a sense.

Seriously, to hell with it, life is short, and its just hair. To quote Zoolander, "I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is."

That having been said, I will continue to take finasteride, as well as restarting minox since it is so easy to apply to short hair.

I'm 20 btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Layercake View Post
    Yeah man, I just did a similar thing a day after reading your post. I got tired of stressing over what my hair was doing, whether or not the thinning was visible,and I felt like I was getting a little obsessive.

SoooOOo, I chopped it mostly off, now you can clearly see where my hair is thinning, but as you said, its liberating in a sense.

Seriously, to hell with it, life is short, and its just hair. To quote Zoolander, "I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is."

That having been said, I will continue to take finasteride, as well as restarting minox since it is so easy to apply to short hair.

I'm 20 btw.
    good choice!

Hey everyone, sorry I didn't write back right away, but thank you for all of your comments. I tried not to think about the fact that I shaved all my hair off after I did it, and just kept confident with who I am and what I do, and it worked!!! People obviously noticed but all I said was I had my hair long all my life (which is true) and wanted to try a new style. After about 5 minutes nobody cared! Life carries on with or without your hair. The biggest positive to this is I no longer feel that hurt on the inside. When you constantly see hair falling out on your pillow, sink, floor, or in your hands, it always gave me this horrible sinking feeling in my stomach. That is no more!! I really do feel "free" in a sense, and still recommend it to EVERYONE. My head isn’t the greatest shape and I actually had my ears pinned back before I shaved my hair off so my head would look better bald (maybe a drastic step, but it was something I wanted to do even when I had hair, and it did help). It’s also very nice being able to just wake up and go, not have to worry if my scalp is showing through my thin hair, because now I know it is, and I’m cool with that! I still use the Rogaine, and it is waaaaay easier to apply directly to the scalp, and it seems to be filling in better in the hairline area when I let it grow out a bit for the weekend, but still nothing to really try growing the hair out again.

As far as the female situation goes, it stayed the same!! It’s not the hair that draws women to you, it’s YOU! Whether or not you are confident enough to get a girl in the first place is what makes the difference. My friends with hair are striking out more than me! Just got to play it cool I guess, with or without hair.

Maybe shaving all your hair isn't the right option for you, maybe you work in a field that would require you to look like George Kastanza rather than Chris Daughtry. Personally, I think the completely bald look actually makes guys look younger than the wrap around hair bald guys. Well that’s about all I can say after about a month of shaving the dome. I actually feel more complete without my hair! I really hope reading this helps at least one of you guys out there.

Mike, you certainly helped me! Shaving the head will also save alot of money if you do eventually decide not to go the HT way later.

I think there are alot of alpha guys out there who are bald.

Take for example
    1) Jason Statham
    2) Bruce Willis
    3) Vin Diesel
    4) Yul Brynner
    5) Michael Jordan
    6) Taye Diggs
    7) Styles (Neil from the Game)
    And girls love those guys!

I figured if I do go the same route as you, I will aim to get really buff. Might need to get a good tan too.

Well another month came, as well as some more hair! I'm thinking that with my hair being short and the Rogaine being easily applied directly on the scalp now, it seems to be responding better. I think I went from maybe a Norwood 2 with diffuse thinning on the crown to the forehead, to still a Norwood 2 but with thickening hair on the crown, with a little bit better filling in on the temples region. Everyone loves my hair short, and now that its winter I don't have to worry about styling my hair and having a cold head or wind blown hair, I simply put a winter hat on and go. Even if my hair grows back, I really like my hair short and probably would keep it like this, as it is easier to manage, and if I do lose my hair again, I will be adjusted to the loss. Good luck to everyone and if you are on the fence about shaving your head, I hope that if you read my previous posts on this thread and it convinces you to go for it! You wont regret it!