+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Input from experts?

I find all the news on DP cell culturing pretty hopeful and interesting, but I think too many people are jumping the gun on calling it a near solution to baldness. One thing that seems to be a huge hurdle is how to get a properly cycling head of hair. Say DP cells are harvested from the donor and then re-implanted (as they are doing in taiwan), how do they make sure that you are not growing and losing all those follicles at the same time? Also, when a hair transplant is done, a large piece of surrounding tissue is inserted with the follicle. How do we know that the surrounding environment will accommodate a healthy new follicle? also, how are these researchers making sure that the follicles grow in the right direction? Nylon guide wires like Tsuji used don't seem to be a great solution when we're talking about thousands of follicles and not just a few. I think that jahoda et al have a pretty good idea of how much more work needs to be done, and teams like the taiwanese are kind of jumping the gun. probably they are only implanting a few follicles to see what happens. I'm pretty sure all these issues can be overcome, but I think we're talking about a decade more of research before real trials can even start.

I do think that the effective creation of cosmetic new follicles using stem cells is not more than 20 years away, and for some of the younger people, that may be useful. Has anyone tried to contact tsuji labs? according to their last press release they should be on track to start trials with their bioengineered follicle. I think this method shows the most immediate promise as a better form of a hair transplant with unlimited follicles. That iron man dude on here made absolutely no sense in his analysis, tsuji has proven they can grow several cycling terminal human hairs already, and i'm sure the ability to create both epithelial and DP cell cultures from stem cells will aid them in their perfection of their method.

would really love to hear a hair scientist's opinion on all this, especially someone from tsuji or jahoda's team. is anyone in contact with these guys? It would save people on this forum a lot of time, and all the speculation by so called "experts" on here. The science is so so close, it's frustrating, the problem is life and hair go by so fast, that in terms of our experience, we might still be among the last generations to have to just deal with losing our hair. At the very least we're gonna have to pay a lot of money for the stem cell therapies that become approved. I'm pretty positive that 30-50 years down the line, there will be an easy genetic fix.

If you work in hair science, please chime in! or if you have contact with any of the big teams, let's see if we can get some kind of real expert analysis of the situation.....

Hello sdsurfin. I am not an expert(whatsoever), but I think that the information we will get in may will be more positive than your current view on our situation. As far as I know a team work hard to find out the difference between bald spots and donor. This would be a huge step foreward. Another fact, we could consider as positive, is that many teams are now willing to invest many in further stem cell research. I would rather be optimistic and say it takes us between the so beloved 5 to 10 years than to say 20,30 or 50 years. Never underestimate science . I am looking foreward to may and the (hopefully) positive outcome.
    (SORRY. MY MOTHERLANGUAGE IS ITALIAN)

I would not say 10 years is a good estimate, we are talking about 5 years because what people don't seem to understand is that we are not going to implant stem cells. We will culture hairs which are exact clones in every way and then transplant them the same way we do in conventional hair transplants. So there is very little to worry about as far as safety is concerened.

But I do agree that we need a scientist to give us some answers, but not benji or karankaran because their grant money might get pulled away.

What's happening in May?

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    What's happening in May?
    Floyd "Money" Mayweather is back on May 3 against Marcos "El Chino" Maidana. Don't miss it!

If you meant in the hair loss world, absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Floyd "Money" Mayweather is back on May 3 against Marcos "El Chino" Maidana. Don't miss it!

LMAO! That's such a terrible response.

Easy work.

ignorant

Default ...

stupid answers. Where are desmod and 35yrsafter on this?

The way I see it, there is no way in hell this pans out in 5 years. Basically all that has been achieved is, in Jahoda's case, growing a weak sauce follicle on foreskin, and in the case of the asians, either growing semi-human hair on bald mice (which may have no correspondence whatsoever to human skin), or getting back some DP inductive properties. This is all immensely far from growing a functioning human follicle on human skin. while it's good progress, we would need it to be ready right now just to get through trials in five years in asia. I think we're looking at another decade of research, and then at least 5 more years of trials in humans. anyone who thinks otherwise please chime in.

I thought that tsuji was much further aling, and that they had made fully human follicles and put them on grafted human skin, but they used mouse DPs miced with human epithelial cells, and implanted them in bald mice. We all know that mice basically grow hair if you spit at them, but achieving what they achieved in humans is another ballgame.

Im not up to date on any of this stuff anymore because there's just no point. Us learning about this stuff wont help it succeed of cause its failure.

All I do know is being able to grow hairs isnt going to do anything for us. Even if you could create perfect hairs if the method is implanting them just like an ht it is nothing game changing. Yes it will allow some guys who dont have good donor regions be able to get an ht but big deal. HT'S are garbage.

Its either an inject-able or some type of breakthrough "medicine" that kickstarts out bodies regrowing hairs. I have no clue where histogen stands but that is the only type(administered) of treatment that will get us anywhere IMO.

p.s. not saying we wont learn anything from they mastering growing hairs from scratch.