+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My Minoxidil Story

Hi all,

I just wanted to post about my minoxidil experience.

I started minox 5% on October 20, 2013 with nothing else (no fin, no supplements, no shampoos etc.).

I've had three rather unfortunate hair transplants in the mid-90's. It seems like maybe half of them (at most) are still producing hair (they never tell you that a heck of a lot of them will never grow!) so I'm a rather thinned hair kind of guy through my whole top/front/back of head. (Thank God for fiber concealers).

Anyway, I have been applying the minoxidil faithfully twice a day since last fall. The results were nothing. I don't even recall shedding. It just looked constantly the same. No Change!

I had this "Power Grow Comb" laying around that I never used. I have heard it gets no results (complete waste of money etc.) so I always ignored it. Then one day I bought batteries and thought "what the heck". I started to use the comb. Why not run it though my thin hair everyday for a little while? At the very least, the vibrating and pointy nubs will feel good on my head! I have nothing to lose! It's become something I enjoy doing because I find it relaxing. Good feeling.

Then the forth month arrived this past February.....No change.

But here's the thing....Just because they say "you can see results with minoxidil at four months" doesn't mean Exactly on the fourth month!

One day, at around the four and a half month mark....What's this? Can it be?...I think I have a change!!

I see a fairly noticeable darkening of space that once was just fine hairs over skin. I notice (very mild) filled in areas. It's not an even spread (some areas are improving more than others) but holy smokes, I'm getting results! Just the very beginnings of results though but results none the less (I'm still a thin haired guy). This process should only improve as I go on (I have a feeling, anyway). By the way, there's no change in the temples.

Back to the laser comb....You're probably right, it doesn't grow hair (even though research seems to suggest it does, ever so incredibly slightly sometimes). But I DO think it is helping. In fact, I'm pretty positive it is. Maybe it's not growing my hair but I have a serious sneaking suspicion that it is stimulating my hair follicles to be much more receptive to my minoxidil 5%. I didn't see any change in my hair (aside from quality improvement of what I already had) with the minoxidil alone. When I introduced that laser comb, that's when the results really happened for me. Yeah, I probably would get results with just minox but I just don't think it would be as good as I have it now with laser comb added to the equation. That laser and vibration just seems to effecting my scalp in a positive way so it gets a more positive benefit from the minoxidil. I'm confident about that.

I'm about a week short of hitting my fifth month (as I type this out). I am heartened by my very early "results" and I'm going to keep my process going. I wish I had pics for you. Dopey me didn't take any before I started and you wouldn't be able to see the difference with no baseline picture. Please trust me on this.

In my research about hair loss, and the treatments for it, I'm thinking things like fin and supplements and whatever else aren't really needed? Maybe it's all about minoxidil 5%?

I'm by no means judging anyone else's course of action. If a system works for you, I wish you nothing but the best. I know what it's like to lose hair and how bad it can make you feel inside. That certain quiet frustration and yes, pain.

I just wanted to share my story and maybe it can inspire others to keep at it. To keep going an not give up. This thing takes time....Lots of time.

Patience is a virtue, right?

Hi, how come you aren't using Finasteride and Nizoral as well? Good start with Rogaine, but why not all of the "Big 3" products?

Because, to be honest with you, I don't know what those things are. I mean I've heard "of" them here but as far of what they are supposed to do that is different, frankly, I have no idea.

I just naturally thought liquid minoxidil 5% and that's it. To me, minoxidil seems like the bottom line for hair regrowth.

From my extremely early results, I just have to wonder, are other things really necessary?

so. the thing you do now is take a picture and we'll consider this baseline.
    please keep updating. interesting story.

bit weird you're not on fin , yes.

Why is it weird that I'm not on fin?

I really don't even know what that is (or does). It's a pill, right? Does it actually grow hair or does it just support minoxidil?

I heard it may cause sexual side effects. Why take the chance? Why is fin promoted so much when it doesn't seem so necessary if you use minoxidil 5% religiously?

I don't know anything about fin. heck, there's something called Niz too, right (or is it naz?)? I don't know what that is either!

My results only just started. It's not like I woke up one morning and had hair like Elvis Presley. Would added fin make it like that if I incorporated it as well? If not, what's the point? Maybe I'm missing out on something. Would my nominal yet noticeable improvements be even better?

I'm not trying to be a smart guy. I just don't understand this undercurrent of fin for so many guys. It also sounds pretty expensive to use (if I'm not mistaken).

ChemicalBrother, thanks for your interest in my story. I appreciate it and wish you well in your hair improvement.

Fin is finasteride which is the active iingredient of propecia and proscar. Proscar has 5mg of finasteride and its ment for the prostate. Propecia is the same drug exceot its only 1mg. Proscar is cheaper than propecia if you have insurance. As hairloss is'nt considered a problem. You need some type of dht inhibitor like fin if you want to keep your hair otherwise the hair you grow from minoxodil will just die off later or remain the vellus peach fuzz. So get on a dht inhibitor keep using minox and it doesnt hurt to use biotin and a keto shampoo like nizoral renegenpure,ect

Hey, thanks for the insight and information, goldnt.

I didn't know about any of that!

Sure, read up on the side effects and all about propecia. I personally don't take it but ive heard if you up your dosage of propecia lightly over time, the side effects of the pill wont hit you as hard. Try to see if you an find a doctor that will help you with a proscar prescription. That is if your doctor is understanding and if not its fine since its not actually legal. There are doctors out there that will help you out as some forums members have had luck. Or you could just buy propecia however its not just pocket change.

I think I'll just take my chances with minox 5!

I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in fin.

I have a "fair" amount of hair on my head from my disappointing transplants so I have some coverage regardless of minoxidil or whatever.

I suppose if minox results faded in time, I could handle it.

I have enough hair to use concealers very effectively without anyone knowing.