+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New to Hairloss...what to expect for future

Hey guys,

I am a recent hair loss sufferer. I started noticing thinning when i was 18 and then from then on more thinning and temple recession. I am now 22 soon to be 23 in six months. Some days I feel like throwing in the towel and shaving down and forgetting about it. I've done this a few times but I just couldn't get used to not having hair. Btw I'd say I'm a NW1.5 well on my to being a NW2 soon. I know most of with worse hair loss would probably dismiss my worries and tell me I still have a full head of hair, but even though this may be true it still doesn't make me feel better. I've been trying to plan for the future with the options available. A hair transplant would CHANGE my life 100%, but rolling the dice and going with a HT before I even hit my mid 20s sounds like a terrible idea. So my question is to you other sufferers how optimistic are you about a better hair loss treatment (TREATMENT not cure) coming out in the next 5-10 years or even earlier. I just want something to give solace in knowing that I can DO something about my hair loss without jeopardizing my health (mainly sex life lol). Is their hope for us young sufferers....conventional wisdom would tell you things would get better as technology advances but it never always does..not trying to be negative.

Hey man

Your story kinda remind me of my own situation. Im two years older then you though.

Well, i strongly recommend to start finasteride as soon as you can.

Within the next few years there will be much better options:

- Dutasteride will be approved for hair loss by late 2015,

- Topical fin should be available anytime soon

- sb204 and cb-03-01 are both strong topical antiandrogens (best approach against MPB) and will be on the shelves by late 2017.

The thing you must remember about future treatments in the pipeline is that they'll work much better at retaining hair rather than regrowing what you have lost.

Good luck!

It's exactly as you said. A roll of the dice. If you get a transplant you will need to go on fin (Or an alternative such as CB) & minox otherwise you gamble chasing your losses if it progresses.

Within the next 5-10 is a lottery. Around 8 years ago I've heard of cure's being 100% available in 10 years - Fast forward to today & those potential cures have vanished.

There is strong evidence to suggest we should have something solid to maintain in the next 5 years & the research is pretty close to being able to potentially cure norwood 5's + in the next 10 or so years.

That being said my initial point reigns true. It's a gamble & there is a possibility you could get a transplant, progress down the norwood scale & be forced chase your losses.

If you get FUE I wouldn't worry about any of the above. If you have future hair loss you will have to buzz down (As you would without a transplant). The scarring is near non existent at a 1 guard so you really don't have a huge deal to lose in that regard.

Hard to say really, 10 years is a long way away and medicine in general seems to be advancing pretty fast. Stem cell treatments especially are starting to take off.

the past couple years have been filled with theory and scientific advancements in regards to hairloss, but the FDA is a long process.

so yes I'm pretty optimistic for 10 years from now, they seem to be solving the problems that were holding them back from getting the cure.

5 years from now is a flip of a coin, no idea what could happen, but get on Fin for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    Hard to say really, 10 years is a long way away and medicine in general seems to be advancing pretty fast. Stem cell treatments especially are starting to take off.

the past couple years have been filled with theory and scientific advancements in regards to hairloss, but the FDA is a long process.

so yes I'm pretty optimistic for 10 years from now, they seem to be solving the problems that were holding them back from getting the cure.

5 years from now is a flip of a coin, no idea what could happen, but get on Fin for sure!!
    Yeah, a lot of uncertainty haha. But I feel like if NOTHING is available in 5 years that would be a bad sign for the future lol. Hair loss is not a really serious condition (life threatening), I feel people won't put it as a top priority. But there's definitely money to be made so its tit for tat i guess.
    The thing that kills me the most is I know my hairline will go its just a matter of how long. I assume this because my dad at 58 is a norwood 4 last I seen him. He has most of his loss in the frontal area with little to no crown loss. My mom's side is hairloss free and my dad's father (my grandfather) ironically has a full head of hair at 80 something. So my dad inherited his loss from his mother's side.
    So my situation is the opposite of my father lol. His father had a full head of hair but his mom's side had almost all men with hair loss. Anyways I digresss....

In the next few years though I'm thinking I will have to get a HT. My focus now is to maintain. I've tried RU but have to restock since I didn't try it long enough to assess its efficacy, but it seemed to be working. My plan is to use RU and see if I can tolerate the sides if they even come up. And THEN and only then if I need to add FIN to the mix. Cuz the way I see it if I can maintain my hair with a topical antiandrogen why take an oral one lol??

Tenma and Jasari had a couple of strong posts. You are a NW1.5 and it is serious, because it will only get worse. I am a diffused NW3, but I didn't wake up one morning this way. I was once a NW1.5 and only wish I could go back in time knowing what I know now. Your best bet at this point is to maintain and hope better treatments come out in the future, but don't hold your breath and keep wasting time waiting or using questionable treatments. I get all the fear about fin, believe me I had it too, but it is the best thing we have, and I chose fin over going slick bald.

All this talk about future treatments and threads about how "the end is near" is great. People love to talk about all the science and how much progress has been made. For me, I will get excited when I see results consistently on a human head, that's it. I don't want to read lab reports or hear about growing 3 hairs on a rat's ass, I want to see hair growing on human heads. Then and only then will I get excited.

When is there going to be a topical fin?

Hair loss has always bothered men both past and current generations. It really depends on the person though some guys dont give a crap, but I think most really do even if they dont publicly show it. I mean most people do care about what they look like its human nature

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Hair loss has always bothered men both past and current generations. It really depends on the person though some guys dont give a crap, but I think most really do even if they dont publicly show it. I mean most people do care about what they look like its human nature
    http://www.controlled-trials.com/ISRCTN19708972/

According to previous studies, it could reduce scalp DHT by 75%. The pill stops only 35%.

We must remember scalp and serum DHT dont cause mpb.

its dht created inside hair follicle derma papilla cells the main culprit of hairloss.

But recent studies showed a correlation between scalp dht reduction and effectiveness of 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17110217