+ Reply to Thread

Default Anyone have experience with laser therapy

I am about to have my second hair transplant. The results from the first one were fantastic. I have a great, well respected surgeon. I trust anything he says. The only down side to the surgery was for 3 months after, much of my existing hair went into shock, thinned and fell out. All of my hair did come back with the new grafts and it was well worth it. My surgeon who was apposed to the laser comb, and still is, now recommends I have laser treatments to "maybe" minimize the hair loss after surgery and realistically thicken up my very thin hair whether therapy helps with post surgery hair shock or not. My surgeon does not sell, or provide laser therapy. He does have a person in his office who had laser therapy and they have seen good results. Not new follicles but a little thickening of existing hair. My Question, has anyone used laser therapy, the machine you sit under once a week, not the comb, to reduce hair shock after a HT? If so did it help? And, is there a difference between the machine and the laser cap which is being promoted as preferable by the laser therapy clinic I am talking to because your and can use at home, keep it. $3000 for the cap and $2,500 for six months of clinic treatment. Thanks for and information.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I recommend to my patients to use laser treatments post operatively in an attempt to prevent shock loss. I have noticed a decrease in the number of patients who experience post -op shock, but still have a few who get some even when using laser. In general shock loss is more common after first procedure because that is the time when the patient has the greatest amount of weak original hairs.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Great, thank you. I appreciate the info and will get laser treatment after the transplant. Any comment on the laser cap verses the clinic treatment?

Thanks again, Gary

One more thing Dr. Charles. How long after the transplant do you reccomend your patients start laser therapy?

Thanks again,

Good topic!

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glawre View Post
    My surgeon who was apposed to the laser comb, and still is, now recommends I have laser treatments to "maybe" minimize the hair loss after surgery and realistically thicken up my very thin hair whether therapy helps with post surgery hair shock or not. My surgeon does not sell, or provide laser therapy. He does have a person in his office who had laser therapy and they have seen good results. Not new follicles but a little thickening of existing hair. My Question, has anyone used laser therapy, the machine you sit under once a week, not the comb, to reduce hair shock after a HT? If so did it help?
    Good question. I haven't personally had experience with in-office laser therapy. One of our patients commented that he spent a great deal of money on in-office laser machine therapy and was disappointed with the results. Dr. Cole believes laser therapy is effective. The cost is too high in my opinion. It's a "bang for the buck issue" unless you have money to burn.

I would give the LaserComb a try. The FDA gave it the green light for sale and hasn't shut down their claims related to its effectiveness.

So far the only side effects reported with the lasers have been itching and tingling of the scalp.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 05:09 PM.