+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dandruff

Question Dandruff

Hi... I had my HT surgery 4 months ago... I have noticed new growth... I am also using minoxidil as per instructions. But i have developed dandruff in my hair. I have had dandruff problem before HT surgery. I am using ketoconazole every 3rd day but it isn't helping with the dandruff. Prior to HT surgery i used to use it on a daily basis which controlled my dandruff. Now I am afraid if i use it daily it might overdry my skinand may damage my new growth. Also I am wondering whether the dandruff is due to minoxidil which I am using twice daily and if it is so what would happen if i stop using it.
    Thirdly I have bought an anti dandruff hair tonic containing Climazol for dryness after shampoo but I am afraid to use it thinking it may damage the hair growth if used daily.
    Sorry for the long post but I am very confused... Kindly help

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x33 View Post
    Hi... I had my HT surgery 4 months ago... I have noticed new growth... I am also using minoxidil as per instructions. But i have developed dandruff in my hair. I have had dandruff problem before HT surgery. I am using ketoconazole every 3rd day but it isn't helping with the dandruff. Prior to HT surgery i used to use it on a daily basis which controlled my dandruff. Now I am afraid if i use it daily it might overdry my skinand may damage my new growth. Also I am wondering whether the dandruff is due to minoxidil which I am using twice daily and if it is so what would happen if i stop using it.
    Thirdly I have bought an anti dandruff hair tonic containing Climazol for dryness after shampoo but I am afraid to use it thinking it may damage the hair growth if used daily.
    Sorry for the long post but I am very confused... Kindly help
    If you live in the Northern Hemisphere in an area of cold winter months, natural gas heating for example can cause dry skin. I doubt you have anything to worry about and it sounds like you are doing all the right things. You could try rubbing a good moisturizer into your scalp in the evening.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

So what do u suggest?
    Should i start using ketoconazole daily and apply the antidandruff hair tonic?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

So what do u suggest?
    Should i start using ketoconazole daily and apply the antidandruff hair tonic?
    I personally wouldn't use ketoconazole shampoo more frequently than once per week. Are you sure it's just dandruff? My scalp gets a little flaky for a few months after I've had hair restoration work done. It could just be that. My daughter has me trying natural products like jojoba oil and aloe vera gel. I used to use Oil of Olay Complete. They all seemed to help.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Yeah I guess they are more like flakes.

Yeah I guess they are more like flakes.
    Not sure if it is the minoxidil causing some of the flaking. But some guys have the same reaction to it because of the inactive alcohol based additives that can potentially dry out the epidermis.

Anything natural or herbal based that can keep your scalp more moist will undoubtedly prove to be of benefit to you.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Should I keep using minoxidil alongwith with the moisturiser?

You really want to consult your doctor's advice on using both. My premonition is that they will say yes.

Some guys apply minoxidil twice or more daily. Your doc may suggest that you use it once daily because of the flaking. So be sure to check with you doc first...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Wink

I know that Vitamin E oil is really good for dry skin and not harmful if used with meds. Also plain old olive oil is also good for the scalp and does not harm or interact negatively with other products. It may just be dry winter skin. I live in Canada and get this every winter. I use both after my shower and rub into my skin and scalp. And no I don't smell like a salad

Ok. I have started using an anti Dandruff hair tonic which has cured my dandruff problem but i am now losing hair and i think these are the transplanted hair coz they are small. When i run my scalp a few times there are approx 15 to 20 hair in the shank. I am really getting paranoid.