Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x33
    • Nov 2013

Dandruff

Hi... I had my HT surgery 4 months ago... I have noticed new growth... I am also using minoxidil as per instructions. But i have developed dandruff in my hair. I have had dandruff problem before HT surgery. I am using ketoconazole every 3rd day but it isn't helping with the dandruff. Prior to HT surgery i used to use it on a daily basis which controlled my dandruff. Now I am afraid if i use it daily it might overdry my skinand may damage my new growth. Also I am wondering whether the dandruff is due to minoxidil which I am using twice daily and if it is so what would happen if i stop using it.
    Thirdly I have bought an anti dandruff hair tonic containing Climazol for dryness after shampoo but I am afraid to use it thinking it may damage the hair growth if used daily.
    Sorry for the long post but I am very confused... Kindly help
  • 35YrsAfter
    Doctor Representative
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by x33
    Hi... I had my HT surgery 4 months ago... I have noticed new growth... I am also using minoxidil as per instructions. But i have developed dandruff in my hair. I have had dandruff problem before HT surgery. I am using ketoconazole every 3rd day but it isn't helping with the dandruff. Prior to HT surgery i used to use it on a daily basis which controlled my dandruff. Now I am afraid if i use it daily it might overdry my skinand may damage my new growth. Also I am wondering whether the dandruff is due to minoxidil which I am using twice daily and if it is so what would happen if i stop using it.
    Thirdly I have bought an anti dandruff hair tonic containing Climazol for dryness after shampoo but I am afraid to use it thinking it may damage the hair growth if used daily.
    Sorry for the long post but I am very confused... Kindly help
    If you live in the Northern Hemisphere in an area of cold winter months, natural gas heating for example can cause dry skin. I doubt you have anything to worry about and it sounds like you are doing all the right things. You could try rubbing a good moisturizer into your scalp in the evening.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• x33
      • Nov 2013

So what do u suggest?
      Should i start using ketoconazole daily and apply the antidandruff hair tonic?

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
        Doctor Representative
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by x33
        So what do u suggest?
        Should i start using ketoconazole daily and apply the antidandruff hair tonic?
        I personally wouldn't use ketoconazole shampoo more frequently than once per week. Are you sure it's just dandruff? My scalp gets a little flaky for a few months after I've had hair restoration work done. It could just be that. My daughter has me trying natural products like jojoba oil and aloe vera gel. I used to use Oil of Olay Complete. They all seemed to help.

forhair.com
        Cole Hair Transplant
        1070 Powers Place
        Phone 678-566-1011

Comment

• x33
          • Nov 2013

Yeah I guess they are more like flakes.

Comment

• gillenator
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by x33
            Yeah I guess they are more like flakes.
            Not sure if it is the minoxidil causing some of the flaking. But some guys have the same reaction to it because of the inactive alcohol based additives that can potentially dry out the epidermis.

Anything natural or herbal based that can keep your scalp more moist will undoubtedly prove to be of benefit to you.
            "Gillenator"
            Independent Patient Advocate
            more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• x33
              • Nov 2013

Should I keep using minoxidil alongwith with the moisturiser?

Comment

• gillenator
                • Dec 2008

You really want to consult your doctor's advice on using both. My premonition is that they will say yes.

Some guys apply minoxidil twice or more daily. Your doc may suggest that you use it once daily because of the flaking. So be sure to check with you doc first...
                "Gillenator"
                more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• Shelley79328
                  • Feb 2014

I know that Vitamin E oil is really good for dry skin and not harmful if used with meds. Also plain old olive oil is also good for the scalp and does not harm or interact negatively with other products. It may just be dry winter skin. I live in Canada and get this every winter. I use both after my shower and rub into my skin and scalp. And no I don't smell like a salad

Comment

• x33
                    • Nov 2013

Ok. I have started using an anti Dandruff hair tonic which has cured my dandruff problem but i am now losing hair and i think these are the transplanted hair coz they are small. When i run my scalp a few times there are approx 15 to 20 hair in the shank. I am really getting paranoid.

Comment

• gillenator
                      • Dec 2008

When you say small, do you mean small in caliber or short in length or both?

I would still recommend that you consult your doctor and update them on your recent experience because there are other options for treating dandruff and/or a dry flaky scalp.
                      "Gillenator"
                      more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• x33
                        • Nov 2013

I mean short in length. I did consult with the transplant clinic and they told me to resort to daily anti Dandruff shampoo with nothing else. I have been doing that but there is still hairfall. Also after shampooing whenever I go out in the sun, I feel itchiness and mild burning sort of sensation.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                          Doctor Representative
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by x33
                          I mean short in length. I did consult with the transplant clinic and they told me to resort to daily anti Dandruff shampoo with nothing else. I have been doing that but there is still hairfall. Also after shampooing whenever I go out in the sun, I feel itchiness and mild burning sort of sensation.
                          Sounds like dryness. Drinking a lot of water (not tap water) and applying pure Aloe Vera gel might improve things and it certainly won't hurt your hair. I agree with Gillenator, see a doctor preferably a dermatologist.

forhair.com
                          Cole Hair Transplant
                          1070 Powers Place
                          Phone 678-566-1011

Comment

• gillenator
                            • Dec 2008

x33,

You are probably shedding the graft hair and the itchiness may very well be a good sign of healing.

But if there is lots of flaking and the itchiness persists and manifests, then see a derm.

Be sure to cover your scalp if you are outside in the sun.
                            "Gillenator"
                            more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

Working...