+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Should I drop Avodart?

I started taking .5mg of Avodart daily in late November, so I'm basically 3 months in. I'd been on 1.25mg Proscar daily for a year at that point and figured that I should just go for the big guns. I haven't dropped the finasteride.

It's tough to tell, because I've had a hairline transplant, and it might be my mind playing tricks on my, but it looks like my hairline might be in slightly worse shape than when I started. I don't really see any increase in shedding, and the difference in slight, if any. But the hair in my hairline also seems in pretty mediocre shape--I can pull hairs out relatively easily (they don't seem well "anchored") and many of them are somewhat thin.

I know the Avodart hairline topic is contentious, but I'm wondering if I should just drop the Avodart entirely. I'm on finasteride, seemed to respond well to it, and things don't really seem to have changed on Avodart.

Thoughts?

It's normal to shed first especially in the front while on avo. It certainly wont make your hair worse in the long run.Worst thing to do is hop off because of a shed. But if your content with what finasteride gave you stick to that.

It seems like at around the 6 month mark things usually turn around for those on avo. I started in december and was doin good at first but now my front has took a big hit and is shedding. I've seen other peoples logs and the trend seems to fit, 3 month mark bad things start happening and around month 5 or 6 hair slowly but surely keeps improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    It's normal to shed first especially in the front while on avo. It certainly wont make your hair worse in the long run.Worst thing to do is hop off because of a shed. But if your content with what finasteride gave you stick to that.

It seems like at around the 6 month mark things usually turn around for those on avo. I started in december and was doin good at first but now my front has took a big hit and is shedding. I've seen other peoples logs and the trend seems to fit, 3 month mark bad things start happening and around month 5 or 6 hair slowly but surely keeps improving.
    Dan how many times per week are you using fin/avo? BTW, you never used minox correct?

Quote Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    Dan how many times per week are you using fin/avo? BTW, you never used minox correct?
    Startin fin and minox in august, dropped fin for dut in december (0.5mg ED). Still on minox, and RU (hairline only).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Startin fin and minox in august, dropped fin for dut in december (0.5mg ED). Still on minox, and RU (hairline only).
    I see but your only using dut 0.5 daily or few times per week? Ive heard of many ppl doing fin 5x/week and dut 2x/week I may do that

Quote Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    I see but your only using dut 0.5 daily or few times per week? Ive heard of many ppl doing fin 5x/week and dut 2x/week I may do that
    Every day man...My insurance covers it so I see no reason not to

You could try adding it in once or twice a week, not sure what it will do for you. Even though it has a long half life that only applies when taken consistently, so I'd try at least 2 times per week to make it worth while.

Resurrecting this. Thinking of hopping off dut for other reasons--main one being sleeplessness/insomnia. I've been on Avodart for ~4 months now, and the agonizing part is that it's much more effective for me than fin; it's basically reduced my shedding to nothing. But the insomnia is just kicking my ass and making me feel like a zombie. There's been a little libido reduction, but nothing I can't handle.

Hate making this choice because the drug seems so effective for me so far.

1) are you sure the insomnia is due to the drug and not your stress about hair?

2) try a better diet and better pre-sleeping habits.

If these don't work then drop it?

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    1) are you sure the insomnia is due to the drug and not your stress about hair?

2) try a better diet and better pre-sleeping habits.

If these don't work then drop it?
    1. Fairly positive it's not due to hair stress. My hair looks great now and I've barely been thinking about it. I am going through some relationship stress, though, so I'm going to wait until that resolves to fully judge. But it feels like something is systemically "off"--despite feeling exhausted, my body just won't go to sleep.

2. Diet is phenomenal. I'm a fitness nut and eat exceptionally well. Pre-sleeping habits are good, too--no computer screens, caffeine, etc.

Hmm I find it odd you are getting insomnia man, dut makes me sleep more! It's really wierd I could sleep like 14hrs straight since being on dut, yet overall my energy level is not quite the same.

I've heard others say dut makes them sleepy also.

Maybe switch to EOD?