+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HT Without Taking Propecia

Hi All,

I'm due to have my HT next month & have been doing a lot of reading alone. I can't remember for the life of me where i saw the quote but someone said something along the lines of 'Don't have a HT unless you are prepared to take Propecia?' Is this a fair statement?

I currently take Regaine and i'd have to be honest and say i'm a bit reluctant to take Propecia because of the potential sides. I'm 29 and would be looking to start a family soon so thats another factor of opting out of Propecia.

However i just wanted to get some thoughts on whether a HT without taking Propecia is uncommon?

Thank you.

Hi C21,

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me.

I am 29, and recently had a HT - but I didn't want to take propecia because I look to be starting a family soon, and my other half simply could not accept the risk. I don't think the sexual side risk should put someone off, but when it comes to conceiving, the risk reward was not something I could go with for something so important.

I discussed this in depth with my HT doc. 2 things that I think made my decision plausible :

-my hair loss is very slow. I've been suffering since 16, yet am a NW2/3 at most, and my family is full of people of both sides with full heads of hair, so genetics were on my side (to a degree)

-I agreed with the doc for a conservative transplant. So a higher hairline that I had before I receded, and I can see how my native hair pans out over the next few years.

I used regaine, keratene alphactive retard, Regenpure, and laser comb to look after my native hair.

You may find many people here who are adamant that you shouldn't do HT without propecia , and I think this is true if you are particularly young, have aggressive hair loss, and genetics suggest you are heading for NW7.

So IMO, you have to consider where you hair could end up in 5 years, and try to be conservative. You never know, a new treatment may come out in the next few years, that will replace propecia. But always best to assume it won't.

Good luck, and totally understand the dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyBateman View Post
    Hi C21,

I am 29, and recently had a HT - but I didn't want to take propecia because I look to be starting a family soon, and my other half simply could not accept the risk. I don't think the sexual side risk should put someone off, but when it comes to conceiving, the risk reward was not something I could go with for something so important.

I discussed this in depth with my HT doc. 2 things that I think made my decision plausible :

-my hair loss is very slow. I've been suffering since 16, yet am a NW2/3 at most, and my family is full of people of both sides with full heads of hair, so genetics were on my side (to a degree)

-I agreed with the doc for a conservative transplant. So a higher hairline that I had before I receded, and I can see how my native hair pans out over the next few years.

I used regaine, keratene alphactive retard, Regenpure, and laser comb to look after my native hair.

You may find many people here who are adamant that you shouldn't do HT without propecia , and I think this is true if you are particularly young, have aggressive hair loss, and genetics suggest you are heading for NW7.

So IMO, you have to consider where you hair could end up in 5 years, and try to be conservative. You never know, a new treatment may come out in the next few years, that will replace propecia. But always best to assume it won't.

Hey Paddy,

How long ago was your procedure? Do you have any regrets? Did you experience much shock loss?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    Hey Paddy,

How long ago was your procedure? Do you have any regrets? Did you experience much shock loss?
    Hey Ryan,

Was 4 months ago. Gradually seeing the hairs coming through, trying to be patient and remember that it takes 12-18 months!

I experienced no shock loss at all, although I'm sure they actually pulled out some of my frontal hair when they taped my head after the stitches were done...!

Regrets - none. I very nearly didnt do it at the last minute because of a fear that peopld knew i had it done (only my other half was to know). Fortunately this wasnt a problem. The only thing I can possibly question, was my decision to be somewhat conservative with the hairline , but then I remind myself that this was so that there was no risk of having a too low hairline incase I suffered further hair loss. I can always have a further HT in the future ... Whereas being too aggressive now, can't exactly be undone. I think my HT doc loved the fact that I wasn't demanding Brad Pitt's hairline. I got the impression that many patients expected far too much, too soon.

I'm hoping that this HT brings back a relatively decent head of hair, and enables me to put aside my paranoia and constant mirror-checking, of which I'm sure many on this board do as well.

Pilofocus would be something I go for over the next 5 years, should it materialise, assuming I need further surgery.

Hey Ryan,

Was 4 months ago. Gradually seeing the hairs coming through, trying to be patient and remember that it takes 12-18 months!

I experienced no shock loss at all, although I'm sure they actually pulled out some of my frontal hair when they taped my head after the stitches were done...!

Regrets - none. I very nearly didnt do it at the last minute because of a fear that peopld knew i had it done (only my other half was to know). Fortunately this wasnt a problem. The only thing I can possibly question, was my decision to be somewhat conservative with the hairline , but then I remind myself that this was so that there was no risk of having a too low hairline incase I suffered further hair loss. I can always have a further HT in the future ... Whereas being too aggressive now, can't exactly be undone. I think my HT doc loved the fact that I wasn't demanding Brad Pitt's hairline. I got the impression that many patients expected far too much, too soon.

I'm hoping that this HT brings back a relatively decent head of hair, and enables me to put aside my paranoia and constant mirror-checking, of which I'm sure many on this board do as well.

Pilofocus would be something I go for over the next 5 years, should it materialise, assuming I need further surgery.
    Smart move on the conservative hairline. If some amazing new treatments come out you can have it lowered. Otherwise, it's better to prepare for the worst.

How long did it take before it was undetectable that you had work done? I am planning an entire month to be gone and will spend it as a vacation. I really don't want anyone to know and I'm hoping it won't be hard to conceal since I won't be getting too much done.

Hi C21,

Thanks for the feedback PaddyBateman. I wasn't really sure where i sat on the norwood but i'm probably the same, 2 or 3 at the very worst. Maybe a 2.5! However the crown is thinning slightly which is where i'd be really tempted to try propecia. Until i'm 100% comfortable taking it i don't think i'll be able to, maybe after trying for kids but i'd still be scared of the issues it can allegedly cause downstairs.

I'm having 2500 grafts in the front area, but similar to yourself in that its kind of going to follow/fill in the receding hairline that i have, rather than trying to recreate the whole hairline what i've lost. If i didn't have to go to work i'd love the complete hairline back but its not really practical when trying to disguise having a HT from people!!

Out of curiosity how did was your hair around the 2 week mark. I'm hoping the redness isn't to bad for me when i go back to the office!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    Smart move on the conservative hairline. If some amazing new treatments come out you can have it lowered. Otherwise, it's better to prepare for the worst.

How long did it take before it was undetectable that you had work done? I am planning an entire month to be gone and will spend it as a vacation. I really don't want anyone to know and I'm hoping it won't be hard to conceal since I won't be getting too much done.
    Hey,

Yeh, I am glad I went conservative on it. I had quite a few months leading to my HT where I was able to think appropriately on it. I can imagine, if I acted hasty, and got a bad surgeon, then I could have gone for a NW0 hairline and regretted it for many years to come.

Undetectability - because I still had hair in 90% of where the hair was placed, then when my hair was down you could generally cover it up okay. However, in terms of the redness / scabbing, I would say that it was 2 weeks when I would be sure that it could not be detected. Of course, when you KNOW it's there, you can see it for some time after (skin remains a little pink) but other people aren't going to see it at all. Obviously, the more hair you have prior to it, the easier it is to conceal.

As you have a month, you have more than enough time. I returned to work 2.5 weeks after mine, and I doubt anyone can have been more paranoid than me about nobody finding out, and it was 100% fine. So you'll be good on that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by C21 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback PaddyBateman. I wasn't really sure where i sat on the norwood but i'm probably the same, 2 or 3 at the very worst. Maybe a 2.5! However the crown is thinning slightly which is where i'd be really tempted to try propecia. Until i'm 100% comfortable taking it i don't think i'll be able to, maybe after trying for kids but i'd still be scared of the issues it can allegedly cause downstairs.

I'm having 2500 grafts in the front area, but similar to yourself in that its kind of going to follow/fill in the receding hairline that i have, rather than trying to recreate the whole hairline what i've lost. If i didn't have to go to work i'd love the complete hairline back but its not really practical when trying to disguise having a HT from people!!

Out of curiosity how did was your hair around the 2 week mark. I'm hoping the redness isn't to bad for me when i go back to the office!
    Hey,

Sounds like you're in an identical position to how I was. The ideal situation is that your hair loss is relatively slow, so you can keep a handle on it over the years.

See what I said to Ryan on the 2 week mark / post-op redness. Sounds like you are like me, whereby you'll have hair to cover any remaining scabs, and the redness. I didn't have any trouble at all on this front. Once or twice I used Nanogen fibres, but it wasn't exactly necessary, I was just somewhat paranoid.

I had FUT, and no issues on the scars - even straight after the procedure you couldn't see the stitches, so once they were taken out, the scar has been no issue at all. Although, I would say i'd prefer any future treatments were FUE (unless something better) - one scar is enough !

Pilofocus is definately what i'm most intrigued with in the near term. Dr Wesley is testing it this year, and by the end of the year we should know where that leaves us.

Hey,

Sounds like you're in an identical position to how I was. The ideal situation is that your hair loss is relatively slow, so you can keep a handle on it over the years.

See what I said to Ryan on the 2 week mark / post-op redness. Sounds like you are like me, whereby you'll have hair to cover any remaining scabs, and the redness. I didn't have any trouble at all on this front. Once or twice I used Nanogen fibres, but it wasn't exactly necessary, I was just somewhat paranoid.

I had FUT, and no issues on the scars - even straight after the procedure you couldn't see the stitches, so once they were taken out, the scar has been no issue at all. Although, I would say i'd prefer any future treatments were FUE (unless something better) - one scar is enough !

Pilofocus is definately what i'm most intrigued with in the near term. Dr Wesley is testing it this year, and by the end of the year we should know where that leaves us.
    Your response to Ryan on the 2 week mark couldn't have been any closer to what I wanted to hear. I may even save that message and re-read it before my surgery next month in case I get cold feet. I know every persons recovery will be different but the paranoia going back to work on day 13 will be unreal. If I could walk into work and not one person asks a single question I'll be over the moon!

I've not heard of pilofocus? Will have to do some reading online.

I guess you guys are in the same boat as i was. But my case is that i had side effects of Propecia already. So when i went to get the HT, i told my doctor all about it that propecia was not an option

I told him that i will definitely lose all my native hair so most probably i would have another procedure 4-5 year later. I told him i will keep my current hairline. I have lost hair on temples (sides) but i still looks OK. It's better to have density in the current hairline than having new hairline staying there and hair behind it all gone.

Dr suggested around 2400 grafts and also told me that i have good donor area so i still have around 2000-2500 donor hair for the next surgery as well (if i wanted to).

I also told him not to do surgery by filling the gaps in recipient area only. Because if that's the case, when i lose my native hair (which i definitely would as im not taking propecia) , the transplanted hair would be like patches on different areas and would look worse than being bald . He understood that and told me they will make the transplant as uniformly as they can. So even if i lose all native hair i would have like 10-15% coverage throughout the scalp which is much better than being completely bald.

All i can say is that if you don't plan on taking Propecia keep expectations realistic and keep in mind that you will have thin hair and less than average coverage on your head for the rest of your life. Again for me baldness is the worst case scenario as i look really bad even when i shave hair . So expecting any hair density above 30-40% of your adulthood will result in quite a disappointment. My expectation for worst case is around 15-20% as i assume 4000-4500 grafts (2400 from this surgery and remaining from next surgery in 4-5 years) will at least give me 20% coverage.