+ Reply to Thread

Default 27, grey, NW 2.5

Hi All

I have been visiting this forum for the past month or so, I am 27 and a NW2.5. My other problem is that my hair is also completely grey (white actually), I have been dyeing since the age of 20. Struck badly by the hair gods! I've been thinking about it a lot (nothing else!!) recently and I think I could have just about dealt with either going grey early or going bald but not both!

I have been using Rogaine for 18 months which I believe has slowed down my loss a little. Using it has given me some wrinkles and oily forehead etc but I figure that side effects are at least a sign that it is having an effect. Up until now I haven't been too worried about my receding hairline but a month ago I had a hair cut and realised I am now diffuse thinning quite badly. So, I need to start a more thorough regime as otherwise my only option is to have a horseshoe of white stubble for the rest of my life... not appealing!

I have begun using Nizoral which certainly seems to thicken up my hair after use. I also bought a hairmax comb... not sure about this but at least feeling like I am taking action gives a positive placebo on my mood. Finally, I have added Vitamin B complex and a zinc & magnesium vitamin. I am a bit skeptical of the need for vitamins, however, I am also of the opinion that I shouldn't be looking for one treatment to work. Instead I should be trying to augment the cumulative gains of all by using a few things in conjunction.

To this end I am going to add propecia. In an ideal world I would love to be using a topical anti androgen but I have decided that "better the devil you know"; at least until CB has completed phase 3 for acne at which point I will consider switching. I've taken this decision after much thought and will be starting with 0.25mg twice a week with the possibility of tapering up to a max of 0.25mg per day over a number of months. I will be tapering slowly so I can hopefully assess when I get to a dose that will provide me with maintenance and stick there. I'm not so worried about regrowth so my expectations for my new regime are heavily managed! I will also be tapering off it should I decide to stop or a miracle cure is announced! I also thought about using SP and Beta Sitosterol but as no one carries out research on something they can't patent I have decided to use something that has proven efficacy.

I don't want to make this post about propecia as my main aim of writing this was to be able to talk to people in the same boat to counter the depression that I've been encountering. But, for what it is worth, my perception is that some of the sides of propecia appear to be very similar to depression (brain fog, lack of libido) which hair loss will throw many of us into. I am fully aware that propecia can cause these side effects but I find it a pertinent point to make given my assertion that propecia use and depression may often go hand in hand.

Anyway, thank you all for taking the time to read my post I feel far better for writing this (other lurkers should think about doing the same!). And if anyone has had the same young grey and balding problem, please let me know how you conquered it! A problem shared is a problem halved after all!

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geordieuk View Post
    Hi All

I have been visiting this forum for the past month or so, I am 27 and a NW2.5. My other problem is that my hair is also completely grey (white actually), I have been dyeing since the age of 20. Struck badly by the hair gods! I've been thinking about it a lot (nothing else!!) recently and I think I could have just about dealt with either going grey early or going bald but not both!

I have been using Rogaine for 18 months which I believe has slowed down my loss a little. Using it has given me some wrinkles and oily forehead etc but I figure that side effects are at least a sign that it is having an effect. Up until now I haven't been too worried about my receding hairline but a month ago I had a hair cut and realised I am now diffuse thinning quite badly. So, I need to start a more thorough regime as otherwise my only option is to have a horseshoe of white stubble for the rest of my life... not appealing!

I have begun using Nizoral which certainly seems to thicken up my hair after use. I also bought a hairmax comb... not sure about this but at least feeling like I am taking action gives a positive placebo on my mood. Finally, I have added Vitamin B complex and a zinc & magnesium vitamin. I am a bit skeptical of the need for vitamins, however, I am also of the opinion that I shouldn't be looking for one treatment to work. Instead I should be trying to augment the cumulative gains of all by using a few things in conjunction.

To this end I am going to add propecia. In an ideal world I would love to be using a topical anti androgen but I have decided that "better the devil you know"; at least until CB has completed phase 3 for acne at which point I will consider switching. I've taken this decision after much thought and will be starting with 0.25mg twice a week with the possibility of tapering up to a max of 0.25mg per day over a number of months. I will be tapering slowly so I can hopefully assess when I get to a dose that will provide me with maintenance and stick there. I'm not so worried about regrowth so my expectations for my new regime are heavily managed! I will also be tapering off it should I decide to stop or a miracle cure is announced! I also thought about using SP and Beta Sitosterol but as no one carries out research on something they can't patent I have decided to use something that has proven efficacy.

I don't want to make this post about propecia as my main aim of writing this was to be able to talk to people in the same boat to counter the depression that I've been encountering. But, for what it is worth, my perception is that some of the sides of propecia appear to be very similar to depression (brain fog, lack of libido) which hair loss will throw many of us into. I am fully aware that propecia can cause these side effects but I find it a pertinent point to make given my assertion that propecia use and depression may often go hand in hand.

Anyway, thank you all for taking the time to read my post I feel far better for writing this (other lurkers should think about doing the same!). And if anyone has had the same young grey and balding problem, please let me know how you conquered it! A problem shared is a problem halved after all!
    My wife has been using hair color since her early twenties. There is little to no hair loss on my wife's side of the family. She has a low hairline with very thick hair. I'd like to point out a frustrating illusion related to grey or white hair and hair coloring. Although my wife has thick hair, when she skips the hair dye for a few weeks, the growth below the colored hair actually creates an illusion of thinning hair. I remember taking a photo of her and my daughter walking away from me. The grey roots in the photo made her look like she has a bald spot. Grey or white hair can make you appear to have a lot less hair. In your case a HairCheck could put your mind at ease.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck