+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBang View Post
    Well hair loss will be cured 100% sure. Gene editing will allow you to change whatever aspects of your body, including hair. So once this technique is available, companies won't work on drugs anymore, and not only hair loss drugs. And gene therapy research is much much more funded than hair loss research. Already we can change genes in a blind and/or paralyzed mouse and make it move and see again perfectly. Just a matter of time. Gene editing will kill pharmaceutical companies for good, because once you change your gene by another gene that grow hairs forever, you won't need anything else. It is a single bullet treatment, not a every 2 months injections or something.
    That looks something right out of Science fiction. I don't think such thing would be available till the next 50 years.

I think we all know there is no cure but we continue to try everything we can

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Well hair loss will be cured 100% sure. Gene editing will allow you to change whatever aspects of your body, including hair.
    I personally think this is where it's all headed. People generally like hair so much, If gene editing becomes a reality, I predict a human population mixed with some freaky looking hybrids.

Click image for larger version

Name:	it.jpg

Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	36070

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Well hair loss will be cured 100% sure. Gene editing will allow you to change whatever aspects of your body, including hair. So once this technique is available, companies won't work on drugs anymore, and not only hair loss drugs. And gene therapy research is much much more funded than hair loss research. Already we can change genes in a blind and/or paralyzed mouse and make it move and see again perfectly. Just a matter of time. Gene editing will kill pharmaceutical companies for good, because once you change your gene by another gene that grow hairs forever, you won't need anything else. It is a single bullet treatment, not a every 2 months injections or something.
    Year of release: 2145. Honestly, this is going to happen but don't look forward to it as you're not going to experience such treatment in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    Year of release: 2145. Honestly, this is going to happen but don't look forward to it as you're not going to experience such treatment in your life.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    This sounds about right considering the frustration factor where everything seems to be at a stand still. Consider that 2145 is 131 years in the future. 131 years ago was 1883.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NY-1883.jpg

Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	36117

I don't agree with Kurzweil's "singularity" hopes and dreams but he does have a reputation for making accurate predictions related to advancements in technology. The following quote is from his Website:

"An analysis of the history of technology shows that technological change is exponential, contrary to the common-sense “intuitive linear” view. So we won’t experience 100 years of progress in the 21st century — it will be more like 20,000 years of progress (at today’s rate). The “returns,” such as chip speed and cost-effectiveness, also increase exponentially. There’s even exponential growth in the rate of exponential growth.

The Intuitive Linear View versus the Historical Exponential View
    Most long range forecasts of technical feasibility in future time periods dramatically underestimate the power of future technology because they are based on what I call the “intuitive linear” view of technological progress rather than the “historical exponential view.” To express this another way, it is not the case that we will experience a hundred years of progress in the twenty-first century; rather we will witness on the order of twenty thousand years of progress (at today’s rate of progress, that is)."

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com

As I mentioned, 1883 was 131 years ago. My grandmother on my dad's side was born in 1890. She lived a long life. I remember asking her when I was young what people would think when she was a teenager if you expressed the belief that one day we would land a man on the moon. She told me at that time anyone who made such statements would be considered crazy. We are of course experiencing technology today once thought impossible. I hope Kurzweil's exponential view kicks into high gear related to positive medical advancements.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    This sounds about right considering the frustration factor where everything seems to be at a stand still. Consider that 2145 is 131 years in the future. 131 years ago was 1883.

Attachment 36117

I don't agree with Kurzweil's "singularity" hopes and dreams but he does have a reputation for making accurate predictions related to advancements in technology. The following quote is from his Website:

"An analysis of the history of technology shows that technological change is exponential, contrary to the common-sense “intuitive linear” view. So we won’t experience 100 years of progress in the 21st century — it will be more like 20,000 years of progress (at today’s rate). The “returns,” such as chip speed and cost-effectiveness, also increase exponentially. There’s even exponential growth in the rate of exponential growth.

The Intuitive Linear View versus the Historical Exponential View
    Most long range forecasts of technical feasibility in future time periods dramatically underestimate the power of future technology because they are based on what I call the “intuitive linear” view of technological progress rather than the “historical exponential view.” To express this another way, it is not the case that we will experience a hundred years of progress in the twenty-first century; rather we will witness on the order of twenty thousand years of progress (at today’s rate of progress, that is)."

I fully agree with the above. I'm sure hair loss would be no different. But...

1) As you know, proving wether or not a hair loss product works usually takes a pretty long time. And I'm not even talking about funding or stuff like that, I'm purely talking about the hair cycle itself. It takes time to prove that treatments are actually working. If it turns out that a treatment is not working that well, it needs to be improved and it has to undergo the same trial to prove its effectiveness. Do you see where I'm going?

2) Funding can be a pretty big obstacle too. Plenty of potentional treatments get delayed or are barely getting any research done on because there is little interest in or because results are lacking, which results in a lack of funding. This will slow down the process even further.

2145 was just a random year I threw out there because the treatment that was being described just sounds so far away from where we're now. I'm not really one of those pessimists who think hair loss isn't going to get a new treatment anytime soon ("anytime soon" is not the same for everyone: some might say 1 year, others might say 10 years), but I do think we have to stay realistic. And honestly, I think the reasons I gave are pretty legit reasons to believe that it's still going to take a while for a bunch of effective treatments to enter the market, no?

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    As I mentioned, 1883 was 131 years ago. My grandmother on my dad's side was born in 1890. She lived a long life. I remember asking her when I was young what people would think when she was a teenager if you expressed the belief that one day we would land a man on the moon. She told me at that time anyone who made such statements would be considered crazy. We are of course experiencing technology today once thought impossible. I hope Kurzweil's exponential view kicks into high gear related to positive medical advancements.

Yeah, I've talked about this subject with some elderly people as well. It's amazing how much technology has done for us in the 20th century (and is still doing for us). I always get pretty excited to see what this world is going to look like in terms of technological advancement in, say, 20 years. I'm not even talking about hair loss related stuff, I'm talking about technological advancement in general. Like you, I also hope Kurzweil's exponentional view kicks into high gear related to positive medical advancements. For example, how awesome would it be if someone finds a treatment against dementia? (Note that I'm not talking about treating the symptons of dementia, I'm actually talking about treating dementia itself.)

Damn Chuck, now you've got me all hyped up about the advancement of todays technologies and about future technologies! Sometimes I wish I could just fast forward a couple of decades to see what mankind is capable of at that moment...

I hope that something revolutionary comes while we can benefit from it, but in terms of what we know and are working on, to me, hair cloning is the most compelling potential treatment. We'll see if they can get over the current hurdles, but I know Bernstein takes a keen interest in it.