+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Hellouser I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm saying the reason is not that anyone would lose money. I agree that there is more money to be made. I'm just saying the average person thinks that hair loss is cured. They think that it is easy to regrow hair, that hair transplant surgery is the easiest solution, that not doing either of these things is laziness and letting yourself go, and that hairpieces are ridiculous because there are so many other options available. Obviously (to us) all these ideas are false, but from the average person's perspective hair loss is cured, and that is why it will never actually be cured.
    In your view, the existing treatments are considered sufficient by most and a "cure" is not a priority largely due to that popular view. Although there is some truth to that theory, I believe all three listed below play a role but the last two are the main roadblocks:

1.) The "good enough" mindset as an obstacle has merit. For example, hair transplant doctors gave their patients large plug grafts for around 30 years even though the results never looked natural.

2.) Even though a cure would be worth billions, there is very little formal research taking place.

3.) According to an oncologist I spoke with, making something grow has an associated cancer risk. I believe cancer risk is the obstacle, researchers have not yet found an effective way to control.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 05-13-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    Mike is right. I've had my peers patronizing me at university when I was 20 and so down about my balding telling me that their father was bald too. That when they "become bald", they'll just have a hair transplant and be done with. Right! They don't even realise that to have a hair transplant, you have to lose your hair first, and that it takes years, sometimes even decades! But no, they think they wake up one morning and are like "oh I'm balding, let's have a hair transplant to solve it once and for all! Fred was such an idiot to be depressed about this. I'm smarter!"

Morons.

Like hellouser, sometimes I despise people and society.
    This is why I come to these forums: Y'all get it. Everyone else thinks I'm being ridiculous.

Sorry guys , i have not baldness problem because i use only natural or herbal shampoo from my childhood. I think chemical shampoo and hair gel occurs baldness problem.

Quote Originally Posted by brandeis View Post
    Sorry guys , i have not baldness problem because i use only natural or herbal shampoo from my childhood. I think chemical shampoo and hair gel occurs baldness problem.
    Die! Wait, learn English first, then die!

we can always combat it.

Quote Originally Posted by lepke View Post
    we can always combat it.
    Yea but for many of us the side effects totally blow.

Well hair loss will be cured 100% sure. Gene editing will allow you to change whatever aspects of your body, including hair. So once this technique is available, companies won't work on drugs anymore, and not only hair loss drugs. And gene therapy research is much much more funded than hair loss research. Already we can change genes in a blind and/or paralyzed mouse and make it move and see again perfectly. Just a matter of time. Gene editing will kill pharmaceutical companies for good, because once you change your gene by another gene that grow hairs forever, you won't need anything else. It is a single bullet treatment, not a every 2 months injections or something.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBang View Post
    Well hair loss will be cured 100% sure. Gene editing will allow you to change whatever aspects of your body, including hair. So once this technique is available, companies won't work on drugs anymore, and not only hair loss drugs. And gene therapy research is much much more funded than hair loss research. Already we can change genes in a blind and/or paralyzed mouse and make it move and see again perfectly. Just a matter of time. Gene editing will kill pharmaceutical companies for good, because once you change your gene by another gene that grow hairs forever, you won't need anything else. It is a single bullet treatment, not a every 2 months injections or something.
    Agree totally

How did you deal with balding as a teen? I'm also balding in high school and it's really tough.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBang View Post
    You're right. That's the ticket.

For example, gene editing is similar to actually replacing gaskets or bearings in a car's engine rather than using a liquid quick fix like stop knock or a stop leak product... similar in my mind to the pharmaceutical quick fix. Some pharmaceutical drugs can be lifesavers while others are just a substitute for a good diet and exercise.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck