+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default The Real Reason Hair Loss Will Never Be Cured

    The real reason that hair loss will never be cured is not that wig makers, transplant surgeons, and drug companies would lose money. The real reason is because the general population already thinks it is. Everyone who isn't losing their hair, including most men and women my age, thinks that Rogaine is this miracle drug which puts you right back at NW1 because they have no reason not to. They also have no reason not to believe that all the snake oil treatments, changes in diet, and even not wearing hats will fix your hairloss problem - and they have no problem telling you all about how you should do this and that as if they know better than you. They all think that if your balding, you're just not trying hard enough to fix this problem, and there's no reason anyone should go bald unless they just don't do anything. When I told one of my friends (who is NW1) that I use a pill to stop my hairloss he was surprised and actually said, "There's a pill for baldness? Why not just use Rogaine?" I've also had people tell me that I should just get a transplant. Problem solved. They are blissfully unaware of the fact that I would eventually run out of donor hair and be worse off than I am now.

    My understanding is that you cannot post links to other sites on this site. As proof of this general idea that baldness is already cured, please google "Hair Loss Myths: Are These 10 Common Hair Beliefs True Or False?" There's a slideshow at the bottom of the short article and slide 6 actually says, "There's no cure for baldness: False." Slide 5 also says, "Balding is linked to old age: True." I started losing my hair at 21.

    When people losing their hair have so many products available why cure it? And since it only happens to the very old anyway why cure it? I really think that there never will be a cure. And that is because most people already think this is cured, or that it isn't a problem worth curing because people live long and wonderful lives before it ever happens to them.

    I realize nothing will come of this I'm just bored stuck in my apartment during an ice storm and felt like ranting. If you took the time to read this, thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    926

    Default

    What is a cure anyway? There's not even a cure for acne, just like hair loss, a dangerous drug with dangerous side-effects.

    Balding linked to old age, this one makes me so mad, I started balding at 17, I wasn't even an adult yet.

    We're not expecting a cure, anybody who's expecting a complete solution for baldness without any downsides is a fool.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default

    I suppose you're right Fred. It would be nice though.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default

    And for what it's worth Fred I am very sorry you had to go through this as a teenager.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    35

    Default

    very true!! Lots of products out there, but not one that stands out as effective. Lots that slow the process, lots that cover things up, but you are right no cure. My brother started thinning even before he graduated from highschool. It crushed him and his self esteem. It makes one wonder, if he had a cure then, if his life would be a lot different. I suspect so.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default

    I feel really bad for your brother and anyone else who started balding in high school. Honestly high school and the first couple years of college when I didn't have to worry about MPB at all were some of the best years of my life so far. The rest has really been good though too so I am thankful. I'm not usually as pessimistic as my first post I think the bad weather here just has me more depressed than usual. Plus my ex-girlfriend broke up with me a few months ago and while I won't admit it to anyone who knows me personally, I'm still not really over her. The relationship itself didn't really last that long but she is very attractive and we were very close for over a year before we dated. I remember this one time shortly into our relationship that she learned I used treatments for MPB and she actually said to me, "I don't know how I would feel about you without your hair." I know I should have seen this as a red flag for a shallow girl who wasn't worth my time, but I actually took it as a compliment that my combover looked so great lol.

  7. #7
    Senior Member baldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bald Head Island
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    The real reason that hair loss will never be cured is not that wig makers, transplant surgeons, and drug companies would lose money. The real reason is because the general population already thinks it is. Everyone who isn't losing their hair, including most men and women my age, thinks that Rogaine is this miracle drug which puts you right back at NW1 because they have no reason not to. They also have no reason not to believe that all the snake oil treatments, changes in diet, and even not wearing hats will fix your hairloss problem - and they have no problem telling you all about how you should do this and that as if they know better than you. They all think that if your balding, you're just not trying hard enough to fix this problem, and there's no reason anyone should go bald unless they just don't do anything. When I told one of my friends (who is NW1) that I use a pill to stop my hairloss he was surprised and actually said, "There's a pill for baldness? Why not just use Rogaine?" I've also had people tell me that I should just get a transplant. Problem solved. They are blissfully unaware of the fact that I would eventually run out of donor hair and be worse off than I am now.

    My understanding is that you cannot post links to other sites on this site. As proof of this general idea that baldness is already cured, please google "Hair Loss Myths: Are These 10 Common Hair Beliefs True Or False?" There's a slideshow at the bottom of the short article and slide 6 actually says, "There's no cure for baldness: False." Slide 5 also says, "Balding is linked to old age: True." I started losing my hair at 21.

    When people losing their hair have so many products available why cure it? And since it only happens to the very old anyway why cure it? I really think that there never will be a cure. And that is because most people already think this is cured, or that it isn't a problem worth curing because people live long and wonderful lives before it ever happens to them.

    I realize nothing will come of this I'm just bored stuck in my apartment during an ice storm and felt like ranting. If you took the time to read this, thanks.
    Saying Propecia is a cure for baldness is as good as saying castration is a cure for baldness. Secondly, propecia doesn't regrow hair, so how can it be a cure. A cure would be something that can turn a NW7 into a NW1. So, you can say that propecia is a way to stop baldness, but not a cure. A cure is something which can reverse some disease. For example, if we talk about a cure for diabetes, it wouldn't be something to prevent diabetes, but something that can bring a diabetic back to normal.

  8. #8
    Senior Member baldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bald Head Island
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    What is a cure anyway? There's not even a cure for acne, just like hair loss, a dangerous drug with dangerous side-effects.

    Balding linked to old age, this one makes me so mad, I started balding at 17, I wasn't even an adult yet.

    We're not expecting a cure, anybody who's expecting a complete solution for baldness without any downsides is a fool.
    Ya, that old age thing also pisses me off, as I started balding when I was merely 13 or 14.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    Saying Propecia is a cure for baldness is as good as saying castration is a cure for baldness. Secondly, propecia doesn't regrow hair, so how can it be a cure. A cure would be something that can turn a NW7 into a NW1. So, you can say that propecia is a way to stop baldness, but not a cure. A cure is something which can reverse some disease. For example, if we talk about a cure for diabetes, it wouldn't be something to prevent diabetes, but something that can bring a diabetic back to normal.
    I agree with you 100%. I'm not trying to say that Propecia is a cure for baldness I'm just saying most people (who are not balding) think that baldness is cured. Also I am very sorry that MPB kicked in for you so early. The misconception that it only happens to old people pisses me off too. I get comments often like, "wow you look older than 22" (now I'm 24 but still I heard that comment a few times at 22 when I tried to grow out my hair to conceal the hairline) its really annoying because if I said that to anyone for any other reason it would be considered so rude. But for some reason that's ok when its MPB that makes you look older. I hope to hold ground with treatments until I grow into my current hair situation. Personally I think my hairline kind of looks like the governor from the walking dead (maybe a little worse but not that much). I think its a pretty good look at his age, just not at 24. My crown is kinda thin too, but its not nearly as noticeable as the hairline.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Notcoolanymore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    A place hot as hell
    Posts
    2,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    I remember this one time shortly into our relationship that she learned I used treatments for MPB and she actually said to me, "I don't know how I would feel about you without your hair."
    Dayum!

Similar Threads

  1. Apart from possible sides, is there any REAL reason to start with fin over dut?
    By Aames in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 04:20 AM
  2. Seasonal Hair loss is REAL - who else has it?
    By NJhair in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2012, 12:41 AM
  3. MPB was cured 40 years ago
    By gmonasco in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Am I Balding or just thinning
11-12-2017 08:18 AM
by smani
Last Post By smani
Today 11:04 AM
Regrow your hair naturally
09-08-2017 02:08 PM
Last Post By jackindia
Today 10:44 AM
What do you think about me?
12-10-2017 11:42 AM
by TUP2020
Last Post By TUP2020
Today 05:17 AM
Complete RU58841 Usage Guide
05-01-2013 07:52 PM
Last Post By icloroxi
Today 01:18 AM