+ Reply to Thread

Default looking for advice

Hi I first notice i was thining in the crown when I was 35. I tried kirkland 5% minoxidil for a year never noticed a difference, stop using it 3 years ago and again noticed nothing. Im now 42 and if my hairloss is progessing its happening real slow. I went for a consultation and was told im a norwalk 3v (medium density in the front, medium middle and low in the crown) and was recomended 3000 grafts fut to the crown and middle and that I have 7000 donor hairs availible. I have fine hair btw. My concern is im a bit scared of the scar and what kind of density could i expect? Is it worth it I dont care about the money part thats np. I think because my age maybe im a good candidate. Any advice would be great. Im booked in to see Rahal in sept giving me plenty of time. Thx

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

Welcome Derek, I appreciate your willingness to share your experiences here with us.
    Your images do show that you are a good candidate for hair transplant surgery.
    There are so many great doctors out there too.
    Dr Rahal being just one of them up in Canada.
    There is also Hasson and Wong, who some would say has set the 'gold standard' in hair transplant surgery (FUT).
    Here in Chicago we have a few great doctors, Dr Panine, Dr Konior, Dr Keller,
    In NY there is Dr Wesley!!
    The list goes on and on.
    By the way, I will be a phase test patient of Dr Wesley's upcoming new technique, 'Pilofocus' scar-less surgery.
    Not too many people know of exactly how this new technique is done.
    I can tell you that it is essentially an innovative new form of FUE surgery that uses specialized endoscopic instrumentation.
    It will more than likely provide the same to more hair density as a traditional FUT but WITHOUT an FUT scar to be concerned about.
    I will be out there in NY sometime late Springtime this year and yes, I will be keeping everyone updated.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    My concern is im a bit scared of the scar and what kind of density could i expect? Is it worth it I dont care about the money part thats np. I think because my age maybe im a good candidate. Any advice would be great. Im booked in to see Rahal in sept giving me plenty of time. Thx
    On the up side, your hair loss isn't that severe for your age. Donor hair caliber, density and the number of hairs per follicular unit play a very important role in patient satisfaction with their final result. The math translates to; twice the hair shaft caliber equals four times the coverage. Personally, if I had fine caliber hair, I wouldn't go the strip route. On the other hand, I would rather go to a master of strip surgery than Dr. AllThumbs who dabbles in FUE. Nearly every surgery day here at Dr. Cole's I see one or two strip scars. Our patient today has a double 2mm strip scar. A 2mm strip scar is one of the better ones. You can't see it with 5cm length hair in the back, but is still bothers our patient and he is having it grafted today. There are good candidates for strip surgery. That would be someone with good scalp laxity, coarse donor hair, and hair direction and caliber that doesn't vary considerably in the area where the strip is removed. Scars can be unpredictable. Some men get a good thin scar while others get a 5mm+ wide scar. FUE, when performed by a master physician generally allows a patient to wear shorter haircuts. Neither surgery is perfect. Some patients get hypopigmentation or little white dots with FUE. ACell is having a positive impact there. With fine caliber hair, I would be concerned down the road with ending up with a strip scar that shows through my hair. Some former strip patients end up with a scar that doesn't show when their hair is styled, but refuse to go swimming because their scar shows through their hair when it's wet.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Thumbs up

Great response Chuck! Derek,,your at the right place for HT advice!

Well those are great responses. I figured fine hair would take more donor hairs to cover, but was hoping fine hair would conceal the scar better. 3000 hairs seems like alot but what do I know. Got me curious about that pilofocus surgery aswell. Thx guys hairloss sucks.

Thumbs up

Derek. Hi I am responding through my smart (dumb) phone while I am at work so please excuse any possible spelling errors-LOL. You're quite welcome for the support that we are all here to give you.. I just wanted to say this dr Wesley is very legitimate as his new technology will show. I am very excited to be a part of his new science. I have on-going private conversations with him as does Spencer Kobren. By the way Spencer will be on live tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    By the way Spencer will be on live tomorrow!
    Yeah!!! Yeah!!! Yeah!!!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Even the hair transplant physicians are excited for new technology. I am anxiously waiting to see results from Dr. Wesley's surgeries using the Pilofocus technique. Good luck. Good results are the goal.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thumbs up

Dr Charles ,
    YOUR support on this means a whole lot. I am sure Dr Wesley will really appreciate your comment
    (I will let him know).
    Thank you for you positive comment here Dr.!