+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mysterious Tweet by Craig Venter responsible for Human Genome Project

J. Craig Venter sure knows how to create suspense. The genomics pioneer posted a portentious-seeming but cryptic Twitter message Monday morning, linking his groundbreaking work on the human genome project with an upcoming medical advance. Here's his tweet:

"13 years ago my team published the first human genome in the journal science. A new beginning for medicine will soon be announced."

His eponymous J. Craig Venter Institute has issued a press release saying he will hold a media briefing on Tuesday, March 4, on "a new genomic-based healthcare solution."

That's the same week Venter is scheduled to talk at the Future of Genomic Medicine conference, presented by the Scripps Translational Science Institute and Science Translational Medicine. The press release didn't mention the conference, but the timing and subject matter certainly suggests a connect.

Very exciting! Could it impact hair loss? I can't wait...scientific community is very excited to see what he has to say...I'll keep you guys posted

I hope the final announcement is something like 'We'll have a product in two, trials have already been underway in Asia.'

Boycott USA & FDA

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    I hope the final announcement is something like 'We'll have a product in two, trials have already been underway in Asia.'

Boycott USA & FDA
    Aren't you Canadian?

Man the genome was sequenced only 13 years ago and so much has progressed since then.

So, we already have quite a few good news in 2014, and the year has just begun. We will now hear more and more positive news every year, and some day we might finally see a cure

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TravisB View Post
    So, we already have quite a few good news in 2014, and the year has just begun. We will now hear more and more positive news every year, and some day we might finally see a cure
    I hope that 2014 offers a lot more positive developments after the misery-fest that was 2013.

At least, in those 2 months of 2014 more surprises came up than in whole 2013. Could have been pure chance - or we've really got our exponential growth of knowledge here.

So this announcement is nothing specific to MPB its just something in general for genetics?

Asian press report that It will open to the public at 8AM(pacific time)

I hope it could be kind of paradigm shift for the cure of MPB

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    So this announcement is nothing specific to MPB its just something in general for genetics?
    Yes. And although exciting, I doubt it's going to be the game changer they make it look right now, but rather some improvement to current gene editing techniques for example