+ Reply to Thread

Default Speed of hair loss

For those of you that started MPB early (18 & 20's) how fast did you hair loss progress with or without treatment?

I noticed my hair loss around 22 -23, so I would say I started losing it around 20 -21. By my mid twenties, I was at least a NW2.5. I buzzed it shortly after that since I could no longer style it like I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I noticed my hair loss around 22 -23, so I would say I started losing it around 20 -21. By my mid twenties, I was at least a NW2.5. I buzzed it shortly after that since I could no longer style it like I wanted.
    How old are you now and how much has it changed since your twenties?

I started receding at the temples around 20-21. It's been a pretty slow recession. No diffuse. I hit NW2-3 around 32. At that age I then went on Fin and Minox for 2.5 years then switched to Dut and Minox. I am now 36.5 and am a little worse than I was at 32. I added the fin back into the regiment. My widow's peak is starting to fade accross resulting in the somewhat common "hair island" up front. I can't really tell, but I may be fading on the top as well but really can't see/feel any loss on the top of my head.

I guess everyone's genetics are different. My guess is that the meds are helping slow the loss but not preventing it. I've never really had serious side effects. My philosophy on the meds is that even if they weren't helping, at least I can take comfort that I did what I could.

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
    How old are you now and how much has it changed since your twenties?
    37 now. I didn't treat my hair loss until about June of 2013. When I started treatments I would say I was a severely diffused NW3 with crown loss. Horseshoe pattern showing, it was bad. Using the big 3 definitely helped reverse some of the loss.

Every individual will progress at a different rate- just take a look at Sting. I new guys who went from being a norwood 1 to norwood 5 within a few years and I know guys whose temples started to recede when they were seventeen, then hair loss stopped until they reached their mid-30's.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Every individual will progress at a different rate- just take a look at Sting. I new guys who went from being a norwood 1 to norwood 5 within a few years and I know guys whose temples started to recede when they were seventeen, then hair loss stopped until they reached their mid-30's.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Most of recession was aroung 19-21...time when I was freaking out about in shit lol. But now it seems to have slowed dramatically or stopped. I guess I'm asking this question to try and look into my future...but the truth is no one really knows but God. The curiosity is killing me. I don't want to spend the rest of 20's worrying about when I'm going to lose all my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    The unpredictability makes baldness so frustrating.

I've also read about guys that went NW3 fast and started using steroids because they felt their hair was already about to die anyway, to their surprise, they still keep the same hairline

Quote Originally Posted by bigentries View Post
    The unpredictability makes baldness so frustrating.

I've also read about guys that went NW3 fast and started using steroids because they felt their hair was already about to die anyway, to their surprise, they still keep the same hairline
    Wow that's pretty interesting.
    Honestly, I'm expecting to be a NW3 by my 30's as my dad was (his was gradual; I think mine is too). I'm just buying my time and saving my money lol. Once I hit my mid 20's i'm gonna get a HT. I know I'd be great candidate to because I have skin complexion ( mixed colored skin) and curly hair that gives that can give me the illusion of more hair coverage.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
    For those of you that started MPB early (18 & 20's) how fast did you hair loss progress with or without treatment?
    For me it took 13 years to go from a relatively full head of teenage hair to a Norwood 5 level. My hair loss started at about 16 though. When I was that age, there were no effective treatments available.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck