+ Reply to Thread

Default New member, long-time finasteride user.

Hi all,
    I've been checking out the site for a few weeks, along with some of Spencer's videos on Youtube. I finally decided to register and get involved more actively. Basically I've been freaking out lately with all the horror stories about fin, to the point where I had to go to a shrink.

I've been on fin 1mg for about 11-12 years. I started getting a really mature looking hairline when I was 20 or so, and it seemed like it was going to keep migrating beyond my already huge forehead if I didn't do something.

I jumped on fin 1mg when I was about 23 and have been doing pretty well. For the first 9-10 years I had very little change except for maybe a 1/4 - 3/8 inch recession in my hairline. No major sides, and good hair density everywhere. At about the 9-10 year mark I turned 32 I guess, I started reading about the guys with the extreme cases of permanent sides, lives ruined, etc. I freaked out and weened myself off inside of two months in descending dosage- .75mg per day for a week , .5mg per day for a week , etc. until I was taking .25 mg every other day.

Then I stopped completely for about a month. I don't know if I really started shedding faster, but I can tell you that this was a very anxious time, and I was literally counting hairs as they shed. I was getting really depressed and sick to my stomach from the thought of losing my hair at a faster rate than before. I had gotten married and settled down, but I really can't pull off a buzz cut, and I was not as ready as I thought I was to be bald.

I soon resumed fin at 1mg and have been able to stabilize over the last year or so. I can only assume that my mpb is not super aggressive since I didn't seem to be affected too badly by the time off fin. I'm going to be 36 this year, and my brother is 37. His hair loss progressed to the point where his hairline is beyond repair, and he has some thinning all around. My father had the same path, and is down to just some fine whispy coverage on top at the age of 60.

Anyway, I just want to let everyone know that this finasteride stuff really has done wonders for me so far. I have had no major sides, and the last couple years have been very sexually charged. However, I am starting to get sketched out about taking this stuff for another 20+ years or whatever. One moment I feel like quitting so I don't mess up my body over time, and the next moment, I am crapping my pants thinking about the accelerated post-fin hair loss, and hormone crash. How do you explain to your friends and family how you lost your hair so quickly if that is indeed what happens?

I guess I should probably just stay on until more people start hitting the 20 year mark and more studies come out. Anyone else having thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading guys!

It's funny how the voices of thousands (some of which probably never suffered fin sides) are louder than the voices of millions.

I hear what you are saying about the fear of sides, but you had success for nearly a decade. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

Hi Karlton , I agree with Notcoolanymore (who is actually cool) when he said to you -"I wouldn't worry about it."
    Based on what youve told us Karlton, the fact is that you had NOT experienced any sides all those years being on Finasteride.
    Its quite understandable that you would have 'freaked out' after reading about 'sides and weened yourself off.
    Then after experiencing shedding you went right back on it.
    Look at it as being a lesson learned and something good to share here.
    Hang around with us Karlton..you have support here.
    Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post
    Hi all,
    I've been checking out the site for a few weeks, along with some of Spencer's videos on Youtube. I finally decided to register and get involved more actively. Basically I've been freaking out lately with all the horror stories about fin, to the point where I had to go to a shrink.

I've been on fin 1mg for about 11-12 years. I started getting a really mature looking hairline when I was 20 or so, and it seemed like it was going to keep migrating beyond my already huge forehead if I didn't do something.

I jumped on fin 1mg when I was about 23 and have been doing pretty well. For the first 9-10 years I had very little change except for maybe a 1/4 - 3/8 inch recession in my hairline. No major sides, and good hair density everywhere. At about the 9-10 year mark I turned 32 I guess, I started reading about the guys with the extreme cases of permanent sides, lives ruined, etc. I freaked out and weened myself off inside of two months in descending dosage- .75mg per day for a week , .5mg per day for a week , etc. until I was taking .25 mg every other day.

Then I stopped completely for about a month. I don't know if I really started shedding faster, but I can tell you that this was a very anxious time, and I was literally counting hairs as they shed. I was getting really depressed and sick to my stomach from the thought of losing my hair at a faster rate than before. I had gotten married and settled down, but I really can't pull off a buzz cut, and I was not as ready as I thought I was to be bald.

I soon resumed fin at 1mg and have been able to stabilize over the last year or so. I can only assume that my mpb is not super aggressive since I didn't seem to be affected too badly by the time off fin. I'm going to be 36 this year, and my brother is 37. His hair loss progressed to the point where his hairline is beyond repair, and he has some thinning all around. My father had the same path, and is down to just some fine whispy coverage on top at the age of 60.

Anyway, I just want to let everyone know that this finasteride stuff really has done wonders for me so far. I have had no major sides, and the last couple years have been very sexually charged. However, I am starting to get sketched out about taking this stuff for another 20+ years or whatever. One moment I feel like quitting so I don't mess up my body over time, and the next moment, I am crapping my pants thinking about the accelerated post-fin hair loss, and hormone crash. How do you explain to your friends and family how you lost your hair so quickly if that is indeed what happens?

I guess I should probably just stay on until more people start hitting the 20 year mark and more studies come out. Anyone else having thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading guys!
    The first time I was on it, I too got scared and got off. Over time, I lost ground so I got back on it last year. Hairloss has stopped and no problems so I see no reason to stop unless you are sure you are having problems.
    Good luck.