+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question About Shedding (another one!)

This is my original post:
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15277

Background: I'm on fin/minox 2x daily/keto 2x weekly

Basically, I'm still trying to answer the question: Is shedding [almost] always good in the first year or so on fin/min/keto/magic potions/etc?

It seems like I'm still shedding a ton, for 45 days or so by now. But, I really cannot honestly tell you that my hair looks like I'm losing about 30 hairs on my hand every shower and 40-50 in the sink rogaining/styling hair. It's longer that baseline, but I think it's still no worse than baseline at 7months... even in this shed. I'd say I'm more comfortable with my hair currently, but obviously not happy - it's scary!

Can a shed at any time in the first year be towards improvement or is there just the 'initial' shed and sheds after that are problematic?

Within the last month there is definitely a lot more new pigmented hairs, but still peach fuzz, growing into and in front of my hairline.

Is it likely that this is just my hair that have 'completed' their sped up cycles on treatment going through towards a dormancy, maybe synced through meds, and will come back better as hoped in a shed? Even though it's 7months in?

Thanks for any input you may have to guide me through the madness!

Also, just for fun - would it be smart to try to add something like Folligen to my hairline? Or wait and see after a year before adding something new? I've read people get some success in thickening existing hairs, which is exactly what I want to do the most.

Remember man some peoples fin results peak 1-2 years in and the same for minox....Could be a very gradual decline then very gradual incline

If your gonna add a treatment be prepared to stick with it

There just doesn't seem to be any stop in sight, and now I'm questioning my response to the treatment and the validity of the fin itself, even though it's from the pharmacy...

At this point I'm definitely at or below baseline on the hairline.. I would say that I am no longer more comfortable with my hair after this last week.

My bathroom is basically a graveyard for my hair...

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    There just doesn't seem to be any stop in sight, and now I'm questioning my response to the treatment and the validity of the fin itself, even though it's from the pharmacy...

At this point I'm definitely at or below baseline on the hairline.. I would say that I am no longer more comfortable with my hair after this last week.

My bathroom is basically a graveyard for my hair...
    budd is started in august and switched to dut in december, im still below basline with no stop in sight...it blows but we have to be patient

give it a full year if ur still losing at the same rate consider dut

Shedding usually happens after the first few months of a new hair regimen. It means your body is getting use to the new hair regimen, after the few months, and you still noticing shedding, maybe there is another factor in your hair loss.

I would really check with a trichologist.

What kind of a shampoo are you using? Does it contains any sulfates?

Quote Originally Posted by lepke View Post
    Shedding usually happens after the first few months of a new hair regimen. It means your body is getting use to the new hair regimen, after the few months, and you still noticing shedding, maybe there is another factor in your hair loss.

I would really check with a trichologist.

What kind of a shampoo are you using? Does it contains any sulfates?
    I never really experienced a shedding like this at the start. I think maybe I just had a delayed shed. It is still going, but I figure that if it doesn't resolve itself, then I just need to get over having hair. Some things just have to resolve themselves...

After about 6 months, I was making pretty good progress regrowing hair. Now at the 8 month mark, I know I have taken a step back. I wouldn't say back at baseline, but not as good as it was. I am doing my best to not over analyse my hair at this point. Just gotta push through and give treatments the full 1.5 -2 years to do their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    After about 6 months, I was making pretty good progress regrowing hair. Now at the 8 month mark, I know I have taken a step back. I wouldn't say back at baseline, but not as good as it was. I am doing my best to not over analyse my hair at this point. Just gotta push through and give treatments the full 1.5 -2 years to do their job.
    Yeah, I'm figuring that my hairline was pretty messed up as it was, so there will need to be more than one hair cycle anyway to bring it close to a thickness that would make me happy anyway.

But, my crown was just starting to thin, and I honestly think that even though it also is shedding that it is definitely healthier than before. So at least I know it must be working.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    Yeah, I'm figuring that my hairline was pretty messed up as it was, so there will need to be more than one hair cycle anyway to bring it close to a thickness that would make me happy anyway.

But, my crown was just starting to thin, and I honestly think that even though it also is shedding that it is definitely healthier than before. So at least I know it must be working.
    It's a good idea to document results. If I were starting Propecia or Avodart, I would get a HairCheck so that hair mass numbers could be compared a year down the road. We offer HairCheck at N/C.

Not a bad idea to document progress/results with photos. Be aware that camera flash can make you look much worse, so lighting consistency is a must for accurate comparisons. A camera flash will make you look like you have less hair than you do in direct sunlight. Flash photographs can be a source of anxiety and depression. I have included a side by side photo below to illustrate the difference lighting makes.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	side-by-side-flash.jpg

Size:	99.4 KB