• Show
Clear All
  • redy
    • Jun 2013

Question About Shedding (another one!)

This is my original post:
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15277

Background: I'm on fin/minox 2x daily/keto 2x weekly

Basically, I'm still trying to answer the question: Is shedding [almost] always good in the first year or so on fin/min/keto/magic potions/etc?

It seems like I'm still shedding a ton, for 45 days or so by now. But, I really cannot honestly tell you that my hair looks like I'm losing about 30 hairs on my hand every shower and 40-50 in the sink rogaining/styling hair. It's longer that baseline, but I think it's still no worse than baseline at 7months... even in this shed. I'd say I'm more comfortable with my hair currently, but obviously not happy - it's scary!

Can a shed at any time in the first year be towards improvement or is there just the 'initial' shed and sheds after that are problematic?

Within the last month there is definitely a lot more new pigmented hairs, but still peach fuzz, growing into and in front of my hairline.

Is it likely that this is just my hair that have 'completed' their sped up cycles on treatment going through towards a dormancy, maybe synced through meds, and will come back better as hoped in a shed? Even though it's 7months in?

Thanks for any input you may have to guide me through the madness!

Also, just for fun - would it be smart to try to add something like Folligen to my hairline? Or wait and see after a year before adding something new? I've read people get some success in thickening existing hairs, which is exactly what I want to do the most.
  • Dan26
    • Jul 2012

Remember man some peoples fin results peak 1-2 years in and the same for minox....Could be a very gradual decline then very gradual incline

If your gonna add a treatment be prepared to stick with it

Comment

• redy
      • Jun 2013

There just doesn't seem to be any stop in sight, and now I'm questioning my response to the treatment and the validity of the fin itself, even though it's from the pharmacy...

At this point I'm definitely at or below baseline on the hairline.. I would say that I am no longer more comfortable with my hair after this last week.

My bathroom is basically a graveyard for my hair...

Comment

• Dan26
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by redy
        There just doesn't seem to be any stop in sight, and now I'm questioning my response to the treatment and the validity of the fin itself, even though it's from the pharmacy...

At this point I'm definitely at or below baseline on the hairline.. I would say that I am no longer more comfortable with my hair after this last week.

My bathroom is basically a graveyard for my hair...
        budd is started in august and switched to dut in december, im still below basline with no stop in sight...it blows but we have to be patient

give it a full year if ur still losing at the same rate consider dut

Comment

• lepke
          • Nov 2013

Shedding usually happens after the first few months of a new hair regimen. It means your body is getting use to the new hair regimen, after the few months, and you still noticing shedding, maybe there is another factor in your hair loss.

I would really check with a trichologist.

What kind of a shampoo are you using? Does it contains any sulfates?

Comment

• redy
            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by lepke
            Shedding usually happens after the first few months of a new hair regimen. It means your body is getting use to the new hair regimen, after the few months, and you still noticing shedding, maybe there is another factor in your hair loss.

I would really check with a trichologist.

What kind of a shampoo are you using? Does it contains any sulfates?
            I never really experienced a shedding like this at the start. I think maybe I just had a delayed shed. It is still going, but I figure that if it doesn't resolve itself, then I just need to get over having hair. Some things just have to resolve themselves...

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
              • Jun 2013

After about 6 months, I was making pretty good progress regrowing hair. Now at the 8 month mark, I know I have taken a step back. I wouldn't say back at baseline, but not as good as it was. I am doing my best to not over analyse my hair at this point. Just gotta push through and give treatments the full 1.5 -2 years to do their job.

Comment

• redy
                • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                After about 6 months, I was making pretty good progress regrowing hair. Now at the 8 month mark, I know I have taken a step back. I wouldn't say back at baseline, but not as good as it was. I am doing my best to not over analyse my hair at this point. Just gotta push through and give treatments the full 1.5 -2 years to do their job.
                Yeah, I'm figuring that my hairline was pretty messed up as it was, so there will need to be more than one hair cycle anyway to bring it close to a thickness that would make me happy anyway.

But, my crown was just starting to thin, and I honestly think that even though it also is shedding that it is definitely healthier than before. So at least I know it must be working.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                  Doctor Representative
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by redy
                  Yeah, I'm figuring that my hairline was pretty messed up as it was, so there will need to be more than one hair cycle anyway to bring it close to a thickness that would make me happy anyway.

But, my crown was just starting to thin, and I honestly think that even though it also is shedding that it is definitely healthier than before. So at least I know it must be working.
                  It's a good idea to document results. If I were starting Propecia or Avodart, I would get a HairCheck so that hair mass numbers could be compared a year down the road. We offer HairCheck at N/C.

Not a bad idea to document progress/results with photos. Be aware that camera flash can make you look much worse, so lighting consistency is a must for accurate comparisons. A camera flash will make you look like you have less hair than you do in direct sunlight. Flash photographs can be a source of anxiety and depression. I have included a side by side photo below to illustrate the difference lighting makes.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
                  forhair.com
                  Cole Hair Transplant
                  1070 Powers Place
                  Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
                  Phone 678-566-1011
                  email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
                  The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
                  Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                    • Jun 2013

Damn, flash makes a big difference.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                      Doctor Representative
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                      Damn, flash makes a big difference.
                      I have a background in video production. Several years ago I edited together a music video of a well-known country rock band. The strong overhead lighting made the blonde drummer appear bald in the back. In reality, he had no hair loss whatsoever back there.

Last year we had another well known drummer in for hair transplants at Dr. Cole's because the overhead lighting exaggerated his hair loss. He actually had pretty decent hair when you see him in person. Just minor thinning on top at around age 40.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
                      forhair.com
                      Cole Hair Transplant
                      1070 Powers Place
                      Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
                      Phone 678-566-1011
                      email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
                      The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
                      Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

Working...