+ Reply to Thread

Default Minoxodil, curious about bad skin and how long it works.

So I've been debating minoxodil since I think it would work well for me since I've got pattern A hair loss (as in the very front but not much temple recession. The hair is just getting thin so I think it could thicken up nicely.) But I've heard some things about it causing premature aging of the skin. Almost like you started smoking. Now i know this would be rare as hell, but then I also hear that minox without fin only works for around 5 years and even then you'll lose hair and thin just slower so I think "Is it worth trying? What if I shed a ton and it doesn't come back, or it makes my skin age and all this for just trying to keep my hair for another 4-5 years." Part of me thinks i'm just better off letting my hair go naturally. I'm gonna be bald anyway by 30 since I won't do fin again, what difference does it make if I'm bald by 25 or bald by 30? At least this way I won't risk being bald at 30 with bad skin and eye bags.

Anyway I know that the skin shit is mega rare, but I got burned by the mega rare sides of fin so I get a little paranoid about this stuff.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post
    So I've been debating minoxodil since I think it would work well for me since I've got pattern A hair loss (as in the very front but not much temple recession. The hair is just getting thin so I think it could thicken up nicely.) But I've heard some things about it causing premature aging of the skin. Almost like you started smoking. Now i know this would be rare as hell, but then I also hear that minox without fin only works for around 5 years and even then you'll lose hair and thin just slower so I think "Is it worth trying? What if I shed a ton and it doesn't come back, or it makes my skin age and all this for just trying to keep my hair for another 4-5 years." Part of me thinks i'm just better off letting my hair go naturally. I'm gonna be bald anyway by 30 since I won't do fin again, what difference does it make if I'm bald by 25 or bald by 30? At least this way I won't risk being bald at 30 with bad skin and eye bags.

Anyway I know that the skin shit is mega rare, but I got burned by the mega rare sides of fin so I get a little paranoid about this stuff.

Anyone got any thoughts?
    I have been using Rogaine foam on and off for many years. It thickens things up a little and the times I've stopped using it, it's not like my hair started falling out. Rogaine (minoxidil) foam is minimally effective and doesn't make your hair oily. Minoxidil originally was used to treat high blood pressure as most of you know and works by dilating blood vessels. Researchers apparently don't know why minoxidil is effective in treating hair loss. It may just be the improved blood flow that helps the hair. That may seem counterintuitive when you think about a possible increase of DHT reaching the susceptible follicles. It's possible that scalp massage and hair brushing could approach minoxidil's effectiveness. Nothing conclusive I'm aware of. If, you're not allergic to minoxidil, I say give it a try. It may be that those claiming they're allergic to it are reacting to propylene glycol added to some brands. You know they put that in automobile anti freeze. Dogs have been known to drink it and many either get sick or die from drinking it. I prefer to not put that kind of chemical on my skin.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

i have very sensiitive skin as it is and it didn't make it any worse

dude i think its worth a shot

you couuld get lucky and be a great responder and save some hair

I thought minox was giving me wrinkles.

Then I realized I've had two creases on my forehead for basically my entire photographed life from whatever reason it may be.

I think the internet is horrible for figuring out sideeffects for drugs... You really should take it as "all of these possible sideeffects are possible, but are very rare and unlikely to happen to me" as people who post online are people who were effected by them. The other 99% of people don't post about anything because nothing happened to them.

You should base it on how you feel about the possible "risk" not what other people tell you, even though it's easier to help you lean one way or another. Drug corporations aren't evil, and they are regulated... If things really happened as much in the entire population as much as the internet sample shows, they wouldn't exist. I'm not saying they never happen, I'm just saying it's unlikely.

That being said, if it does happen you should re-assess your situation at that point. The harsh chemicals in rogaine may cause your skin to dry and wrinkle if you aren't careful about how you apply it, or you don't wash it off your forehead and face, and if you don't ever use things like lotion on your face. This is how wrinkles and aging happens anyway, regarless of minox.

Better off getting the minoxidil spray. I always like it. Aims perfectly, it's from Regenepure.

Quote Originally Posted by lepke View Post
    Better off getting the minoxidil spray. I always like it. Aims perfectly, it's from Regenepure.
    Really? I use the shampoo and like it, maybe I will give their minoxidil a shot.

For the multiple times I've tried it the facial dryness, facial bloating, dark circles under eyes, was un-deniable. When I stopped it went away. Along with the heart issues I had. Just depends on how you react to it though.

Edit: And if you think heart issues are a placebo think again: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1386573/

The potential heart issues are legit. I haven't had any heart problems though.