+ Reply to Thread

Default In need of an affordable doctor in Southern California

Hi everyone,

I am in search of an affordable hair surgeon in southern California to fix my damaged hairline from traction alopecia. I am a 23 year old female college student and only have 2,000 dollars in my savings, which is all for my hair restoration mission. I have gone through the list of doctors from the IAHRS list, and they are all very good but I don't know if I can afford any of them. So far I have been to the Ziering Medical office in Newport Beach and I have messaged Dr. Umar last year. Both doctors told me to try rogaine for at least 6 months. Well, I did it for 3 months and it actually helped to grow little hairs in my temple area, but I discontinued using the product because I started reading about the bad health effects of minoxidil. I am really protective of my organs and don't want any chemicals to be absorbed in my bloodstream to damage them. Anyways, I was happy with the itty bitty growth in my temples, to make my hairline appear more natural and blended into my forehead, until a few days ago when I took a visit to my derm for a laser hair removal session.

I was doing laser on my face (if only I could transfer the hairs on my face, which are plentiful, to the hairs on my temples), and my derm burnt off the hairs that I was growing back, since they were near my brows and kind of blended into my temples. I went home and cried because it felt like all that work of 3 months and the 50 bucks spent for it had gone to waste. I thought maybe now I should consider doing surgery. I am going to apply coconut oil and rosemary oil to my temples and massage every day until this winter. If nothing grows, I will do the surgery.

My biggest issue in finding a doctor is affordability. I will have to start paying back my student loans beginning this summer. Also, I cannot pay upfront, as I only have 2,000 saved. Through googling, I found Dr. Sean Behnam, who has 5 star reviews on the internet, but is not listed in the IAHRS. He offers a VERY affordable plan, with monthly payments that are up to $219 per month with no interest. Is this too good to be true? It seems kind of fishy that he's so affordable, but I have read great reviews so I'm not sure what to think. This is his website:

http://www.igethair.com/about-dr-behnam/dr-sean-behnam/

If you google his name you can see the reviews.

I have a long way to go, but would like to find a doctor by the end of this year. I need as much advice as I can get.

Thank You

shiny,

I see that you joined this community several years ago and trust that you have been researching surgical hair restoration as often as you can.

As much as many of us understand the limitations of financial resources, let me encourage you to not allow affordability to be any basis for your decision on the surgeon that is appropriate for your situation, and especially when repair is needed.

There are endless rating services and although they can be intriguing on the surface, it's the long term results and reputation in the merits of artistry, competency, and ethics.

Always be wary of a price that appears too good to be true because most of the time, it's a marketing basis to draw first time patients.

There are several doctors in Southern California recommend in this community and other online communities and what you will find is that they are recommended in most of the major hair transplant forums.

As much as you may want your situation addressed now, take the time to do research in the arena of HT repair surgeons who are skilled with both techniques of FUHT and FUE because it may very well take a combination of both approaches to get the best optimal end result that you are seeking.

Wishing you the best in your journey...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hi Shiny,

I am in the same boat as you are. I have been trying to research Dr. Behnam as well. Everything on his website and his Yelp review page all sound too good to be true. He is not part of the IAHRS, so that made me a bit skeptical. I actually have a consultation with him this Saturday. I will have to meet him first and see if he can answer all my questions. It is a 2 hour drive for me to Santa Monica, but I do want to meet him in person and see what he has to say. I'll keep you posted.

Drew, how did your consultation with Dr. Behnam go? Was it a free consultation?

I think I just need a doctor who can give me a solid answer for what I should to as a non-surgical solution. So far, I've spoken to two really good doctors, and the first one (at Ziering Mdedical) told me to simply use Rogaine. The second doctor (Dr. Umar) told me to use Rogaine as well. Then, after I realized that Rogaine my cause some serious health effects, I asked him if there were any natural solutions I should try instead. He told me he was developing his own natural product and was looking for people give free samples to to test on. So I applied, and as it turned out, I didn't meet the "criteria" for his experiment. He never even gave me one free bottle or told me what I could purchase on my own as an alternative -____-

I think surgery is just out of the option for now. I'm starting Rogaine again, just because I am impatient. The day that I can put my hair in a pony tail, and not have to worry about exposing my damaged temples, I'll be so relieved.

Hey shinybootsofleather,

I had a consultation with Dr. Behnam a couple months ago on July, 12. It was 100% free. It went very well. I think Dr. Behnam is just a geniune, goodhearted doctor that truly cares about the patient. My consultation lasted over an hour. He really gets down and examines your head and gives you all of his feedback. You are actually meeting with him for the whole consultation, unlike Bosley. I had a consultation with Bosley years ago, and I never even got to meet with the doctor and I felt like I was seriously talking to a car salesman. I felt like he is the right doctor for me. I actually have my surgery scheduled in a few weeks. What lead me to Dr. Behnam was I found him on Yelp and he has outstanding reviews on it. All 5 stars. Also, one of his patients has been taking detailed videos of his whole hair transplant journey with Dr. Behnam. You should definitely check them out. He just recently had a 2nd hair transplant like a month ago. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6z...ZURSPuA/videos

Anyways, to answer your question, I honestly don't think there's any NATURAL way to regrew back your hair. Rogaine pretty much just works on the crown, the back of your head. Rogaine won't work for my thinning and receding hairline. And once you start Rogaine, you pretty much have to use it everyday for the rest of your life. Once you stop it, all that hair that Rogaine help stay in will all fall out. You should definitely go in for a consultation. It's free and there's no harm in it. Have you thought about getting the surgery before? Why is it out of the question? Let me know if you have any quetions. I'll try to answer them as best as I can.