+ Reply to Thread

Default Need some help..

To start, I've been on 1.25mg fin (cutting 5mg 1/4th), 5% foam minox for hairline 2x daily, and 1% keto regenpure DR 2x weekly for.. 7 months now.

I'm having an extremely hard time lately because any improvements that I thought were happening seem to be shedding completely off my scalp in the last month. Like it's just falling and falling with no visible stop in sight.. I'm pretty sure it's cosmetically significant at this point, with my hair becoming even more and more annoying in trying to conceal my thin hairline. I'm writing this right now because I literally just decided to skip class and take a shower again because my hair was completely ridiculous looking after I attempted to style it just now.. I grew my hair out pretty long relative to my usual length of about 1-2 inches on top, which seems to be helping my conceal my hairline. Also, I have a pretty decent sized forehead.

I really would like to buzz it off but I'm very scared of what my hairline might look like with a short cut on top (I'd probably start with cutting it a little longer than an #8 on top to see what it looks like then progress from there)..

A problem is that I still can't come to terms with the fact that my hair is going going going, and I haven't been able to do this for almost a year now. Another problem is I recently started dating someone and I'm afraid how they could react, because I wouldn't say my hairloss is that obvious with my hair currently. Not that I feel like I wouldn't ever be able to find another person or anything, but obviously I'm concerned about how that would effect everything. Which is another problem - I'm completely obsessed with how my hair looks and covering up any traces of my hairloss. It's totally consuming my entire existence and causing me to exhibit some pretty tell-tale signs of depression. Obviously I know that nothing really will magically make my hair appear again, and cutting it off probably will make me trade convenience for appearance, and I can't grow a beard or anything to offset that because I'm just super folicularly challenge. I definitely notice hairloss ever since a few years ago when looking at pictures, but I never really noticed it then and it didn't bother me then.

I guess part of this is that I need a venue to express what I am feeling like right now, but I really would appreciate some advice.. It's gotten to the point where I really, really need to deal with this before it drives me completely and utterly insane. I almost never had self-confidence issues before this last year or so since I noticed the loss, and I really don't want to be like this anymore... Not that I was some beaming ray of sunshine and a beacon of hope for the world before, but you get the point. I was pretty happy with how I looked and who I was.. But I'm also not sure if I have the confidence to just say "f*** what anyone thinks"...

Thanks

How old are you man?

This is exactly where I was just over a year ago, you have to stop obsessing about! It's imperative! Especially if a girl is concerned, most decent girls really won't give a crap, trust me. I know plenty of couples where my friends are losing their hair and their gf's really don't seem slightly concerned about it, mine included! You have to own it man, shrug it off, I know it's hard! I still get down about it but just think, THINK about the million other things that you could be suffering with just now. Hair, it's nothing! At the end of the day it's not that important. Do I still want mine back? Sure I do, but you MUST NOT stop it from letting you live your life freely!

The one thing YOU MUST NOT DO is be afraid to let this girl notice it. It will be the biggest turn off for her. If she sees it, who cares? Shrug it off 'yeah I've been cursed with the mpb gene, kinda sucks bu hey could be worse'. That's it, over with! If it bothers her then **** her!! She's not worth your time anyway! Learning to not care what other people think is probably one of the hardest things do in life buuuuut it's one of the most worthwhile.

EDIT: *It will be the biggest turn off for her if she sees that you are really self conscious about it.

Thanks for the reply, I really do appreciate it!

I'm 22, finishing up university.

I know that it's vain, but I think I'm just scared of having less stock in the appearance market. I've never thought of myself as really good looking or anything, but I think that between the gym and just getting a little older I've really started to hit a stride in the last few years since college. But now I'm fearing the worst.

For me, my biggest problem is that my hairline is just so damn thin on one side. .. It's thick but recessed definitely to at least a nw2 on one side, and then thin but filling in most of the area before nw2 on the otherside. I'm wondering if a buzz would make the rest of my head look a little sparser and then my hairline wouldn't look so thin...

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I really do appreciate it!

I'm 22, finishing up university.

I know that it's vain, but I think I'm just scared of having less stock in the appearance market. I've never thought of myself as really good looking or anything, but I think that between the gym and just getting a little older I've really started to hit a stride in the last few years since college. But now I'm fearing the worst.

For me, my biggest problem is that my hairline is just so damn thin on one side. .. It's thick but recessed definitely to at least a nw2 on one side, and then thin but filling in most of the area before nw2 on the otherside. I'm wondering if a buzz would make the rest of my head look a little sparser and then my hairline wouldn't look so thin...
    Difficult one, well I'm 23, I have a pretty bad hairline and a thinning crown which is quite obvious. I'm also a guitar player so as you can imagine losing my hair hit me pretty fricken hard! It still bothers me but I've learned to accept it. I spent over a year being depressed because of it, lost all of my confidence and wasted countless hours reading the cutting edge section hoping for new developments, so I understand your situation well. It's normal to feel the way you do but you just have to get on with it, that's all I can say.

I started buzzing my hair with like a 2 on the sides and 3 on top, sometimes I would go a grade shorter. It was quite a relief to be honest because my hairloss was much less noticeable and I didn't have to worry about how it looked. Right now I keep it a little longer on top and a 2 on the sides. I'm considering growing it out longer, I know my crown will be more obvious but I don't really care anymore and that's how you need to be. If you're still a NW2 with thick hair honestly don't worry too much, no one will be looking! Only those that are losing hair themselves will notice, it will just look like a normal mature hairline.

Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Bald View Post
    Difficult one, well I'm 23, I have a pretty bad hairline and a thinning crown which is quite obvious. I'm also a guitar player so as you can imagine losing my hair hit me pretty fricken hard! It still bothers me but I've learned to accept it. I spent over a year being depressed because of it, lost all of my confidence and wasted countless hours reading the cutting edge section hoping for new developments, so I understand your situation well. It's normal to feel the way you do but you just have to get on with it, that's all I can say.

I started buzzing my hair with like a 2 on the sides and 3 on top, sometimes I would go a grade shorter. It was quite a relief to be honest because my hairloss was much less noticeable and I didn't have to worry about how it looked. Right now I keep it a little longer on top and a 2 on the sides. I'm considering growing it out longer, I know my crown will be more obvious but I don't really care anymore and that's how you need to be. If you're still a NW2 with thick hair honestly don't worry too much, no one will be looking! Only those that are losing hair themselves will notice, it will just look like a normal mature hairline.
    Does buzzing it down make the thinner areas look thicker compared to the areas that actually are thick, or am I just making this effect up?

My main issue is the hairline is thin enough that I need to push the healthier hair behind it over the hairline, otherwise it looks.. bad.. because it's very thin.

For me buzzing just makes everything appear thinner. If I grew it out a bit, I could probably conceal the thinning areas to make them appear not as bad.

Hey brother, I'm in a nearly identical spot to you.

I know the feeling, one day there's hope, a week later the future looks bleak.

Listen man, you are doing everything you can do to stop this...take some peace of mind in that. Realize the inherent uncertainty of your futhair (future/future-hair ahah what a depressing pun).

I would highly suggest a haircut in which you go real short on the sides and back but just trim the top.

I still have those good days and bad days and at this point am growing bored of the rollercoaster and just accepted that i took control over the hair situation as best i could, and one day i if i shave it all off and embrace bald ill have no choice but to take control over that situation and accept it.

btw personally when my hair gets long it looks thinner/dryer/wispier and i feel like shit then i cut it and have a brief relief of panic lol....Trust me man look at yourself in the mirror and imagine getting rid of all that hair on the sides and back and cleaning up the top it willl look great man

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

Hi Redy ,,
    BreakingBald is giving you very good and very trusted advice.. THAT ADVICE has been 'time-tested' to WORK for everyone. Regardless of what the topic is.
    " Do I still want mine (hair) back? Sure I do, but you MUST NOT stop it from letting you live your life freely!"
    Just be YOURSELF bro!

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Hi Redy ,,
    BreakingBald is giving you very good and very trusted advice.. THAT ADVICE has been 'time-tested' to WORK for everyone. Regardless of what the topic is.
    " Do I still want mine (hair) back? Sure I do, but you MUST NOT stop it from letting you live your life freely!"
    Just be YOURSELF bro!
    Also "BreakingBald" has to be the best poster's name on this forum. Wouldn't that be something if he actually is Bryan Lee Cranston!

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck