+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

No problems there, your hair looks thick and healthy. I don't know if there are any warning signs that you may start balding. Keep watching and checking especially the crown and the forehead hairline. It' your mother's genes that determine male pattern balding, so look at your mom's dad's head of hair. I would not worry about it now, you are too young. Enjoy life and as the other posters said go out and get the ladies/men.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

Hi Dboxler and welcome to the BTT forum !

I understand your reason for being here. BASICALLY You are focused on finding a way to treat your hairline if your scalp begins to show signs of receding.
    Nothing wrong with that my friend,
    I AGREE with the others who have responded here,,your hair looks GREAT..NO WORRIES Db' .
    You are correct , there will be some type of BETTER treatment out there if ever there comes a time in which you might need it.
    Until then,,dont focus heavily on the possibilities that you may.

Cheers!!

I appreciate all of your comments and opinions, it does mean a lot. I hope in the near future that those with MPB can have their hair rejuvenated in a sense with treatments that are underway. I have read about ground breaking experiments just as recent as early this month. They have found a way to regrow the follicles in hair. I recommend reading up on it. It really have me hope for not even myself, but for other people who may or may eventually find themselves dealing with MPB or some sort of hair loss. Very intriguing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley79328 View Post
    Enjoy life and as the other posters said go out and get the ladies/men.
    LOL. We went from go out and enjoy the ladies, to go out and enjoy men. Now we want him to go out and get the ladies/men. Not sure what you are into but as long as you are enjoying your life I'm all for it. BTW, I am not sure where you live, but when I lived in CA I would here that Santa Monica Blvd. was a good place to pick up ladies/men, if you are into that sort of thing.

Regarding your hair. It looks great right now. The only thing you can do at this point is monitor. Take pics every month or two and compare. If you are certain you are balding, then you have to decide whether you are willing to treat your loss with what we have. Many things on the horizon, but we have three things now that work: Fin, Dut, and minox. If you are losing hair, don't wait too long before committing to treatments. Saving hair is much easier than getting it back.

I appreciate all of your responses everyone and I'm in to women.. Haha even though it seems like I get more attention from the fellas... Haha oh well i guess

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dboxler View Post
    I appreciate all of your responses everyone and I'm in to women.. Haha even though it seems like I get more attention from the fellas... Haha oh well i guess
    It doesn't appear you have anything to worry about. You mentioned your father, but how's your mother's father's hair? Does she have brothers? How is their hair? When I was your age I definitely had something to be concerned about.

I remember when I was 14, I was at a friend's house whose father had a full head of hair. My friend's grandfather on his mother's side was visiting one day when I was there and he was a Norwood 7. I still remember telling my friend that he would probably go bald one day. He wasn't happy to hear that at all. I hadn't seen him for years and he had since become a famous sports figure. He's now a Norwood 6. Your mother's father doesn't necessarily doom you to baldness, but you might want to have a look so you can be prepared and take some precautionary measures if you are so inclined.

As a side note, I inherited Norwood 6 genes from both sides of my family. My dad was a Norwood 6 and his father had a full head of hair. His mother's father was bald. My mom's father was pretty bald at 40. On the up side, my wife has a beautiful head of hair and virtually no baldness I know of in her family. Her brother is over 50 and doesn't have a hint of hair loss. My 18 year old daughter has a beautiful head of hair and your recession isn't much more than her's. I'm so proud of her and grateful, she doesn't need to worry about hair. Photo below.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	womens-18.jpg

Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	25193  

My grandfather on my mothers side never has and will never loose more than like 10 hairs on his head.

My dad is bald, but didn't really start loosing much of his until at least 30ish, his brothers have no hairloss pre-50ish.

I'm losing slowly since like 18.

The genetic stuff is not a good prediction at all..

You could inherit great hair or horrible hair from ancestors you never knew existed.

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    The genetic stuff is not a good prediction at all.
    More than 95% of hair miniaturizatiion in men is male pattern baldness.
    The incidence of pattern baldness varies according to race and is based on a person's genetic background. Environmental factors don't seem to have any huge affect on this type of baldness, although identical twin studies indicate smoking, sunburn, stress and alchoholism could make your situation slightly worse. Coffee is good for hair growth. One major-scale study in Maryborough, Victoria, Australia showed the prevalence of mid-frontal baldness increases with age and affects 73.5 percent of men and 57 percent of women 80 years and older. The incidence of baldness in males corresponds to chronological age as a rough rule of thumb. For example, according to Medem Medical Library's website, male pattern baldness affects about 40 million men in the US. Approx. 25% of men begin losing their hair by age 30; 2/3 begin balding by age 60.
    There is a 4 in 7 chance of receiving the MPB gene. Hair loss sometimes begins as early as the end of puberty, and is mostly genetically determined. It was once believed that baldness was inherited from the mother's father. While there is some foundation for this belief, both parents actually contribute to their offspring's likelihood of MPB. The trigger for MPB is dihydrotestosterone, a more-potent form of testosterone often referred to by its acronym DHT. Most forum visitors with hair loss already know that. The mechanism by which DHT accomplishes this is not yet fully understood. In genetically prone scalps DHT initiates a process of follicular miniaturization, in which the hair follicle begins to deteriorate. As a consequence, the hair’s growth phase (anagen) is shortened. Some researchers are claiming, that DHT causes a susceptible inherited (predetermined) area of follicles to be attacked by the body's own immune system. There may be truth to that because steroid creams such as hydrocortisone and Cordran SP for example have a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. Steroids can suppress the immune system. Dermatologists warn that prolonged use of topical steroids can cause skin thinning. For me in particular, I had a skin reaction to poison ivy last year around May. I have been using Cordran SP cream on my hands and noticed my hair looks fuller. I looked this steroid cream up and a listed side is "excessive hair growth". How awful!!!

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    More than 95% of hair miniaturizatiion in men is male pattern baldness.
    The incidence of pattern baldness varies according to race and is based on a person's genetic background. Environmental factors don't seem to have any huge affect on this type of baldness, although identical twin studies indicate smoking, sunburn, stress and alchoholism could make your situation slightly worse. Coffee is good for hair growth. One major-scale study in Maryborough, Victoria, Australia showed the prevalence of mid-frontal baldness increases with age and affects 73.5 percent of men and 57 percent of women 80 years and older. The incidence of baldness in males corresponds to chronological age as a rough rule of thumb. For example, according to Medem Medical Library's website, male pattern baldness affects about 40 million men in the US. Approx. 25% of men begin losing their hair by age 30; 2/3 begin balding by age 60.
    There is a 4 in 7 chance of receiving the MPB gene. Hair loss sometimes begins as early as the end of puberty, and is mostly genetically determined. It was once believed that baldness was inherited from the mother's father. While there is some foundation for this belief, both parents actually contribute to their offspring's likelihood of MPB. The trigger for MPB is dihydrotestosterone, a more-potent form of testosterone often referred to by its acronym DHT. Most forum visitors with hair loss already know that. The mechanism by which DHT accomplishes this is not yet fully understood. In genetically prone scalps DHT initiates a process of follicular miniaturization, in which the hair follicle begins to deteriorate. As a consequence, the hair’s growth phase (anagen) is shortened. Some researchers are claiming, that DHT causes a susceptible inherited (predetermined) area of follicles to be attacked by the body's own immune system. There may be truth to that because steroid creams such as hydrocortisone and Cordran SP for example have a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. Steroids can suppress the immune system. Dermatologists warn that prolonged use of topical steroids can cause skin thinning. For me in particular, I had a skin reaction to poison ivy last year around May. I have been using Cordran SP cream on my hands and noticed my hair looks fuller. I looked this steroid cream up and a listed side is "excessive hair growth". How awful!!!
    What I was trying to express was that looking at your immediate family for predicting your level of MPB is a very common and and very inaccurate way of predicting your timing/level of MPB. You could have genetics from ancestors so old they aren't known by your oldest living relatives!

I also think that 25% is too low at this point. I think the current generation is loosing hair earlier for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    I also think that 25% is too low at this point. I think the current generation is loosing hair earlier for whatever reason.
    I think it could be environmental factors and possibly the fact that corporate lobby dollars have paved the way for all sorts of harmful additives/GMO/chemicals/hormones/antibiotics etc. to slip into our food supply. Several years ago, my wife led the way for my family eating healthy. Four former (relatively minor) health problems mysteriously disappeared! My hair didn't grow back, but it does look better than it once did.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011