+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 9 months on fin. Top hair is lifeless. Hairline the same.

Hey guys.

I'm 23 and I noticed my hairloss last year for the first time when a friend noted that my temples seemed kind of high. I hopped on 1.25 mg/day fin (proscar) 9 months ago and my hairline has stayed the same with a bit of regrowth in the temples (I'm not even a norwood 2 right now). My crown has always been fine. However.. I feel like my mid frontal area right on top of my head has taken a serious blow in the thickness department in the past maybe 4 months. I just notice that the back and sides seem quite thick but my mid frontal area lays flat and lifeless. You can't see my scalp when my hair is long and laying flat, but when I part my hair in that region it really just seems limp. I quite honestly don't remember it being like this 9 months ago, and seeing as I'm not even a norwood 2 (and I have absolutely no family history of diffuse baldness) then I'm not sure this could be a progression of my hairloss, but possibly due to shedding from fin. I'm quite sure that I'm not imagining this, as I used to be able to spike my hair up confidently but now I'd much prefer wearing my hair down.

What are your thoughts on this? I shed maybe 20-30 hairs per day in the shower.. much fewer than before I started on fin. Do you think this could be an effect of shedding and I'm still to wait for that area to recover?

The same thing happened to me when I started Fin. About 3 months into starting I noticed that I could see my scalp through my hair just past the hair line, which I'm confident was not the case before. I hoped that it was "the fin shed" but that was almost 2 years ago, and it hasn't recovered.

Thanks for the reply, Buster. So it hasn't recovered.. but has it gotten any worse since?

I don't think it has gotten worse, but to be honest, ever since it happened I really don't look at my hair too much, because it just bums me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I don't think it has gotten worse, but to be honest, ever since it happened I really don't look at my hair too much, because it just bums me out.
    I know what you mean. This crap sucks.

Just curious if anyone here has had decent results in middle anterior scalp region from fin alone? I have good coverage.. scalp can only be see in strong lighting and if hair is wet or spiked. Most people call me crazy when I tell them I have hair loss, but i definitely have hairloss as evidenced by my hairline. The hair on the top of my head is probably 75-80% as thick as the hair on the back and sides, and I believe this is due mostly to miniaturization in that area (thinner shafts) rather than a loss in hair count. Think I can possibly just thicken those shafts up on fin alone? I'm not really asking for regrowth from dormant/dead follices!

When I started fin my whole entire top of the scalp seemed really dry and lifeless, during the summer. The take away from the rest of this is to try taking better care of your hair in general.

It might have been sun damage, it might have been MPB, but ever since I've been on fin for.. 7months total my hair is darker and more manageable throughout the scalp.

I noticed this as soon as maybe 3 month into fin. My hair is also longer, but I take a lot better care of my hair and don't use harsh shampoo at all, and use both shampoo and conditioner. Most days I only use conditioner. I also use some better hair products, and less of it in total. Hair looks better.

However, I've been shedding like a dog this month in it's entirety, and most of january. I'm not sure how noticeable it is, because my hairline has been very thin since before treatment. It's definitely not worse than when I started anywhere on my head, though, and never was.

Yeah, I am starting to wash my hair less throughout the week as I find shampooing every day really dries it out. I have always used conditioner. I just recently started taking fish oil, MSM, and biotin every morning.. so hopefully my hair will get some of its life back. I feel like my hair needs to be oilier to add some body and shine, and I guess that means my scalp also needs to be oilier.

What I am mostly confused about though is this. My hairline has only early/minor recession (not even a NW 2 yet) and my crown is totally fine. However, I really feel that there is a thinning spot right dead center on top of my head. What kind of hairloss pattern is that? It doesn't seem consistent with my family history of hairloss (the typical recession + crown bald spot, thinning on top over time).

Sounds like diffuse thinning. Maybe in response to treatment?

I'm hoping that is the case, and that it will recover soon enough. I'm going to start using 5% minoxidil to see if it'll thicken my hair up.

My hair on top looks something like the before shots in this video, although not as bad. Btw, does this look real? These results are amazing. If you look in another of his videos, it appears that most of his results were complete after the first 3 months, and then a slow increase from 3 - 12 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvb_...IhagxmcUI72Vgg