+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think those results are possible. Some people are just great responders to minoxidil.

A guy on another forum suggested that I might have TE as a result of taking fin. Is that even possible? Most of the hairs I shed are thinner and less pigmented towards the root, which is what prompted him to say this.

Quote Originally Posted by ericgerard View Post
    A guy on another forum suggested that I might have TE as a result of taking fin. Is that even possible? Most of the hairs I shed are thinner and less pigmented towards the root, which is what prompted him to say this.
    For me...

When I started fin, I slowly stopped shedding immediately and then started slowly shedding a month or so after. At about 3 months in, my hair started getting darker and thicker in the crown. The mid section, which had been lifeless looking too in light, matched the crown again, just thin around my crown cowlick area.
    All the hairs shed were thinning or very thin follicles. Thinner at the end would typically mean that the hair was healthy, and then started dying off typically to MPB, as the hair grows from the root, and everything after the root is not going to change. When a hair gets too heavy it falls out, and DHT'd follicles will fall out much faster due to thinner weaker roots. I'm assuming that some of them must have come back thicker because I wasn't applying minox in the crown and that definitely had gotten better. Like I said, I also treated my hair better, and haven't been in the summer sun since.. summer.

Unfortunately, now I am shedding a lot since about 5.5-6months into treatment, and it's been 7months since starting treatment currently. These hairs seem to be shedding constantly now, and I'm really hoping that what is going on is that the hair follicles that were less affected by DHT are starting to enter telogen and rest, and the weaker hairs that may have started growing around the time of starting treatment and the newer hairs from a few months ago which have a shorter cycle than the healthiest of my hair are restarting again. My only hope with this is that I almost never shed hair that are the length of my longest healthiest hairs, and are usually about as thin and frail as my arm hair.

I guess if my theory is correct, I will post about it so this question will stop occuring unanswered... and then hopefully you will never see me again on these sites.

Well, good luck in the coming months, redy! I'm going to the doc tomorrow and I'm going to see about getting a referral to a dermo. I'd really like to know what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by ericgerard View Post
    Well, good luck in the coming months, redy! I'm going to the doc tomorrow and I'm going to see about getting a referral to a dermo. I'd really like to know what's going on.
    I'd be curious about what he says. I did the same thing after telling my doctor that my hair was worse and the dermatologist just looked at my hair and suggested Rogaine.

I will report back!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'd be curious about what he says. I did the same thing after telling my doctor that my hair was worse and the dermatologist just looked at my hair and suggested Rogaine.
    Honestly, I don't think enough is really known about these drugs by anyone to really give a concrete answer due to the way hormones react differently in just about every single human being.

I really think unless it's very clear that TE is happening, the best thing is to give it a year or so and then reassess. If your hair is worse, you just have to assume that your MPB was stronger than your response to the treatments really.

But, good luck!