+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Emu Oil for Hair Loss?

Look this:

"Emu oil is a natural oil derived from the fat of an emu that is similar to human sebum. When applied to the scalp, emu oil is believed to prevent hair loss and reactivate dormant hair follicles. This hair oil is thought to work by blocking dihydrotestosterone (DHT), increasing cell turnover, and supporting follicle development. Studies have indicated that using emu oil for hair loss might benefit the scalp and increase hair growth. While it is not possible to say whether this treatment will work for everyone, some people do report positive results when using emu oil to treat hair loss.

One of the main reasons emu oil is used to treat hair loss is due to its ability to block DHT. DHT is a testosterone metabolite that prevents the hair follicles from absorbing nutrients. Starving the follicles of nutrients can cause them to shrink, begin producing hair at a reduced rate, and eventually become dormant. Using emu oil for hair loss might help dormant follicles revert back to their original healthy state. This should increase hair growth and thickness as well as prevent future hair loss.

In addition to blocking DHT, emu oil might prevent hair loss by promoting cell turnover and supporting follicle development when applied to the scalp. This oil is also believed to possess anti-inflammatory properties. Using emu oil for hair loss might prevent the formation of tumor necrosis factor alpha (tnf-a). Tnf-a is a cytokine that causes inflammation and might also play a role in alopecia.

The effectiveness of using emu oil for hair loss is not entirely known. Studies have shown that emu oil is effective in reducing inflammation, increasing cell regeneration, and increasing hair growth. These results indicate that emu oil might be an effective hair loss treatment.

Research has also shown that linolenic acid, an essential fatty acid found in emu oil, is effective in inhibiting DHT. Although research has been positive, it is important to note that few studies have been conducted on the subject as of 2011. Some individuals report positive results with emu oil, while others do not notice an improvement in the quality or thickness of their hair.

When using hair oil, consumers should massage the oil into their scalp at least once a day. There are many types of hair oil available to consumers. While choosing hair oil, consumers should look for pure, refined products. High quality emu oil will be free of hormones, trans fats, preservatives and other harmful materials. Using an impure product might expose the body to unhealthy substances and prevent a person from experiencing the full benefits of the oil."

Anything is possible, but just keep in mind how many things have some study showing they might help with MPB in some way. Its more stuff then you might think, and I just have never seen any good evidence any of it really works. Emu oil might work, but how much does it take per day? Do different qualities of emu oil or how its processed make a difference if so how much? Could it be harmful if you use too much? The questions keep rolling and the answers as we know arent there.
    I guess though if your on propecia and want to gamble some money you can try plenty of other stuff like this and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply burtandernie.

I think even many products have been tested, the personal rule at the outset. Sometimes it is possible to find a good improvement in these products, since there is some evidence. It's better than waiting something miraculous or too grand.

Emu Oil? It may do all of those things physiologically in the body, but that doesn't mean your hair will grow. The emu oil seems harmless enough, so no risk in trying, but the research seems a little sketchy at this point. Don't waste your money, yet. More research needs to be done.

I guess I am growing increasingly skeptical and all this stuff needs to prove it works to me before I spend a penny on it over say propecia which I know works statistically speaking in most people.
    I just wish the FDA regulated everything so other crap wouldnt turn into a jungle of lies and false claims.

A friend of mine uses emu oil.

He has amazing results on the hairline, but he uses a lot of other things like the Minox.

I plan to test too.

Probably I will do the test too. It is a cheap product and that foio given no attention to it. People here on the forum care more about the pills, I still prefer a topical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    I just wish the FDA regulated everything so other crap wouldnt turn into a jungle of lies and false claims.
    The FDA only ensures that a product will not be harmful, if a product is approved by the FDA that doesn't mean that it does what it says it does. That's how the laser combs trick people, they say that it's FDA approved.

I've got some emu oil, tried using it daily, either at over night or early in the morning for at least 30 minutes, but it's quite oily which meant that I had to wash my hair every day. I have concerns that washing my hair every day isn't good for my hair, so I probably only did it daily for about 2 weeks. Now I probably only use it once per week. If you get a dry scalp or if minox dries out your hair, then it's good for moisturising. But I'm not convinced it is a miracle hair growth tonic. But as far as I can tell, it doesn't do any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    I've got some emu oil, tried using it daily, either at over night or early in the morning for at least 30 minutes, but it's quite oily which meant that I had to wash my hair every day. I have concerns that washing my hair every day isn't good for my hair, so I probably only did it daily for about 2 weeks. Now I probably only use it once per week. If you get a dry scalp or if minox dries out your hair, then it's good for moisturising. But I'm not convinced it is a miracle hair growth tonic. But as far as I can tell, it doesn't do any harm.
    Only correcting one thing, this story that washing your hair everyday is bad is a myth.

Rather, you should wash your hair every day to keep your scalp clean.