+ Reply to Thread

Default Starting Minoxidil, advice please.

A brief summary, im a NW2 ( i think) 26 year old. I style my hair with a fringe and as such no one apart from my girlfriend really even know about my hairloss, my hairloss is pretty slow, i lost alot unknowingly at about 17 and it hasnt really changed much since.
    Ive kinda got fed up of having to 24/7 hide my hairline so have opted to purchase some minoxidil in order to try and strengthen my hairline to a degree that i may feel more comfortable with doing away with the hair and going short.

I was hoping to get some insight into recommendations for HOW and WHEN to apply it. A bit about my routine. I usually sleep at 11pm, wake up at 7 and shower for work at 9. I straighten my hair and apply hairspray, i then pretty much do not touch my hair until 7am the next morning. My hair has always been a bit on the thinner side, though lots of it where it is, about 2-3 inches long.

I purchased 5% minoxidil foam from minoxidil-direct, i intend to only apply it once a day and just to the hairline for the time being and probably at a later stage to the crown to prevent loss which i imagine i may start to see in 10 years or so judging by my familys loss.

Im not on any other medication, hairloss related or otherwise.

Any info i may have missed out that would be useful to include? Appreciate any and all feedback on the situation.

Regards,
    JJ

You should apply it in the morning and night, or at least one of them every day - consistently for months until you decide if you want to stick with it or not.

If you see results/don't see results after like a year or so, you'll have a pretty good idea of what it does for you and if you're using it right.

Honestly you might want to look into finasteride as well if you're doing rogaine, because it's easier and more effective. However, the possible side effects are worse, so...

Also, what good does straightening you hair do for you? I was considering trying that out or something, but I have no idea how it would make my hair look or if it would damage it..

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    Also, what good does straightening you hair do for you? I was considering trying that out or something, but I have no idea how it would make my hair look or if it would damage it..
    Straightening my hair makes it about 10x more manageable and evens it out for better coverage. I'd be screwed without it, haha.

As for Finasteride, I don't think its entirely needed at the moment since my hair doesn't seem to be progressing yet, though no doubt it will do in years to come.

I'm mainly looking for tips on HOW and WHEN to apply it, like can i apply it at night, shower in the morning and not reapply it but still have it lasting in my scalp? I have read on many occasions that it will last up to 22 hours if applied correctly (So no need for twice a day) and not to shower in the first 4 hours after application.