Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arashi
    • Aug 2012

Hairloss cured ?

Jahoda reported last year that he could create hair on human skin. Unfortunately the hair wasn't cosmetically correct, it lacked things like colour and thickness. As a result of his DP cell culture, the cultured cells only had 22% gene expression left. This was enough to induce hair follicle growth, but not enough inductive capacity to do so with the correct properties.

Jahoda said in his presentation that he suspected that his was because of lack of influence from other cells.

Now, in 3 months, Aaron Gardner, who is a member of Jahoda's group is going to do a presentation at WCHR 2014 called:

DERMAL-EPIDERMAL INTERACTIONS IN 3D CULTURE RESTORE MARKERS OF DERMAL PAPILLA INDUCTIVITY - Aaron Gardner

This SOUNDS like they cracked that last part of the puzzle ! Of course that's just speculation at this point, we will have to wait 3 months to find out if they restored the inductivity to the point that the hair is 100% cosmetically correct, but man ... this does sounds good !!
  • burtandernie
    • Nov 2012

I hope its true because growing a hair in the lab is basically a cure for MPB. Then they need to be able to do them in mass and cheaply at a quick speed. So there is more to it then just this, but this is certainly the hard part

Comment

• Arashi
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by burtandernie
      I hope its true because growing a hair in the lab is basically a cure for MPB. Then they need to be able to do them in mass and cheaply at a quick speed. So there is more to it then just this, but this is certainly the hard part
      Let's hope so. WCHR 2013, now a year ago, was when Jahoda first presented his breakthrough to the world. Now a year later at WCHR 2014 ... who knows .. They might have really cracked it ! The title at least hints at that !

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
        • Jan 2011

2022-2023 the 'cure' will be here, just 8-9 more years of balding and suffering. This falls in line with the "5-10 years away" projection.

Comment

• Arashi
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by PatientlyWaiting
          2022-2023 the 'cure' will be here, just 8-9 more years of balding and suffering. This falls in line with the "5-10 years away" projection.
          Man I would laugh so hard at all these "there will never be a cure in our lifetime" or "it will always be 10 years from now" type of people if in fact Jahoda's group already cracked it

Comment

• bigentries
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by burtandernie
            Then they need someone competent to place it on your scalp.

If it does happen, I'll be happy, but since I started reading forums, I was expecting a different approach to a "cure". This is basically a hair transplant with more work (harvesting the follicles), it would cost a fortune

Comment

• Arashi
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by bigentries
              Then they need someone competent to place it on your scalp.

If it does happen, I'll be happy, but since I started reading forums, I was expecting a different approach to a "cure". This is basically a hair transplant with more work (harvesting the follicles), it would cost a fortune
              Of course there would remain some possible obstacles on the road to the clinic. It might be extremely costly for starters. And still the follicle growth direction might be problematic (Tsuji solved that with small lines from the follicle to the surface, to lead the growth, this most likely would be impossible to do for like 10.000 follicles). But still. If they can grow follicles with 100% correct cosmetic features then I'm going to pop the champagne Cause that's by far the hardest part of this whole venture.

Comment

• clandestine
                • Aug 2011

Guess we'll see in 3 months, won't we?

Comment

• locke999
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Arashi
                  Man I would laugh so hard at all these "there will never be a cure in our lifetime" or "it will always be 10 years from now" type of people if in fact Jahoda's group already cracked it
                  Come on now Arashi, you're getting your hopes way too high. All we see is a title, we don't know exactly what they are going to talk about.

And I think it's like fixing a car, you diagnosed one problem and you think its the main problem but when you fix it you find out you have another huge problem.

Comment

• Thinning87
                    • Dec 2012

let's hope this is actually what we hope it is!

PS Arashi thanks for sharing but you should have a less enthusiastic thread name maybe something a little bit more scientific like the acctual name of the discovery or paper, so when people want to discuss a certain topic, they make sense out of all the mess that the forum is...?

Comment

• Pentarou
                      • Apr 2013

You know, if the discovery of the ultimate cure was announced tomorrow, I'd still want there to emerge a new, really solid treatment for maintenance and regrowth in the meantime. Maybe CB0301 will deliver that, as it is by default the only product in the pipeline, and then as an acne medication that will have to be used off-label.

Anyway, let's hope that Team Jahoda truly is on to a winner.

Comment

• Molten
                        • Feb 2014

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Extraordinary claim: hair-loss cured.

Extraordinary evidence: Demonstrating this cure on an NW7 and transforming them to an NW0.

Until then, the scientific and medical community will continue to remain unimpressed and skeptical.

Comment

• burtandernie
                          • Nov 2012

I do agree though with the above until its proven I am not going to get too excited given the history MPB has had. I hope its true like everyone, but we need to see results. If they can grow a full hair or group of hairs as a complete structure that is nearly genetically identical to normal hair that is a huge step. There are other obstacles though but those I would think are relatively minor in comparison. Assuming this is true I still think 5-10 years before anything could happen with it

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Arashi
                            I would laugh too. Once they crack it, they will say "Now time to put it through FDA approval, which will take another 10 years! but only 5 years for Asia!"

Comment

• Arashi
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by PatientlyWaiting
                              I would laugh too. Once they crack it, they will say "Now time to put it through FDA approval, which will take another 10 years! but only 5 years for Asia!"
                              Once the science is out there surely will be alternatives in less regulated countries, for the daredevils. I'm certainly not going to be one of them, taking such risks just to look better is not a good tradeoff in my book but everyone has to make that decision themselves. But regardless, once they've cured it, I'm going to pop the champagne ! Jahoda presented the biggest breakthrough in hairloss research history last year at that conference, I'm surely hoping he's going to top that this year by telling the world how he cracked he last piece of the puzzle And again, by the looks of the title of that presentation it surely looks like he's going to do just that.

Comment

Working...