+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default PGD2 review by Garza

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1.../exd.12348/pdf

A review by the lead researcher in the PGD2 2011/12 study. A good read indeed.

Key Points:
    "Current work is now focused on demonstrating that in human follicles, already identified GPR44 inhibitors also can reverse the hair growth inhibition by PGD 2 ."

Reasons why PTGDS involvement in AGA makes sense... (everything discussed under that title I recommend you read)

What do you guys think?

Basically, what I got from the article is that there are 3 ways to help prevent hair loss, which is to either inhibit:

1.) prostaglandin D2 synthase (the enzyme that makes pgD2
    2.) GPR44 receptor of pgD2
    3.) PTGDR

So basically, we are definitely messing with hormones which means that it can potentially lead to side effects.

Which also means this has to go through FDA and it will take years and years for them to get a medication out. That is if they started clinical trials today but they don't even have a drug to do these things thus far. I don't know, if Tsuji Lab can come out with something within 12 years, this research is unmeaningful.

Interesting, thanks. Does anyone know if any of the PGD2 blockers commonly used right now (OC, Indo/Chromo, Ramatroban, etc.) block the GPR44 receptor? Or just the CRTH2 receptor?

EDIT: nvm, apparently they're the same thing?

interesting read, thanks for posting

Yeah it really sheds some light on it but also makes you realize how much further research is needed to really understand it better

Quote Originally Posted by locke999 View Post
    1.) prostaglandin D2 synthase (the enzyme that makes pgD2
    2.) GPR44 receptor of pgD2
    3.) PTGDR

So basically, we are definitely messing with hormones which means that it can potentially lead to side effects.
    None of the above are endocrine hormones. ANY drug has potential side effects.

True, but I would take my chances with CB 03 01 over say dutasteride so there are pretty varying degrees severity for side effects. I just dont think we will ever be able to figure out all the sides for any internal medication which is why topical has to be our main focus and only if its not possible then going the internal route. Just too many things affected going internal and that is one of the good points about MPB its on the surface relatively speaking

Im disappointed that people cant grasp the importance of these studies.

These studies show the underlying cause of MPB and only through these will a true cure come out. All other current efforts are hacks which wont even cure the actual disease in your body, only hide it (probably will never be %100 successful when there is still all those problems of the hair cycle caused by prostaglandin imbalance)

Garza/Cotsarelis = trying to cure MPB

Others = trying to grow/clone heaps of hair, which might help with bald people.

There is a big difference.

It is stated that they are currently studying (and therefore will most probably release another paper) various GPR44 receptor blockers on HUMAN HAIR. This paper was written late last year and has only been released recently. It shoulnt be to long before his lab release more data of the effectiveness of these blockers.

This is huge news.

He even gives many reasons as to why PGD2 probably plays a major role.

Quote Originally Posted by HairlossAt15 View Post
    Im disappointed that people cant grasp the importance of these studies.

These studies show the underlying cause of MPB and only through these will a true cure come out. All other current efforts are hacks which wont even cure the actual disease in your body, only hide it (probably will never be %100 successful when there is still all those problems of the hair cycle caused by prostaglandin imbalance)

Garza/Cotsarelis = trying to cure MPB

Others = trying to grow/clone heaps of hair, which might help with bald people.

There is a big difference.

It is stated that they are currently studying (and therefore will most probably release another paper) various GPR44 receptor blockers on HUMAN HAIR. This paper was written late last year and has only been released recently. It shoulnt be to long before his lab release more data of the effectiveness of these blockers.

This is huge news.

He even gives many reasons as to why PGD2 probably plays a major role.
    I agree that PGD2 blockers are criminally undervalued by the cutting edge community. I think part of the reason for the lack of interest is that there's no evidence to suggest current GPR44 antagonists provide regrowth. From the dozens of anecdotal accounts on forums, they seem to very effectively stop hair loss in most cases though, which is pretty huge if it's true - but it's not the dream cure. I do however think that Follica/UPenn have perfectly well cured hair loss through other means.

Quote Originally Posted by HairBane View Post
    I agree that PGD2 blockers are criminally undervalued by the cutting edge community. I think part of the reason for the lack of interest is that there's no evidence to suggest current GPR44 antagonists provide regrowth. From the dozens of anecdotal accounts on forums, they seem to very effectively stop hair loss in most cases though, which is pretty huge if it's true - but it's not the dream cure. I do however think that Follica/UPenn have perfectly well cured hair loss through other means.
    I really believe Follica is our best hope for anything coming anytime soon. The reason we never hear anything from them is because they don't need any money, the other companies like Histogen just get funded in successive rounds so they have to go beat the drum to get more money.