+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dealing with the inflammation

Hi everybody.

To make it short, I'm 20 and my hairline has been receding for quite some years now (to a norwood 3 I'd say), although I didn't really notice it until a year ago. I started to apply minoxidil to my hair two months ago, hoping for a little delaying of the unavoidable. At first, I choosed not to take Finasteride as I didn't think it was worth the risk. I mean, I wouldn't say that I'm happy to loose my hair at such a young age, but well they are going to go anyway, and I prefer to focus on improving the things I have power on rather than taking stuffs that could (I prefer to stress the "could" as I'm not a "finasteride hater" or anything) have a damaging impact on things I definitely care about (obviously ). But actually, that is not the problem I want to discuss here.

My problem is that not only my hair have decided that I was no use to them, but they also wanted to make it clear by causing me a decent amount of pain. Actually, I wouldn't call it "painful", but more like a disturbing sensation which started a few months ago (before I started to apply minox) as I think the whole process has been speeding up : fisrt, my scalp has been feeling very tight for a few months, and I can "feel" (shivers, tingling) the areas where hair are becoming thinner. Sometimes, it's even like a burning sensation. So, I wouldn't say that is really painful, but it's disturbing and distracting whereas I'm making studies that require a high level of focus (well, which one don't right?) which I have not anymore, because of these sensations.

So, after a few researchs on this forum and others about the issue, I found that it may very well be an inflammatory reaction to the whole process of MPB. I must say that I have a really healthy and balanced (I think) diet, doing sport occasionnally. I am indeed experiencing a lot of stress because of my studies, but it was already the case last year and I didn't experienced anything likely on my scalp.

Then, here are my questions :
    - Could Nizoral (or any other shampoo that has ktz 1%, 2%) solve my issue ?
    - Could Finasteride solve it if I decided that this sensation was such a trouble to me that it would become worth the risk ?
    - Could anti inflammatory food (curcumin, omega 3) help with my issue if I took them as supplements ?

Please note that every thought is welcomed.
    Thank you for reading me !

I was just about say tumeric lol it helps me, I mix tumeric now daily with black seed oil and honey seems be helping my whole body.

I also experienced (and still do but to a lesser extent) the tight scalp feeling and itching/tingling/burning sensation especially where I'm losing my hair. Sometimes it also actually hurts too. Hair thins because of hormone activity in your scalp. Androgen blockers inhibit those processes. Left unchecked, inflammation takes over. Many people who start losing hair have itching, tingling, and intense irritation and even pain in their scalp.

This itch is the hallmark of Androgenetic Alopecia (thinning hair). If you have any tingling or itching, your hair loss will move significantly faster. Your scalp must be in a calm state in order to stop this process.

I found that as soon as I use Nizoral 2% the tingling and tight scalp feeling completely goes away and my scalp feels like it can breathe again. I use Nizoral 2% on Mondays and Fridays and leave it in for 4 minutes before washing it out (through trial and error I've found any longer and it burns my scalp making it red). By late Wednesday/Thursday I can feel the tingling building up again which is why I use it twice a week. Essentially Nizoral (ketoconazole) has androgen blocking properties. This makes it an effective anti-inflammatory for hair loss sufferers.

I know people call bs on using Nizoral 2% and say that it makes no difference (and it may well be true for them). I however have been using it for 2 years now (havent tried fin or minox yet) and it has calmed my scalp down SO much and also very slightly made my hair darker and thicker. I know it's not going to stop my hairloss but I can't help feeling I would have less hair today than if I didn't use it. I also like the cosmetic thickening effect it gives immediately after using it

Odd nizoral didnt do a thing for me but I guess everyone is different

Hi and sorry for the late answer.

Thank you all for your answers.

Jazz 1 : I'm French so I didn't now that what we call curcuma is actually turmeric in english ! It really seems to be a very good product for the whole body indeed, I'm considering getting some along with some omega 3 fatty acid to help my body fighting the inflammation.

FlopTurnRiver : Our experiences are indeed very similar. Only difference though is that I never experienced any itching, which is, as you say, one of the most common symptom experienced by guys with MPB. Anyway, I followed your advice and started to wash my hair with Regenpure DR wich has keto 1% (as I said, I'm french and it's nearly impossible to find nizoral around here). It feels great regarding the hair, but I couldn't say it helped so far. I've been using it only 2 times though ; did Nizoral take some time to improve your scalp condition ?

Fish oils like cod liver oil, salmon or mackeral are great natural anti-inflammatories. They are the Omega 3-6-9's. They come in tablet, so easy to take. If you burp up fishy taste after taking them, store them in the freezer and take frozen.

I took fish oil doesnt do anything for me either. Nothing has really ever helped me. When I use a dandruff shampoo it helps for maybe that day then its back again it never goes away could be MPB related. Maybe finasteride could help

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley79328 View Post
    Fish oils like cod liver oil, salmon or mackeral are great natural anti-inflammatories. They are the Omega 3-6-9's. They come in tablet, so easy to take. If you burp up fishy taste after taking them, store them in the freezer and take frozen.
    Didn't know this works.

Fish oil is a good supplement. Not sure it does much for the hair though.

Shelley79328 : I've read that fish oil omega 3 fatty acid has helped some with this kind of scalp issues. I've just bought some, hope it'll help !

burtandernie : Hmm, you're frightening me ! Really, it has got to such a point that I would be cool with losing my hair if that feeling could just go away.. I'm really thinking about finasteride..

Notcoolanymore : As far as I'm concerned, if fish oil can make these sensations disappear, I'll be perfectly happy with it and won't ask it anything more !

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stringerbell View Post
    fisrt, my scalp has been feeling very tight for a few months, and I can "feel" (shivers, tingling) the areas where hair are becoming thinner. Sometimes, it's even like a burning sensation. So, I wouldn't say that is really painful, but it's disturbing and distracting whereas I'm making studies that require a high level of focus (well, which one don't right?) which I have not anymore, because of these sensations.

So, after a few researchs on this forum and others about the issue, I found that it may very well be an inflammatory reaction to the whole process of MPB.
    I had the same sensation when I was in my early twenties. Some researchers are claiming that DHT triggers an immune reaction causing susceptible follicles to be viewed as a foreign object by the body. When I was your age my dermatologist prescribed hydrocortisone cream and it helped relieve the sensation of my hair being "strangled". My hair grew thicker, but I discontinued the steroid use after several months. Steroids are not recommended for regular prolonged use because it causes skin thinning. A steroid cream called Cordran SP has a side effect of excessive hair growth. Here is an article.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck