+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thank you for your answer 35YrsAfter.

I think I'm going to give a try to natural anti-inflammatories before considering anything else. But as it looks like you experienced the very same thing as I do (especially the fact that hair seems to be "strangled", which is exactly how I would describe it) and as you seem to talk about it like an old issue, could you tell me if it ever came back once you stopped taking steroids and if yes, did it stop by itself or did you do something else ?

Also, I was noticing today that whereas my scalp used to be very oily, it clearly isn't anymore. I would even say it has become very dry and I can even see some dandruffs wich I never had before, which may be an other explanation to the sensation of "strangling" and tightness. So I'm thinking, maybe the cold weather of winter,the addition of the drying effect of minoxidil alcohol (I suppose..) and the fact that I'm washing my hair everyday has completely dried my scalp.
    From what I've read so far, scalp massage and oils applied to the scalp (such as olive oil, tea tree oil, ..) could help with my issue. Do you guys agree ?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stringerbell View Post
    Thank you for your answer 35YrsAfter.
    I think I'm going to give a try to natural anti-inflammatories before considering anything else. But as it looks like you experienced the very same thing as I do (especially the fact that hair seems to be "strangled", which is exactly how I would describe it) and as you seem to talk about it like an old issue, could you tell me if it ever came back once you stopped taking steroids and if yes, did it stop by itself or did you do something else ?
    Dr. Sharon Keene has written a series of articles in the Hair Transplant trade magazine called "Hair Transplant Forum International". The articles cover epigenetic studies of identical twins. The bottom line is, sunburn, alcoholism, cigarette smoking and stress are bad for your hair while good general health and coffee are beneficial. Another author wrote an article expressing her belief that vitamin D3 will play an important role in future hair multiplication technology. I believe derma rolling or micro needling is worth a shot and minimally beneficial. I would personally only consider a roller with a .5 needle length. Studies indicate an increased possibility of skin cancer when a person becomes obsessively aggressive with derma rolling. I don't think excessive use of a roller with 1.5mm needles is a particularly good idea.

Natural gas heating during the winter months can really dry skin out. I personally think natural products offer health benefits. It's important to remember though, that the health food and supplement industry are just as vulnerable to marketing hype, quacks and charlatans as any other industry.

For me, alternating shampoos and occasional use of over the counter hydrocortisone cream has proven beneficial.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Thank you again 35YrsAfter for your very informative answers !

As far as my lifestyle is concerned, I think it fits pretty well with what you say, except that I don't drink cofee and I am a vegetarian, which is why I'm already taking D3 vitamin.

As I said before, I'm indeed experiencing a lot of stress but I've started meditation to try to regulate it - I was very skeptical about it at the beginning, but I was eventually convinced by the very conclusive studies about Mindfulness and I strongly recommend it to anyone.

I haven't considered satrting dermarolling as I wasn't that much into fighting my hairloss before my sensations started, but if you believe that it would help, I will be looking into more information about it.

Of course, I'm aware of the potential marketing hype bias of the supplement industry. As I said before, I think I'll go with omega 3, vitamin D3 (I mean I'll stay on it) and olive oil + massaging my scalp for now. There are strong evidences that the first two are beneficial for overall health and could help with my problem, and the combo olive oil/massage could only help and is not worth a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Didn't know this works.

Fish oil is a good supplement. Not sure it does much for the hair though.
    It hasn't been studied for hair loss use. But it has been studied for anti inflammatory use. It can offer up to 25% anti inflammatory effect when taken regularly and NO harmful side effects. (Other than fishy burps)

"A steroid cream called Cordran SP has a side effect of excessive hair growth."

Is it scalp hair or body hair? The general link you have below says increased body hair is a side effect.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I had the same sensation when I was in my early twenties. Some researchers are claiming that DHT triggers an immune reaction causing susceptible follicles to be viewed as a foreign object by the body. When I was your age my dermatologist prescribed hydrocortisone cream and it helped relieve the sensation of my hair being "strangled". My hair grew thicker, but I discontinued the steroid use after several months. Steroids are not recommended for regular prolonged use because it causes skin thinning. A steroid cream called Cordran SP has a side effect of excessive hair growth. Here is an article.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

You should actually use Aloe Vera juice and rub it on your scalp.

No joke.

It's cheap. You can buy stalk at the supermarkets and juice it yourself at home or buy gallons of the juice somewhere like Whole Foods or Walmart.

It will solve it.

Hi everyone !

Back to say that it has been 3 days now that the feelings I was reporting have almost disappeared. Well, my scalp still feels tight, but it's nowhere near what it used to be. I'm not claiming victory of course, as it could just be temporary. But it has been so long since the last time my scalp felt so well, that I needed to say it !

For those who are experiencing the same feelings though, here is the trouble : as I added several things to my regimen in the last week, I can really tell which one is really helping. But let's see :
    - the first day my feelings went away was the day I started massaging my scalp with olive oil and letting it penetrate my skin for about 30 min before showering
    - as I read a lot of safety studies about Propecia and has been kind of convinced, I decided to give it a try 2 days ago but at very little dosage (0.5mg EOD, wich may not be optimal but could help anyway - but please, let's not debate this)
    - I have done two others Regenepure DR shampoos (ktz 1% in it)

To be honest, I strongly believe that it's the massage with olive oil that did the trick, as I can feel that my scalp skin is way less dry than before. Also, I doubt that such tiny doses of propecia (2 x 0.5 mg in 3 days) could help in such a short time. Of course, it could be Regenepure effect that started after a few more shampoos. Or it could be a combination of the 3.

I can't really conclude there, but I thought it might help some. Thank you again for all your advices !

When I was really young and only losing in the front, I did not have any itch or burning at all. The loss up front was and is very gradual. But later when it started in the crown, I got a horrible itch/burning/rashes in the crown area. But only in the crown, not the front and my only guess is to why is because the crown loss was very aggressive, unlike the front. After I went on propecia, the itch/burning did stop, though it took a while. I am not sure that propecia is supposed to help in this way, but it did at least for me.

About 2 years ago my loss started picking up speed and sure enough the itch came back though it was not nearly as bad as before. Went back on propecia (low dose this time) and itch is gone again.

As far as Nizoral goes, the first time it did not seem to work. However more recently I used it before I went back on propecia and it did seem to help.
    I only stopped using it because it got expensive and hard to find for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by hairy View Post

Is it scalp hair or body hair? The general link you have below says increased body hair is a side effect.
    The link I posted refers to body hair. Other links just say excessive hair growth. Dr. Cole commented last Friday that my hair looks thicker. It seems thicker all over. Around 2006, Dr. Cole did use non-scalp hair to repair some unnatural plugginess from earlier surgeries I had from another doctor. On the other hand, my scalp donor hair looks better which had been looking pretty thin.

Some researchers are finding evidence that our immune system plays a role in male pattern baldness. At least one theory puts forth the idea that DHT transforms genetically predisposed hair to miniaturize and transform to a degree, they become unrecognizable to the body. It's believed by some researchers that the man's immune system "finishes off" the hair as it is viewed by the body as a foreign object. That could explain why steroids can promote hair growth or have a side effect of excessive hair growth. Steroids are immunosuppressants. It's possible that a person's immune system plays a role in normal hair cycles and DHT throws it our of whack. Consider nitrous oxide improving combustion and performance in an engine. It also increases wear and tear on an engine and has the potential to burn holes in pistons. To protect an engine, you can either cut back on the nitrous or use stronger pistons and general; engine design. DHT blockers like Avodart and Finasteride reduce the presence of the hormone. Not sure what can be done to strengthen the hairs resistance to DHT. Some researchers claim that DHT "starves" susceptible hair into miniaturization and the immune system finishes the hair off. Of course these are educated guesses because most reputable individuals involved in the research admit they don't fully understand the process of MPB.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011

Quote Originally Posted by hairy View Post

The link I posted refers to body hair. Other links just say excessive hair growth. Dr. Cole commented last Friday that my hair looks thicker. It seems thicker all over. Around 2006, Dr. Cole did use non-scalp hair to repair some unnatural plugginess from earlier surgeries I had from another doctor. On the other hand, my scalp donor hair looks better which had been looking pretty thin.

Some researchers are finding evidence that our immune system plays a role in male pattern baldness. At least one theory puts forth the idea that DHT transforms genetically predisposed hair to miniaturize and transform to a degree, they become unrecognizable to the body. It's believed by some researchers that the man's immune system "finishes off" the hair as it is viewed by the body as a foreign object. That could explain why steroids can promote hair growth or have a side effect of excessive hair growth. Steroids are immunosuppressants. It's possible that a person's immune system plays a role in normal hair cycles and DHT throws it out of whack. Consider nitrous oxide improving combustion and performance in an engine. It also increases wear and tear on an engine and has the potential to burn holes in pistons. To protect an engine, you can either cut back on the nitrous or use stronger pistons and general; engine design. DHT blockers like Avodart and Finasteride reduce the presence of the hormone. Not sure what can be done to strengthen the hairs resistance to DHT. Some researchers claim that DHT "starves" susceptible hair into miniaturization and the immune system finishes the hair off. Of course these are educated guesses because most reputable individuals involved in the research admit they don't fully understand the process of MPB.

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011