Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aeroes
    • Feb 2013

Increasing SHBG

This may be an old Topic. I have heard increasing your SHBG(Sex-hormone-binding-globulin) increases the amount of DHT binded to stop it freely from attacking your hair. As far as I know lower levels of SHBG result in increased activity of DHT and other hormones like oestrogen, which can show up as excess body hair, head hair loss and acne.

I'm not a scientist, I just found this an interesting topic on reducing MPB. Please bump if you think this is a waste of conversation.
  • burtandernie
    • Nov 2012

Its certainly not a waste I mean it might legitimately help lower serum and local DHT levels but the question is always how do you do that exactly to a large enough degree to make a difference for hair? Maybe diet can make some kind of difference long term? I dont know the answer there maybe someone else does

Comment

• Aeroes
      • Feb 2013

Don't quote me on this but from my understanding Animal meat, Dairy, High fat products etc which increase IGF-1 causes a Decrease in SHBG. Diet can certainly contribute to an increase in SHBG. ( i know there are other factors involved as well such as obesity, diseases etc) I know for certain I have above average IGF-1 (I'm fit and healthy, NW2.5)

"The following can cause increased SHBG levels:
      elevated estrogen
      liver disease (hepatitis, alcohol)
      low insulin levels (healthy people, especially eating paleo)
      calorie restriction
      green tea"

I'd rather not play doctor here and see if anyone has some further knowledge on this.

I've read some pretty interesting stuff, I recommend searching the Web about it.

Comment

• Aeroes
        • Feb 2013

Sources:
        The hormonal pattern of a substantial number of men with premature balding resembles in some respects the hormonal pattern of women with polycystic ovary syndrome.

As far as I know if you have excessive free testosterone that creates more free roaming DHT which inturn attacks hair follicles (and whatever other process happens with that). My discussion is increasing SHBG will decrease free testosterone actively converting excessive DHT to do what it likes. How do we increase SHBG? possibly diet and supplements. I read that lower SHBG and high free testosterone is found in men with premature MPB.

Comment

• Aeroes
          • Feb 2013

gah..**** these forums..i give so much but receive so little.

Comment

Working...