Using hair products after surgery? When us safe? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Using hair products after surgery? When us safe?

Just wondering when it is ok to start using hair products such as gels/waxes/ topik & hairspray?

I had FUE 17 days ago so just wondering if it's now safe.

Thanks

I'm in the same position, I've not used any product other than the copper shampoo and conditioner from the clinic.

Have you used any product yet?

I'm surprised at the clinic they didn't give specific instructions of what and when to start using product. I would be cautious and conservative with products if it were me. I would think it would be ok for sprays, but be careful with anything rubbing or touching your scalp. It's only been 17 days, I would give it 30 before I started with all that stuff. I would also suggest trying to start with something with less toxic chemicals and something more natural.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley79328 View Post
    I'm surprised at the clinic they didn't give specific instructions of what and when to start using product. I would be cautious and conservative with products if it were me. I would think it would be ok for sprays, but be careful with anything rubbing or touching your scalp. It's only been 17 days, I would give it 30 before I started with all that stuff. I would also suggest trying to start with something with less toxic chemicals and something more natural.
    I agree with Shelley that waiting at least 30 days from your procedure before using any chemicals would be a good idea. I waited a full 3 months as instructed by my clinic just because they encourage the months immediately post op be as natural of an experience as possible. I would not hesitate to contact the clinic and ask them directly, as different surgeons have different recommendations. You paid good money for your procedure after all, so it would be wise to protect your investment. Plus a good opportunity for the clinic to make sure that everything is going well for you after!! Congratulations on your recent transplant! Happy growing!

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukcali View Post
    Just wondering when it is ok to start using hair products such as gels/waxes/ topik & hairspray?

I had FUE 17 days ago so just wondering if it's now safe.

Thanks
    It doesn't hurt to play it safe. The grafts are in tight between 5-6 days. I doubt something that is normally beneficial to skin would be harmful post-op. I have patted Rogaine foam on grafts on day one, post-op without negative impact I'm aware of.

A while back, I read an article in a hair transplant trade magazine that covered researcher's attempts to keep hair grafts alive out of the body for as long as possible(in vitro). Around 45 days was the survival record. They soaked the grafts in all kinds of things. For example minoxidil proved beneficial in this particular study. On the other hand, oxygen killed the in vitro grafts. What is damaging in vitro may not necessarily be harmful to a transplanted graft 6 days post-op. I personally wouldn't be comfortable using a hyperbaric chamber shortly after surgery. It may be fine though and I don't want to give anyone that sinking feeling.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

IMHO, I think the issue is that at least the epidermis is completely healed and free from scabbing and crusting.

If there are still crevices in open tissue from incisions for any agent or chemical to seep deep into the roots and transplanted follicles, could that have a detrimental effect on them? Or have an adverse effect on the healing process?

Just read all of the "inactive ingredients" of Rogaine especially the foam version which includes countless forms of butane, lactic acid, propane, etc, etc. Not to mention the other multiple derivatives of alcohol based ingredients.

In fact, if you read the labeling, some of the warnings on the bottle state "Do not use if your scalp is inflamed, irritated, painful, or infected".

Because our scalps indeed include some if not most of the above immediately post-op, is it any wonder why many docs want to see the inflammation and other invasive effects on the scalp subside before applying a topical that contain these unnatural chemicals?

A much higher percent of HT docs do not want their patients applying these type of products for at least two weeks post-op of any HT procedure.

Our bodies and the natural process of healing work wonders including the massive amount of blood vessels in the scalp. This is why I am not a big fan of using artificial agents and potentially detrimental chemicals to "jump start" the grafts.

The added use of Liposomol ATP is now being used by many HT surgeons and demonstrating very promising success in the healing process.

Am keeping a close eye on this as it continues to demonstrate wonders...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin