+ Reply to Thread

Default 23 with slight recession at temples.

No thinning at all, and the recession is barely noticeable and I still have good temple points. I'd say I'm about NW 1.5-2 right now based on my hairline, and would be an NW1 with longer hair. I have no history at all of mpb in my family and both grandfathers have a "juvenile" hairline in their 80s. Basically, I'm the only one in my entire extended family who's treading NW 2 territory.

Is this mpb and have I caught it early? Would it be best to start on a regiment and would it help restore any of the recession? Thanks in advance.

How long have you been receding? At NW1 -2, I would say that you did catch it early enough. Now it's time to act. There is no real way to tell what effect treatments will have until you try. I would say if you are a good responder to treatments and you haven't been receding too long, then yes you can grow a good amount of hair back.

BTW when it comes to hair loss sometimes you are just the unlucky one. My dad was the only one in his family with hair loss. All his brothers and even his dad have always had a full head of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    How long have you been receding? At NW1 -2, I would say that you did catch it early enough. Now it's time to act. There is no real way to tell what effect treatments will have until you try. I would say if you are a good responder to treatments and you haven't been receding too long, then yes you can grow a good amount of hair back.

BTW when it comes to hair loss sometimes you are just the unlucky one. My dad was the only one in his family with hair loss. All his brothers and even his dad have always had a full head of hair.
    At the very least for a year. I've been growing out my hair all of last year and recently cut it all off the beginning of this year and it hit me how bad my hairline was. Seriously went from like NW 0.5-1 to NW 1.5-2 within the span of a year. It's good to hear that I could possibly regrow my temples. Should I consult a dermatologist first or is it better to proceed with building a regiment?

Honestly, the hair loss isn't so bad in and of it self and it looks like what is currently on the market can be maintain my hair for quite some years to come. The worst thing about it is the reaction to it from my family. Anytime I bring up to mother that I am receding, she gets very annoyed and is borders on screaming by telling me that I am not going bald, that it's impossible since no one for at least 4 generations has gone bald, and that it's all in my head.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

This might just be you growing into your adult hairline or your genetic hair loss pattern could have skipped a generation. Not that trying some preventative measures is a bad idea, but I doubt they will restore your hairline.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I would say if you are a good responder to treatments and you haven't been receding too long, then yes you can grow a good amount of hair back.
    so which is it

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    This might just be you growing into your adult hairline or your genetic hair loss pattern could have skipped a generation. Not that trying some preventative measures is a bad idea, but I doubt they will restore your hairline.
    A doc tor doesn't think it will come back

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    A doc tor doesn't think it will come back
    I would take the doc's opinion. I am just a hair loss sufferer, not an expert on hair loss by any means. Just giving my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    It would have had to at least skip more than 3 generations. From what I've heard from my parents and uncles, both maternal and paternal great grandfathers passed away with full heads of hair. How rare and unfortunate it must be to catch a gene that did not manifest itself at least once for the past 3 generations.

I wouldn't be so worried if this was a mature hairline, but isn't that itself genetic? Both my fathers and maternal grandfathers have the so-called "juvenile" NW0 hairline. At most, perhaps my paternal grandfather has recessed very slightly and is probably NW1 at worst, and that was rather quite recent.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I am saying that it is not common for hairlines to be restored using either Finasteride or Minoxidil. They are generally used to prevent further hair loss.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile