+ Reply to Thread

Default Transplanting The Crown

Is this a valid question: when does one transplant his crown? I've had a hair transplant by Doctor McAndrews, focused entirely on the front. But I do acknowledge that eventually, I will need crown work. Is the crown tricky to transplant? And is there a right time to do it? Perhaps one must reach a certain age? Or one must first finish transplanting his top/front regions to his desired goals, before moving onto the crown? I am just trying to gather a basic understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
    Is this a valid question: when does one transplant his crown? I've had a hair transplant by Doctor McAndrews, focused entirely on the front. But I do acknowledge that eventually, I will need crown work. Is the crown tricky to transplant? And is there a right time to do it? Perhaps one must reach a certain age? Or one must first finish transplanting his top/front regions to his desired goals, before moving onto the crown? I am just trying to gather a basic understanding.
    I have 2000 in my crown and I'm 38.....almost 39.

Doctor Representative

Default It depends.....

When you transplant in the crown really varies quite a bit depending upon your hair loss pattern, age and goals. Whether or not the patient has been on Propecia and has stopped the hair loss progression is also important.

Since the amount of donor hair is limited, when a patient has hair loss in the front/top as well as the Vertex, we focus on the hairline first. That's what frames the face and affects your appearance most. Then, if there is enough hair in the "hair bank", we can certainly address the Vertex. If we start at the Vertex, just because it's the place with the most loss, we may not have enough hair to accomplish all of the patient's goals.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinSigismondi View Post
    When you transplant in the crown really varies quite a bit depending upon your hair loss pattern, age and goals. Whether or not the patient has been on Propecia and has stopped the hair loss progression is also important.

Since the amount of donor hair is limited, when a patient has hair loss in the front/top as well as the Vertex, we focus on the hairline first. That's what frames the face and affects your appearance most. Then, if there is enough hair in the "hair bank", we can certainly address the Vertex. If we start at the Vertex, just because it's the place with the most loss, we may not have enough hair to accomplish all of the patient's goals.
    Very true!

Robin: Absolutely! Thanks for your insightful answer. The 1,600 grafts that Doctor McAndrews placed in my front regions has -- without doubt -- affected my appearance in a very positive way. It is SO NICE (SOOOOOOO NICE!) to see my hair waves/curls come back to life and to see my hairline soften from the past experience that I had years ago with another, non-IAHRS doctor.

I can't stop looking at myself in the mirror. Had I only known this was a side affect ... :-)

Under the guidance of Doctor McAndrews, I'm looking forward to another 1600 graft session in early 2009, focused entirely on the frontal and temple regions, which should produce a very nice, dramatic pick-up in density. I'll continue to use Propecia and let it works its magic as best as it could in my vertex.

I can't wait!

TeeJay