+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Proscar- Feel like giving up :(

Hey guys, I have now been on Proscar, Rogaine and Nizoral shampoo for just over 7 months now and as the days go on, I feel like I am in the unlucky percentage that Proscar does not work for. I am still losing hair in the shower when I shampoo. I thought proscar was supposed to stop hair loss? I just find it hard to believe that my hair is going to improve while I am still losing hairs. I did not expect this 7 month and a half in. I thought by now, I would have noticed a huge improvement. ahhhhhhhh. This is so frustrating. I dont know If proscar is going to work for me or not now. Is 7 months too soon to notice a huge improvement? While on proscar, are you going to be losing hairs but ur hair still improves in texture and quality? I am only 20 years of age so I thought that I would have responded very well by now.

I have a similar story ;
    Started 1st of july with approximately 0.6 mg of it a day and been upping the dose to 0.8 mg (roughly) which is what i am on to this day .
    At first my hair stop has halted , i was not losing much as a nw6 anyway. But now for about the last 1.5 months . I have been shedding hairs from the upper sides and the back of my head . I get about 10 hairs when i pull them. The hairs that come out are really thin ,like baby hairs.

Its either the fin has started working and shedding weak stuff to come back stronger or like you say , fin is not working :-/

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by townie View Post
    Hey guys, I have now been on Proscar, Rogaine and Nizoral shampoo for just over 7 months now and as the days go on, I feel like I am in the unlucky percentage that Proscar does not work for. I am still losing hair in the shower when I shampoo. I thought proscar was supposed to stop hair loss? I just find it hard to believe that my hair is going to improve while I am still losing hairs. I did not expect this 7 month and a half in. I thought by now, I would have noticed a huge improvement. ahhhhhhhh. This is so frustrating. I dont know If proscar is going to work for me or not now. Is 7 months too soon to notice a huge improvement? While on proscar, are you going to be losing hairs but ur hair still improves in texture and quality? I am only 20 years of age so I thought that I would have responded very well by now.
    Sometimes it's time to try other combinations. Durasteride for instance can be an effective alternative.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

I was feeling the exact same thing lately. I am older than you though, 37. Have been taking fin for about the same time as you. I have seen results, but nothing to write home about. I feel like quitting, but I agreed to see this out for at least a year and a half. I will just have to deal with the emotional ups and downs until then.

Another thing that we have to remember is that we are all different. I have heard of guys with major loss respond to meds within the first few months of treatment. I have heard of others that didn't show regrowth until the year and a half mark. I would say hang in there and see it through at least until the end of the year. If at that point you still see no improvement, then move on to another treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I have seen results, but nothing to write home about. I feel like quitting, but I agreed to see this out for at least a year and a half. I will just have to deal with the emotional ups and downs until then.
    At least it seems as though you have halted your hair loss for the time being, that''s a good reason to stick with Fin right there. I'm the same age as you and started Fin almost two years ago and within the first few months my hair took on a shed and it hasn't recovered. I spoke with my doctor about it and he basically said that for all I know the Fin is slowing my hair loss and if I hadn't been on it my hair could have been worse. So even though I haven't had a good experience with Fin, I don't want to quit because I may lose more than I already have. On the bright side, I don't think that I've lost any more hair since the shed in the beginning, so maybe the weak hairs were forced out and it's too late for them to come back healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    At least it seems as though you have halted your hair loss for the time being, that''s a good reason to stick with Fin right there. I'm the same age as you and started Fin almost two years ago and within the first few months my hair took on a shed and it hasn't recovered. I spoke with my doctor about it and he basically said that for all I know the Fin is slowing my hair loss and if I hadn't been on it my hair could have been worse. So even though I haven't had a good experience with Fin, I don't want to quit because I may lose more than I already have. On the bright side, I don't think that I've lost any more hair since the shed in the beginning, so maybe the weak hairs were forced out and it's too late for them to come back healthy.
    Your right, I am just being greedy. I should just be happy with what I was able to gain at this point. I also see your point about quitting. It sucks because so many of us don't want to stop taking fin because of the "what if". "What if our hair gets worse or would have been worse if we had stopped?" This battle has driven me crazy, haha.

I didn't see results for about a year. Check out Bernstein medical web page. He ha a few before and after from meds. Some results are 2 years out.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I didn't see results for about a year. Check out Bernstein medical web page. He ha a few before and after from meds. Some results are 2 years out.
    Yeah but your result will only take about one year!

It was great meeting you yesterday. Usually at about 5 months you will begin to see an improvement and at 8-13 months, you'll recognize/remember the man in the mirror from 10 years ago!"

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new-surgery.jpg

Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	25088  

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Yeah but your result will only take about one year!

It was great meeting you yesterday. Usually at about 5 months you will begin to see an improvement and at 8-13 months, you'll recognize/remember the man in the mirror from 10 years ago!"

forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Good deal! It was great meeting everyone. Funny, Cole asked me how I style my hair. I was thinking in my head, I style it to hide the thinning. I haven't thought about hair styling sense I was 28.