+ Reply to Thread

Default 20yo male looking to start fin - story+pics inside)

I'll start from the beginning I guess. Since I turned about 16 I think I noticed my hair was falling out easier than what I would expect of it. I just let things run their course, as I did not notice any receding until I turned 19.

At 19 I noticed my corners were going, and once I realised this I could never ignore it. It was always so blatantly obvious for me and I was quite embarrassed about losing my hair at 19. Out of everyone on both my mothers and fathers side, the only one (out of 8 males, including my grandparents) to go bald was an uncle on my mothers side (his two brothers still have full heads of hair, along with their father). For him this happened at age 35, so it came as a surprise to me that I was noticing the signs at such a young age. I started on Saw Palmetto and Rogaine (5%) and after about 3 or 4 months I noticed a significant reduction in hair loss.

Fast forward 16 months to where I am now my hair line has been maintained to the state of when I started treatment(comparisons in the pictures, let me know what you think). My hair is still very thick (My hairdressers seem to be amazed at how thick my hair is every time I get it cut) and I have come to terms with the recession of the corners.

It came to a massive shock to me when I decided to take an aerial picture of the top of my head the other night (just to compare the progress from 16 months ago). I noticed that there seemed to be a line of hair missing that I hadn't really noticed before, however I never payed any close attention to the top of my head. I don't believe my hair loss has increased at all, which is why I was so shocked. I'll put up some comparisons for you guys from now and 16 months ago, please let me know if you think I'm getting worked up over nothing.

Pictures aside I am still intending on switching from saw palmetto to finasteride. Does anyone have any experience on making this switch? I'm afraid of switching over and losing any hair I have maintained with the Saw Palmetto. As with any of these treatments, it seems like they can take a few months to kick in, I'm afraid of losing a heap of hair in those few months. I saw a doctor today in hopes of obtaining a prescription for fin. He wanted me to get a blood test (to check for thyroid problems) and go over those results before prescribing me anything.

I'd be incredibly grateful to receive any recommendations, observations and questions people might have. As of now I can't think of much else, but I'll add to this post if anything comes to mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hairline 2012.jpg

Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	25044   Click image for larger version

Name:	hairline 2014.JPG

Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	25045   Click image for larger version

Name:	left side 2012.jpg

Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	25046   Click image for larger version

Name:	left side 2014.JPG

Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	25047   Click image for larger version

Name:	right side 2014.JPG

Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	25048   Click image for larger version

Name:	top of head 2012.jpg

Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	25049   Click image for larger version

Name:	top of head 2014.jpg

Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	25050  

I have checked out your pics. I wouldn't worry too much about the top of your head, it looks fine to me. As far as making the switch to fin, I think it is a good decision. I also think you and your doctor are going about it the right way by getting tests done before you start. There is always a chance for shedding though, so just be prepared for it if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I have checked out your pics. I wouldn't worry too much about the top of your head, it looks fine to me. As far as making the switch to fin, I think it is a good decision. I also think you and your doctor are going about it the right way by getting tests done before you start. There is always a chance for shedding though, so just be prepared for it if it happens.
    Thanks for the response. Hopefully he can prescribe me fin when I go in on Monday. I'll probably just completely drop the Saw Palmetto when I start fin, so I'll try to ignore any shedding for the first 6 months or so and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by maq View Post
    Thanks for the response. Hopefully he can prescribe me fin when I go in on Monday. I'll probably just completely drop the Saw Palmetto when I start fin, so I'll try to ignore any shedding for the first 6 months or so and see how it goes.
    I will not crap on saw palmetto because it may work for some, but it didn't work for me. I wouldn't take them both at the same time. If you end up taking fin just keep in mind that things sometimes get worse before they get better. Try to give it at least a year. It sucks we can't all be like those guys that grow all their hair back in 6 months.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

I'll start from the beginning I guess. Since I turned about 16 I think I noticed my hair was falling out easier than what I would expect of it. I just let things run their course, as I did not notice any receding until I turned 19.

I'd be incredibly grateful to receive any recommendations, observations and questions people might have. As of now I can't think of much else, but I'll add to this post if anything comes to mind.
    What is your family history of hair loss?

Some researchers believe that DHT causes an immune response in follicles that have inherited that susceptibility. A person's own immune system attacks those hair follicles. Some men are claiming that over the counter hydrocortisone cream helps reduce hair loss. Dermatologists used to prescribe hydrocortisone cream for the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis. Not sure if they still do. Cordran SP for instance has a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. Always check with you doctor before experimenting though.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    What is your family history of hair loss?

Some researchers believe that DHT causes an immune response in follicles that have inherited that susceptibility. A person's own immune system attacks those hair follicles. Some men are claiming that over the counter hydrocortisone cream helps reduce hair loss. Dermatologists used to prescribe hydrocortisone cream for the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis. Not sure if they still do. Cordran SP for instance has a listed side effect of excessive hair growth. Always check with you doctor before experimenting though.
    Hair loss is completely non existent on my fathers side. On my mothers side one of my uncles is bald and my great grandfather (grandmothers father) is bald. None of my cousins have experienced any hair loss (7 males on my mothers side, 8 on my fathers side) and most are in their early to late 20's.

I am familiar with hydrocortisone cream as I used it for my really bad eczema as a child. I seemed to grow out of that when i was about 10 years old, and have rarely used it since. I do use it still occasionally when I have rashes randomly appear on my skin.

Are you saying that I could get results by applying this to my head? Should I go see a dermatologist or something?

Hair loss is completely non existent on my fathers side. On my mothers side one of my uncles is bald and my great grandfather (grandmothers father) is bald. None of my cousins have experienced any hair loss (7 males on my mothers side, 8 on my fathers side) and most are in their early to late 20's.

I am familiar with hydrocortisone cream as I used it for my really bad eczema as a child. I seemed to grow out of that when i was about 10 years old, and have rarely used it since. I do use it still occasionally when I have rashes randomly appear on my skin.

Are you saying that I could get results by applying this to my head? Should I go see a dermatologist or something?
    dunno man, your hairloss looks pretty standard as how regular MPB starts.

key word is starts, as you really haven't lost all that much yet at the hairline, but it's definitely there.

if you respond to treatment, you should be set for a maintaining and maybe regrowth to the point nobody can notice anything

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    dunno man, your hairloss looks pretty standard as how regular MPB starts.

key word is starts, as you really haven't lost all that much yet at the hairline, but it's definitely there.

if you respond to treatment, you should be set for a maintaining and maybe regrowth to the point nobody can notice anything
    Yea, from everything I have read I'm certain it's MPB. Lets just hope I can find a doctor to prescribe me fin, and hopefully I respond to it.