+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Workout supplements that will not accelerate MPB?

Hey everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone has used any good workout supplements that definitely do not accelerate MPB. Back in high school I used a lot of different stuff (Cytogainer, NO Xplode, Methyl DX, etc.) I'm betting that a lot of that stuff didn't help my hair situation, but I was in great shape. I currently lift weights, ride a bicycle often, and practice Judo twice a week. I am also using finasteride, rogaine foam, and nizoral shampoo to fight further hair loss. I am using a protein shake called Warrior Food Extreme which says it is Vegan and has no additives so I figured this would be a pretty safe bet, but I would like to know of any pre-workout, pro-hormones (if any), or any other supplements that I could add to maximize my physique while not hurting my hair. To be clear I am not at all talking about illegal steroids I'm only asking about legal supplements. Any input is appreciated.

I'm pretty sure anything that advertises an affect on androgens is dangerous, which a ton of these things do.

I only use whey protein shakes, mostly because my parent works in an industry that deals constantly with the FDA and told me about how the supplement industry is especially overlooked by the FDA in general, but also because I now I'd rather take a year to gain muscle weight than a month that affects my body in adverse ways.

Obviously you want to stay far, far away from pro-hormones (which a lot are DHT derivatives) which are powerful oral steroids that skirt legal regulations by changing formulas.

From my personal experience you should be fine with most supplements. Only thing I take is fish oil, multi, and whey protein for convenience. Occasionally a pre-workout. I've heard conflicting reports on creatine, however I didn't notice any side-effects when I used it. If it worries you that much then I'd avoid it.

As far as "natty" supplements that work you're basically limited tore-workout (if desired), whey protein, and creatine. I know some people like drinking BCAAs while on a cut or in the middle of a workout but didn't find it that helpful.

Just looked up Methyl Dx. Only thing I could find out about it is that it's a Superdrol compound. This information is 5+ years old, but if it's the same formula not only will you have to worry about hair loss but you'll need a liver support supplement and a PCT as it will shut your natural test production down. Once gain I don't know what the current version of Methyl Dx is as I can't find anything about it post-2008. Can you add anymore information, when you purchased it, the label, etc.?

^Derp, thought you were currently taking Methyl Dx. That would be a huge no-no for someone concerned about hair loss.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Its been a little over 4 years since I did methyl dx, and if my hair was in the shape its in now I wouldn't have touched the stuff. But at the time my hair looked great and my dad said he didn't start losing his hair until his late 30s so I didn't think I had to worry about MPB any time soon. Since MPB started I have only used protein shakes, but I would really like to add a pre-workout because I feel I have plateaued in the gym. Akai, I have also heard conflicting information about creatine as well, but I am glad that you were able to use it with success. Your positive experience with creatine is very encouraging, so I may give it a shot and if I start to lose hair I'll stop. What about nitric oxide pre-workouts such as NO Xplode? Has anyone used these products and if so did they seem to have a negative impact on hair? I used this years ago and got a great pump in the gym. Than again it wasn't really any different than creatine, so if I anyone has definitely had a negative experience with one of these I will avoid it.

Honestly I have no idea, but what's the deal with pre-workout though?

Is it just energy so you push yourself harder for better results?

If so, most things should be safe - like caffeine based ones.

Anything that's actually altering your chemical balance to change how your muscles react or retain nutrients may cause some sort of adverse effect.

Honestly yes, the addition of a pre-workout is to push myself harder in the gym. But my understanding of pre-workout supplements is that they allow you to train harder and more often. If I can get one or two more reps, throw on an extra 5 lbs on my last set, or it helps me push through a day when I otherwise would be worn out, than I would expect that I would make some gains.

Caffeine based pre-workout supplements might be a good way to go I hadn't thought of this. I do not fully understand the mechanisms behind creatine and nitric oxide, but I know that I have used them before and got really great workouts out of them.
    Last edited by Mike K; 02-12-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: I left something out

how bout var or a saarm like ostarine

Are those 3 legal?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Hey everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone has used any good workout supplements that definitely do not accelerate MPB. Back in high school I used a lot of different stuff (Cytogainer, NO Xplode, Methyl DX, etc.) I'm betting that a lot of that stuff didn't help my hair situation, but I was in great shape. I currently lift weights, ride a bicycle often, and practice Judo twice a week. I am also using finasteride, rogaine foam, and nizoral shampoo to fight further hair loss. I am using a protein shake called Warrior Food Extreme which says it is Vegan and has no additives so I figured this would be a pretty safe bet, but I would like to know of any pre-workout, pro-hormones (if any), or any other supplements that I could add to maximize my physique while not hurting my hair. To be clear I am not at all talking about illegal steroids I'm only asking about legal supplements. Any input is appreciated.
    I believe that good blood circulation is beneficial to hair growth and you'll certainly enjoy that benefit just by working out. Evaluating the products you use takes a bit of work. Usually the top workout supplements have maximum concentrations of all the known legal muscle-building vitamins, amino acids, etc. It comes down to looking up ingredients to see if there any hair loss sides at the high doses.

You're probably already familiar with this site.

Video

Body Building and Hair Loss

I'm not endorsing any of this information, but I do think it's worth evaluating. There may be something helpful.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 05:06 PM.

The Creatine "study" of the Aussie Rugby players was stupid. Ignore it. They could have had them drink milk or not drink milk and the results would have been the same I'm betting.

The only supplements that you should "fear" as it relates to a bad outcome for your hair are those that have the (actual) ability to increase total testosterone, which will increase DHT and estradiol counts.

However by virtue of working out, and lifting heavy shit, you WILL increase your testosterone production naturally - and that's what most fear mongers don't want to impart, they want to blame this or that little pill when the reality is those supplements only increase your ability to lift heavy things by activating and enhancing anabolism through protein synthesis and recovery and blood flow.

Regarding Pre-Workouts: most pre-workouts are caffeine - others also come with their proprietary "energy" blends or whatever. Usually a boat load of Vitamin B6 and B12 as well as some other herbs that -some- people respond to.

Some people get all jittery and worked up and as a result go at things with more vigor. Pre's don't necessarily allow you eek out more honest reps, that would be Creatine due to the creation of more ATP energy storage.

To put it another way - pre workouts can benefit if you're doing a shitload of volume with low rest periods and lighter weight. Creatine is more geared towards the strength lifter looking to turn a 5 rep max into a 6 or 7 rep max.