+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks guys thats some great info. I have been a member of bodybuilding.com for a while, I just never really looked into stuff on that site that was MPB related. The info and links that you have provided will certainly help me make an informed decision 35yrsAfter.

NotBelievingIt, if I understand your post correctly you seem to suggest that creatine does not affect MPB, but working out alone does? If that is the case I guess I will go ahead and start using creatine. The way I see it, letting my body go flabby for the sake of my hair will make me much less attractive. Plus I'm going to lose the hair at some point anyways, and at that point being in good shape is a requirement lol. I believe I will start using creatine pre-workout. My goal is I just want to hold off losing a cosmetically significant amount of hair as long as possible while being in the best shape possible. If creatine won't speed up the MPB, but will get me some gains, I feel its worth it. If I notice a shed while on it I will stop immediately.

If you read up on what Creatine actually does, it makes little sense that it has any connection to hair loss -- unless there is some radically unknown and unexplored pathway that Creatinine takes to effect hair.

Basically all the stupidity out there says you could do nothing but take Creatine and you would start losing (more) hair. This is kind of absurd imo. It represents a fundamental misunderstanding of what Creatine is, and does.

And it was South Africa, not Aussie Rugby. Oops. This is the study

HOWEVER - its entirely possible that the mere act of creation of Creatinine effects the conversion of Testosterone and converts more T into DHT and as such may *accelerate* the rate of loss - but it will certainly not CAUSE it. Its one of those things: if you're going to get it, you *might* accelerate it.

http://www.getds.com/2010062145/Blog...d-dht-part-one this article explains how the study was poorly setup, monitored and controlled.

But in the world of supplementation, and hair loss, even the tiniest of "omg look here at this tiny unreplicated study" gets wide spread attention and spread further then it should.

I already have MPB. If you look at pictures of myself I posted previously on this site in another thread you'll see that I am somewhere between a Norwood 2 and 3 with thinning at the crown (would be at least a solid NW3V by now w/o treatments). If you look at my original question I did say in the title "workout supplements that will not accelerate MPB." I completely understand that creatine and all those other products didn't cause this only genetics did. All the dudes in my family are bald/balding, but I am certainly the youngest one who is, and by quite a few years actually.

So I'm still a little confused. What you're saying is that you do not think that creatine will accelerate MPB. Some other people may think it can, but you personally do not. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    So I'm still a little confused. What you're saying is that you do not think that creatine will accelerate MPB. Some other people may think it can, but you personally do not. Correct?
    Putting simply, yes. I could be wrong, there may be some weird action that takes place that is unique to some people. Just like Propecia works for some guys and others it doesn't and in some guys it apparently causes ED problems.

I've been taking Creatine now for...little less than 5 months and havn't noticed an 'increase' in the loss. I did not load, I was taking it 5g/day for like 3 months, the last two months its been between 5 and 10 every other day when I go to the gym. Frankly based on where I was in October 2011 when I first realized I was going bald, I'm surprised I have as much hair as I do still. I really thought it was going to go fast(er).

Hello! I would like to draw your attention to the fact that not all sports nutrition supplements are the same, so read labels carefully and only buy from trusted bodybuilding supplement manufacturers to find products with clinically effective levels of ingredients. Also keep in mind that some athletes may experience side effects when consuming high doses of certain ingredients, so it's always a good idea to check with your doctor before starting any new supplementation regimen.