+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Article: My hair transplant left me disfigured... and still bald!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...treatment.html

This article isn't too interesting (and it's from a questionable source), but two things jumped out at me:

1) Despite it being a "failure", this person has an incredibly fine scar! I've always imagined strip scars, even "good" ones, to be much wider than this.

2) Excerpt: "Mal ... was one of the unlucky 10 per cent for whom a hair transplant simply doesn't take..." 10 percent??? Someone please tell me that that's not the actual failure rate for HTs. It really cannot be that high.

Baldy,

I tend to agree with you about the failure rate being lower and I believe after following this industry for four decades, that it's more between 3 and 5 percent.

But please allow me to also comment on two things.

First, one's definition of "failure" is broad in context so it's hard to say what each individual's definition of failure is. Some may say it's the scarring, some may say it was the yield (regrowth), and still others may say it's the aesthetic result including the artistic merits of their procedure. Possibly it's a combination of multiple factors being considered.

Secondly, we only get those numbers from those HT patients who actually voice and/or report their substandard result. There are an undefined number of HT patients who never come forward with their dissatisfaction and so we will never know for sure.

Still, I believe it is a low percentage of the whole pie that represents the total number of procedures performed world-wide.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

I would agree the failure rate with hair transplantation is probably very low. The failure rate with properly disclosing all necessary information for a patient to make an informed decision is very high in my opinion with many clinics as most clinics and reps do what suits them best.

Regarding the article, one only needs to view the comment section of which I agree. The failed hair transplant didn't look bad at all but the whole head tattoo looks ridiculous. I guess I don't quite get that part. He was sorry he ever pursued hair transplantation yet he is okay with the tattoo................doesn't make much sense to me.

Yet another unrealisticly ridiculous SMP hair line.

That hair tattoo looks ridiculous and unnatural. Look how round his temple corner is, and it's way too shiny.

This is just and advertisement for TLC and the clinic that performed the terrible SMP work

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    This is just and advertisement for TLC and the clinic that performed the terrible SMP work
    I can only imagine the hairlines some men will opt for if/when unlimited donor hair becomes a reality in one form or another.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    Atlanta, Georgia USA
    Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wolfman3.jpg

Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	25051  
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    Yet another unrealisticly ridiculous SMP hair line.
    I wasn't going to look at the article until I read your comment. Yeah the hairline if ridiculous.

I just detest it when clinics do not make proper and responsible discloser to their patients and just book any procedure for the love of money...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I wasn't going to look at the article until I read your comment. Yeah the hairline if ridiculous.
    As I look at SMP portfolios it's easy to spot what the "artists" are doing wrong. Artistic talent and common sense is what's missing... The ability to accurately simulate hair emerging from the scalp. Big dots, unnatural hairlines and poor color judgement are the three common major screw ups in my opinion and that's nearly everything you can do wrong!! The best work I have seen so far is from Toni Belfatto in Italy.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 05:05 PM.