Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hairofthedog
    • Dec 2013

Choose a cure

If someone gave you the power to chose whether a cure for baldness or a cure for all cancers came into being what would you choose?
  • fred970
    • Nov 2009

Me? Easy: baldness.

Because: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2515569/

Baldness on the other hand will never be prevented by lifestyle changes.

Comment

• hairofthedog
      • Dec 2013

Not all of those factors are controllable by the individual though.

Comment

• Desmond84
        • Oct 2012

No brainer.

Cancer for sure. If you've ever been to a oncology ward, you would never pick baldness cure over cancer cure

We all miss a loved one much more than a loved ones hair!

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
          • Jan 2011

It's difficult to say. For 10 years i've been through social hell. My late teens are gone, I can't get them back, my early 20s are gone too. I'm 25 now and hair loss took over my life, it made me become anti-social. From late teens to early 20s I did nothing. On the other hand, I have had close family members diagnosed with cancer, one person died, possibly too much smoking. And another one, my aunt, she lived a clean life, no smoking, no drinking, no fried food, don't know what happened. Fortunately she survived.

Cancer can take away lives, hair loss can't take away your life, at least not literal. It CAN take away your life in other ways, as in social life, love life, etc. I'm biased because I never had Cancer but I know first hand what hair loss has done to me, so I will go with hair loss.

I would like to add, I know if a parent, or sibling, or myself gets cancer, i'd be singing a different tune. So again, i'm just biased I guess.

Comment

• mmmcoffee
            • Oct 2012

Cancer, hands down. Cancer kills thousands of people. How many people have died from hair loss?

I'd rather live a long life as a bald person than die young of cancer.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
              • Jun 2013

I will choose a cure for cancer, and my hair isn't getting shitty, it already is.

Comment

• Morbo
                • Jan 2012

Don't take it the wrong way, but I think it's kind of a deluded question.
                In 2012 14.1 million people were diagnosed with cancer and in the same year 8.2 million people died because of it.

I personally lost 2 aunts, 1 good friend and a handful acquaintances to cancer, and I know statistically there is a very realistic chance that in my lifetime I will lose my brother, my sisters, my parents, my future wife (?), future kids (?) or any other loved one(s) to that terrible disease. There's even a possibility I'll get it myself.

My hairloss depresses me, but of course the answer is cancer. It's not even close.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Morbo
                  My hairloss depresses me, but of course the answer is cancer. It's not even close.
                  Exactly how I feel about it.

Comment

• hairy
                    • Jun 2011

Dumb thread by a newbie. Of course even smart people such as Desmond choose to reply to the troll...so might as well add my own contribution.

Comment

• PaddyBateman
                      • Aug 2013

Cancer.

No right-thinking person should hesitate to answer that immediately.

Comment

• hairofthedog
                        • Dec 2013

I think it's an interesting question. Clearly it is because of the (mostly) interesting responses it got.

It's a question that puts things into perspective but also shows how our own problems dominate our outlook to absurd extents. Any sane person wouldn't hesitate to say cancer but then again are we (the balding community) fully sane when we spend so much time worrying about the patch of hair on our heads? Is anyone sane? Everyone has their hang-ups.

Comment

• horte
                          • Mar 2013

Even thinking of choosing Baldness over cancer makes me feel like a bad person... however a kind of dark topic, but kinda interesting, if I were to truly think think what fatal/non-fatal disease I would chose hair loss cure over it would be Aids.

Comment

• locke999
                            • Jul 2013

If one of your family member ever had cancer, baldness would only be an afterthought.

Comment

• burtandernie
                              • Nov 2012

I can tell you even people that are gravely ill do care how they look still. I am not saying MPB is worse then cancer I am just saying its human nature to care about what you look like no matter what your going through so I sympathize with people that worry or obsess over it because hair is a pretty defining part of your uniqueness.
                              Oh i didnt read the original question. Of course cancer its stupid to think otherwise as much as wish both

Comment

Working...